Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Friday, April 27, 2012

Moose Skowron is gone

On the day we traded Moose Skowron to the Los Angeles Dodgers for Stan Williams, my grandmother threw a shitfit. She recognized a bad deal when it rolled across her Philco radio. "What are they thinking?" she wondered. "You don't replace a guy like Moose."

And we didn't.

He was "the third M:" Mantle, Maris and Moose. He was the first player I ever knew for whom the announcers would always have to say, "The fans aren't booing..."

In my time on this earth, I consider myself blessed to have experienced rock and roll, Guiness beer, free access to contraceptives, the love of a good woman and the 1961 Yankees.

Today, somewhere, an angel is saying, "The saints aren't booing..."

1 comment:

Joe De Pastry said...

One of my favorite players. Thanks for posting this.