Wednesday, September 26, 2018

If last night's outing was supposed to reassure us about Severino, I'll pass

Last night, when the Yankees rubbed up a 7-0 lead in the third, I figured to switch to Netflix and watch Ozark: Jason Bateman & Laura Linney vs Mexican drug cartel, mountain rednecks and wacko FBI agent. Screw the game. We had a big lead with our "ace" on the mound. I planned a quick 1-2-3, then on to Jason! 

Yeah, right.

Today, the box score says Luis Severino went five innings, gave up two runs - a quality start, I suppose. Still, I shudder to imagine him pitching the one-game season, because of what happened in the third, when I should have been elsewhere. In case you missed it...

Joey Wendle leads off with a liner over Aaron Judge, whacking the base of the wall. Man on second.

On an 1-0 count, Severino hits Tommy Phan on the arm. First and second.

Ji-Man Choi walks on five pitches, most of them high. Bases loaded. Larry "House of" Rothschild, wearing his ridiculous 2XL gray sweatshirt, saunters out to talk.

Brandon Lowe lashes a double to right, scoring two. Choi, inexplicably, tries to score and is thrown out. Huge break for Sevy. One out, runner on second. 

Chron hits a ball so hard that it nearly decapitates Hechavarria, at SS. He snares it, backpedaling. If it's two feet higher, it's a gapper. Two outs. David Cone notes that the Rays are bats have been "extremely loud."

Finally, Kiermaier smashes a ball directly at Luke Voit, who steps on first. A few feet to the left, and it's a single. Inning over, only two runs. But this is a hopeful sign? 

If a few balls were placed differently, and if the Rays ran the bases smartly, they're still batting with no outs. It becomes a 7-5 game, (or worse) and Sevy won't have lasted three. (Did I mention that he'd already pitched out of a bases loaded jam in the second?) That's hope?

Listen: After the game, the YESsirs happy-talked how Severino settled down, retired the last eight batters, and maybe sealed his selection to start the Wild Card. Jeez-Louise. I get it that they want to express blustery confidence in the guy. But if last night was supposed to sew hope, all I saw was a big lead, a demoralized Rays and some incredibly dumb luck. 

If he starts the Wild Card, we better keep people warm in the pen. The one game season does not forgive. Next month, I don't want to be watching Ozark. 

9 comments:

KD said...

Ozark is a very good show but the seasons seem to be very short.

Don't be fooled buy the Yes-men's happy talk. NEVER forget last year's wild card game. Never.

TheWinWarblist said...

So endeth the uneasy JuJu.

Carl J. Weitz said...

The Yankees "have said" that Tanaka will be starting the WC game, not Sevy. Thank God!

HoraceClarke66 said...

Love the "YESsirs" Duque!

13bit said...

Whose scrotum were we discussing the other day? I just saw a great deal on fur-lined scrotum protectors. NOT cups, but little things that tie all around it. You have to seal it up with rivets, so it's a semi-permanent solution, but it could be useful for the whole team in another month. They may need some protection.

Local Bargain Jerk said...


Whose scrotum were we discussing the other day? I just saw a great deal on fur-lined scrotum protectors. NOT cups, but little things that tie all around it.

13bit:

Did you lift that passage from a website with quotes taken from elderly ladies' tea and bridge groups? It sounds mighty familiar.

Please LMK at your earliest.

13bit said...

Unless I'm channeling some disembodied spirits, it came from my very own scrotum, eh...brain...

TheWinWarblist said...

I might have said that Gary ICS Sanchex should stuff his own scrotum up his own ass a few days ago. That certainly sounds like something I would say. Was that what you were thinking of?

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.