Friday, August 25, 2023

Field Trip!

Yesterday exceeded all expectations...

It was truly great to meet the people behind the screen names. It was a love fest. Who knew that writing on a blog could lead to a gaggle of new friends? Makes me wish I had pen pals or was on Facebook, or sent away for a mail order bride. 

It was that good.

The game exceeded all expectations too, checking off several boxes on my bingo card.

1) Judge homered. 

2) The Yankees lost. 

3) They ran into outs on the base paths.

4) They almost won but fell short in the ninth.

5) There was a golden sombrero. 

6) Stanton went 4/5 and no one noticed. Because we don't care when he's up.

7) The bullpen imploded.

---

Other notes...


1) I walked around the entire stadium and realized just how few people were there for the game.  To be fair, we weren't either. Yankee Stadium is more gathering place than ball park.  


2) It rained on us (slightly) despite being in a covered part of the stadium. For those of you who remember why the Yankees had to play at Shea this might be a bad sign.


3) There is a seven foot tall replica of a Randy Velarde baseball card at the entrance to the Yankee Museum. I do not know why.

4) This made me happy! Also sad, it was a different time in a different stadium. 






5) And last... Here is a bonus, exclusive, "behind the scenes" look at the iconic photo posted by El Duque.


 





17 comments:

HoraceClarke66 said...

Very true, Doug. "Baseball" is just another side product of the Yankees entertainment machine.

Celerino Sanchez said...

Velarde, whoa, whoa, whoa

TheWinWarblist said...

TheWinWarblist said...

AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug K. said...

Winnie,

Well put my friend.Well put.

Alphonso said...

My kind of people. Sorry I moved to LA and was in Vancouver on the day of the game. Love you all.

BTR999 said...

I was tempted to go, just to meet you guys, but I have sworn a blood oath to never set foot in that shithole again.

BTR999 said...

Meanwhile, back at the farm:

Big Dick Energy!
Richard Fitts 6 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 4 K — on a great run, hasn’t allowed more than three runs since May 10
Couldn’t get to Scranton if he hag a prepaid Uber

Doug K. said...

Just read an article on Yanks Go Yard about the eight most hated Yankees (by Yankee fans) didn't really agree with the ones he picked. Not to mention hate is a strong word. But it did get me thinking about who they might be anyway.

Any suggestions?



Doug K. said...

bornto - next year (if there is a next year) just do the meetup at the bar and skip the game.

JM said...

Doug, I can't say there's been any player I really hate. Billy Martin was an asshole, for instance, but I didn't hate him. Even Jackie, who I just want to see gone--can't hate him. Just really, really, really dislike him.

Maybe some hate for Hal and Cashman and their bullshit press statements and fairly incompetent reign.

And why the fuck Randy Velarde? I'd rather have Clay Bellinger there. How about Chuck Knoblauch pre-yips?

ranger_lp said...

Hey Doug...Kahnle is now an honorable mention...

JM said...

Ah yes, I remember it well.


Baseball by BSmile
@BSmile
·
2m
Today In 1968: New York #Yankees OF Rocky Colavito pitches 2 2/3 innings in relief for the win vs. the Detroit #Tigers at Yankee Stadium!

HoraceClarke66 said...

I do, too, JM! They swept a doubleheader that day, against the eventual world champions!

HoraceClarke66 said...

We got rid of Velarde too early; he had some good years with other teams (not that it much mattered to us then).

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Clay Bellinger, for that great catch he made in the World Series against the Mets.

BernBabyBern said...

The strange thing about the giant Randy Velarde card isn’t just that it’s Velarde … but that card? I mean, of all the Yankees baseball cards over the years, someone looked at that card — with Velarde looking like he’s being booked for election interference in Georgia — and said, “guys, forget the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle! THIS is the card we need to showcase!”

Doug K. said...

Bern -

Yes. A strange choice all around.

The Hammer of God said...

It is telling that it is Randy Velarde. Now, don't get me wrong, I liked Randy Velarde, but he was an average or maybe slightly above average utility player. The card is undoubtedly a celebration of mediocrity. It's the direction that HAL would like to take the Yankees in the future. Everyone plays everywhere and basically ... sucks! It's no haphazard luck of the draw that it's there.