Friday, September 11, 2026

A glorious night in the Bronx leads to a solemn day in Manhattan. Ten Takeaways

For the record, Anthony Volpe does not qualify as a prodigal son. He never squandered an inheritance. He never renounced his family. And until last night, he never returned with much more than a fart. 

After last night, who does not feel an escape from Volpe Derangement Syndrome? Trouble is, we've been here before. 

Which comes next, the happily-ever-after? Or the morning after?

Ten Musings from last night.

1. Volpe's slam reminded me of what's been missing since early May: John Sterling's beloved homerun calls, which had become a Yankiverse parlor game. In case you forgot, here was The Master's first-ever call for a Volpean blast:

"Anthony Volpe! A spettacolo oggi! Ohhh the fox socks one to left!"

2. Ridiculous, right? Cringey? Still, Sterling's moments of pure joy conveyed a grand, eloquent innocence. And it has me wondering:

Would it not be a great gesture for Michael Kay or Dave Sims to remember Sterling with home runs call for each player - especially those who were on the team during The Master's final incarnation. (Thinking Judge, Grisham, Rice, Wells, Volpe...)

3. Yes, some would find this as blaspheme. Not anyone could do it, but Kay could, leaning into his own longevity with the organization. He'd have to make it clear that it was a remembrance of John, not an attempt to steal his bit. But with every HR call, people would remember the tradition begun by Sterling.

4. At the least, come next May 4, the anniversary of Sterling's death, could Yankee announcers celebrate him with homer calls? Dunno. But I do know this: You cannot predict baseball, Suzyn.

5. Regardless of what happens next, it was truly satisfying to watch Volpe's grand slam and curtain call. Plot twists are a major reason to follow this show.

6. Cams showed Jazz Chisholm wildly cheering Volpe's HR. Good for him. But it had to hurt. If Volpe hits over the next two weeks, Jazz becomes a platoon player.

7. On a night of hope for misgiven prospects, Jasson Dominguez botched a ball in RF and looks headed back to Scranton. For The Martian - (that nickname is starting to carry a twinge of mockery) - 2026 looks like a total loss. Like 2025 was.

8. MLB did the Yankees and Mets no favor by scheduling a subway series on the weekend of 9/11. It smacks of trying to exploit the city's pain. This weekend, the Mets can play with abandon, for simple redemption. If they lose, who cares? Meanwhile, the Yankees face a pennant race.

9. Max Fried's inability to last four innings is a real concern. We've got Schlittler, Cole and - gulp - Rodon? Yikes. Somehow, I see Will Warren pitching in a critical situation.

10. The Colorado Rockies look like a terrible team - and next season's pennant winner. One reason: An ascending 1B named TJ Rumfield, whom we gave away for Angel Chivilli. I recognize that Rumfield was blocked on the Yankee roster. But I'm amazed at how they never seemed to give him the time of day. You win pennants with great 1B. And Colorado might just have one.

21 comments:

The Hammer of God said...

Anthony Volpe's greatest game as a Yankee! (Thus far, so hope there's many more to come.)

The Hammer of God said...

I love that Volpe's grand slam was hit the other way, to right field. High sinker over the plate. If he tries to pull it, he might still have hit it hard, but probably not a home run, because I can see that being just a long fly to left center. A right handed hitter who goes the other way can make a pretty good living at Yankee Stadium.

The Hammer of God said...

The only thing Jazz Chisholm can do now is to cheer on his mates. He's gotta realize that he's gone, right? With or without Volpe here, I don't think Jazz gets retained next year. Ten days on the DL, he's probably done for the season too.

The Hammer of God said...

IT IS HIGH, IT IS FAR, IT IS ... GONE!!! IT'S A GRAND SLAM!!! FOR FOXY VOLPE!!! HE'S COMIN' TO GET YA!!!

Ceeja said...

I like volpe. But before we wet ourselves, do we know if he can turn a double play?

JM said...

I thought it was interesting that both Lombard and Volpe hit Grand Salamis, both meager 350-footers into the short porch. Those are outs everywhere else, or practically everywhere. I know, I know, a home run is a home run, whether it goes to Monument Park or the short porch or around the Pesky Pole. But I don't think either one was intentional, in the sense that they hit pitches as well as they could and they didn't go very far in baseball terms.

Yes, I'm being a curmudgeon. Sorry. Let the kids enjoy themselves, even if, or maybe because, neither one is a power hitter.

But Fried is a concern, though he says it's alright, part of the plan, working back to full strength. And Judge? After complaining about only getting six innings on Wednesday, he disappeared completely with no press reports of disgruntlement.

We're all aware that while these games do matter, the ones that really matter are the four with Tampa. That will probably decide the division.

I'm still a New Yorker, so I remain hopeful yet skeptical. Amen.

The Hammer of God said...

Neither one was "intentional", and that's why I like it! Most home runs should happen because you squared it up and hit it on the sweet spot. And a lot of home runs should go the other way, especially for righty hitters in Yankee Stadium. Line drive home runs mean you're hitting really well. Moonshots into the black batter's eye protection should be few and far between.

The Hammer of God said...

I think Lombard may have a 30 homer season or two someday. He's a big kid. Has a lot of power. Volpe is a little guy, who should be terrorizing the pitchers with his legs on the bases and with line drives spraying all over the field when he's in the batter's box.

BTR999 said...

Remembering thiose who were lost on that black day, 25 years ago today. 💐

The Hammer of God said...

R.I.P. A moment of silence....

Carl J. Weitz said...

YES should have all the HR calls of the current roster used by Sterling cued up much in the way they had Bob Sheppard's voice ready every time Jeter came to the plate.

JM said...

I still have a hard time thinking about it.

JM said...

Great idea, CW!

HoraceClarke66 said...

Yes, still can't believe it happened, even 25 years later. To the incredible courage of those who died trying to save them—and to everything that the victims endured. May they all have found rest and consolation.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Great idea for the tribute, Duque. It would be very appropriate.

HoraceClarke66 said...

So Fried was on a pitch count last night. But after a dominating first inning, it looked as though they were hitting him. Hard. We'll see.

It was a weird night last night. Very muggy at the Stadium, and I think that kept maybe as many as 3-4 balls from going out for the Yanks, maybe another 1-2 for the Rockies.

HoraceClarke66 said...

I think you're right about Lombard and Volpe, Hammer. Lombard has four inches on Volpe, and could be big. But heaven forbid the Yankees let players develop as they should, as opposed to forcing them into the roles they want them to play.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Also, it's ridiculous that they're not playing Judge every day, trying to knock off the rust. He's not going to get his eye back sitting on the bench.

JM said...

It's the Yankee way.

AboveAverage said...

How Many Lobster Tails, Hoss?
Any Red Ropes or Rat Legs?

Doug K. said...

and remembering all of those killed by the toxins as the years passed.