Watching yesterday. 2-2 late in the game. Said to myself, "You know what? I'd rather watch college football."
I don't watch college football. Maybe a big game and certainly not in September.
And even then only the 4th quarters of close games.
And only I've already read, walked, wrote for an hour, cooked, ate, called friends, checked in on the kids, watched 147 YouTube shorts...
And only if my imagination has failed me to the point where I am beyond caring. About anything.
The Yankees have gotten me to the point of beyond caring. The worst part is that it feels permanent. It is why a number of us here are indifferent to the idea that the games won't take place next year.
Ownership and management, for all the reasons listed today by others have destroyed my love of the game.
It's unfathomable but nevertheless true.
I'd rather watch Brockport play Oneonta and I don't even know if Oneonta has a football team.
10 comments:
Me too. I think all the injuries are part of it as well.
If the owners and the players think that anyone will give a flying rat's ass next year, they've got another thing comin'!
Courtesy Judas Priest:
Whoa ... yeah
You've got another thing comin'
It's a comin' down
A comin' all the time
Very true, Doug! I do like watching college football—though that is now rapidly changing beyond recognition, too: players can make millions, the Big Ten has become The Big 23 And Counting, etc.
All part of our general cultural meltdown. But baseball, especially, is rapidly becoming unbearable. And yes, Piiax, a big part of it is all the injuries.
Remember when you knew what the lineup would be day to day? Some changes now and then, but it was pretty steady. You knew the players, you got attached, you rooted for them.
That was fun. Even if the team wasn't that good.
Yeah, that's a big part of it. The leadoff man was the leadoff man. The cleanup hitter was the cleanup hitter. The players also wanted stability. It was a big deal when there was a lineup change. These days, everybody hits everywhere in the lineup. Just like everybody plays everywhere on the field. It's disorienting to watch. I gotta think it's disorienting for the players too. They do this kind of stuff in Little League. But that's out of necessity, right? Why do they do all this crazy stuff today in the majors? I don't get it.
Another thing is with the openers, the decline of the starting pitcher. Pretty soon, they're going to have 9 guys pitch one inning apiece. It's unwatchable exhibition type stuff.
And the home run derby. The three "true outcomes". (What is so "true" about strikeout, walk, or home run? Everything else, a single, a double, a triple, a hit-by-pitch is just as "true" in my opinion. The only thing that should be "untrue" is maybe an error, catcher's interference, and now, base on balls via pitch clock violation.) How can a base on balls via a pitch clock violation be a "true" outcome, but a single or double is not? A base on balls via pitch clock violation is a type of error, in my opinion.
Almost forgot: the ghost runner. That's terrible. Not real baseball. And the 7 inning max for a true scheduled doubleheader. Again, not real baseball. Exhibition bullshit. Skills competition.
What makes it 'true' is that these 3 things are the only things the Yankees can truly do.
Post a Comment