Monday, September 3, 2018

September 1, 2018

(With apologies to W.H. Auden)

I sit in one of the dives
On River Avenue
Uncertain and depressed
As the clever hopes expire
On a low, dishonest decade.

Waves of anger and frustration
Circulate over the dreary
And darkened field of the Stadium,
Obsessing our drinking lives,
The unmentionable odor of collapse
Offends the September night.

Accurate statistics can
Depict the bleak offense
From Stick until now
That has driven a fanbase mad,
Find what occurred in Tampa,
What huge old George did make,
That psychopathic god.

I and the public know:
What all Yankees fans do learn
Those Steinbrenners who were neglected
Neglect their franchise in return.

To a money-hungry owner;
Looking over the books,
There is no problem to be seen.
The enlightenment driven away,
The habit-forming pain,
Mismanagement and grief:
We must suffer them all again.

Each player makes his vain competitive excuse:
But who can live for long
In a euphoric dream;
Out of the sports pages they stare
Boston's many wins
And the season all gone wrong.

Faces along the bar
Stare into their overpriced beer:
The season must never end
The Yankees must always win.
Lest we should see where we are,
Boone lost in a haunted wood
Cashman afraid of the young,
And pitchers who have never been happy or good.

For the error bred in the bone
Of our leader in the elf suit
Is he craves what he cannot have,
To both rebuild and compete
On his little elfin feet.

From the clubhouse
Onto the playing field
Our dim mediocrities come,
Repeating their daily vow;
"I will hustle on every play, I'll swing on every pitch."
And helpless fans awake
To watch their desultory game:
Who would release Neil Walker now?
Who can reach our deaf GM?
Who can speak for the dumb?

All we have is our voice
To undo the folded lie
That this team can still win,
From the numb-ed mind in the owner's booth,
And the lie of Authority
Whose farm teams shrivel and lose.
There is no new dynasty a-borning
And no help coming from the boys
We pay millions to leave the D.R.

Cashman allows us no choice,
No matter how our hitting fades
We must have more pitching or die.
















18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow.

Doug K.

Publius said...

Let Us Look To Scranton-Wilkes Barre

Looking up at the suites I know quite well
That, for all Hal cares, I can go to hell
But in the outfield which once promised so much
Roamed too long Shane and now there's Cutch

How should we like it if Judge does not return
Or if the starters go 4 and Gary does not learn?
If the Bronx brings naught but misery
Let us look to Scranton-Wilkes Barre

Admirer of success as I am
Even if Cash doesn't give a damn
I am glad to note after yesterday's play
That the Riders will see another day

Were New York's stars to disappear or decay
I should learn to look at AAA
And feel its obscurity sublime
Harkening back to a better time

HoraceClarke66 said...

Love it, Publius! And yours even rhymes!

13bit said...

Magisterial, Hoss. Weeping over here in Olde Greenwich Village.

Anonymous said...

Our team is bad.

Anonymous said...

Reverse Gestalt

Anonymous said...

All I can say

Anonymous said...

Is Oy Gevalt.

Anonymous said...

Burma Shave

Anonymous said...

Doug K.

Alphonso said...

Poetry could be the answer.

thecontrarian said...

Pinstripes pale in the
fading, late summer sunlight:
Autumn's chill lurks by.

HoraceClarke66 said...

I love it, a Burma Shave reference! And is that a haiku, apoorplayer?

If so, very appropriate, with its elegiac feel.

Anonymous said...

with apologies to Anthony Newley/Leslie Bricusse
Bird at the plate
You know how I feel
We know what’s at stake
You know how I feel
The wild card’s drifting by
You know how I feel
It's another loss
On another day
It’s a sad life
For me
And I'm feeling bad

thecontrarian said...

A haiku, yes indeed.

Anonymous said...

very clever anonymous

Alibi Ike said...

You guys make my job easier. Pilfering a few of these for Bardball, if you have no objections.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.