Sunday, July 28, 2024

Getting to the Bottom of This Awful Season


I'm sure no one has noticed but I've been away from IIHIIFIIc for awhile.  

God, it all started out so well.

Around the beginning of the season, life became much more frenzied than usual.  So much so, that I skipped my morning routine of starting the day with a cup of coffee and the merriment that is IIH.

After taking a week off, I returned and learned that I had just missed the annual "predict the Yankee final record" challenge.  Because the season had already started, I knew it was too late to get my guess in.  There's no past-posting in an honorable place like IIH.  Once the race has started, no more bets are taken

Right out of the gate, the team went 5-0!

I subscribe to the Wade Boggs school of superstition.  I eat chicken on game days.  5-0 was a reasonable enough sample size for me to conclude that my absence from IIH was causing the team to have success.  As much as it pained me, I stayed away from the foaming-at-the-mouth discourse in the comments section because I thought my absence was driving our success.  It was unpleasant but I took one for the team.

It continued to work.  By April 15, we were 12-5.  Then, we learned that John Sterling had announced his immediate retirement.  My fear was that Sterling's internal sensors -- which I assume are as sensitive as those in a seismograph -- had detected the approach of some major tremors on the team.  I looked to see if the dogs were spooked or the horses were whinnying in their stalls but I, a mere mortal, couldn't see or feel anything.

Sterling's abrupt retirement turned out to be a false alarm.  The Yanks kept winning so I kept staying away.  By June 14th, the team was 50-22.  Man, you can't argue with success!

It turns out, June 14th was the day THE GREAT SWOON OF 2024 began.  Since that date, the Yanks have gone 11-23.  My Samsung Galaxy Calculator tells me that makes for a .325 team.  As the losses mounted, I began reading the comments on IIH again.  I couldn't help but notice the classic symptoms of a sort of communal psychotic break.  The comments evidenced a group of people hearing, seeing, smelling, and tasting things that just aren't there, searching in vain for THE REASON.  Maybe that's just normal for many of us around here, but it did seem a bit more strident than usual.

Anyway, I'd like to step back in and offer my three reasons for the team's plunge into the Stygian abyss:

  1. Gerrit Cole Came Back -- Gerrit Cole re-joined the team on June 19th,  On that day, we were still 51 and 25.  Did everyone in the clubhouse get overly optimistic and remove their foot from the gas pedal?  Did Cole say some unknown something that annoyed his teammates, à la Rob Refsnyder?  I dunno but, man, it's awful hard not to connect the dots on that one.




  2. During the Win Streak, Alphonso Did Not Post Pictures of Pretty Basque Girls -- In years past, Alphonso would regale us with photos of pretty girls from the Basque country and would promise to do so until the photos stopped having an effect on the Yankees' record.  That didn't happen this year during our win streak and the team went into a nosedive. 

    More than coincidence?

  3. The Real Reason: I Bought MLB.TV -- Out here in the hinterlands, if your local cable outlet doesn't carry YES, you need to buy viewing rights from MLB.TV to watch the games.  MLB starts out the season at $159.99 for all games.  That's a bit steep for the likes of me to pay to watch meaningless games in April.   This year, however, I was climbing the walls because I couldn't see the team kick the ass of everyone they went up against.

    Every year, right around June 1, MLB drops the price to $99.99 for the remainder of the season.  This piques my interest, but I've learned to wait because, right around Father's Day, they drop the price further and that's usually when I'm in.

    This year, the price dropped to $54.99 for just the Yankees or $59.99 for all games, all teams for the remainder of the season.  The Yanks' record had me feeling on top of the world so I splurged for the $59.99 package.

    I did this on June 14th.  Here's a screen shot of my Amex statement:
     

 

On that day, a Friday, I poured myself a big glass of cold Sangria from a recipe I learned in the Basque country and enjoyed watching the Yanks whup the tar out of the hated Red Sox 8-1. 

And that was all she wrote.  The victory on June 14th was followed by two losses.  Then a win.  Then three more losses.  Then another win.  Then four more losses.  The bleeding hasn't stopped since then.  I snapped off MLB.TV in disgust.  I've barely watched it since.

It's easy to blame Hal, Cashman, Boone, et al, but there's no need to do so.  The real reason is shown in the screenshot above.  I parted with money on June 14th to watch the Yankees win.  The JuJu gods noticed and stepped in.

So, I'm sorry everyone.  It's on me.  I did it.  I'm not sure how I'll make it up to you.

9 comments:

HoraceClarke66 said...

Welcome back to the fight, LBJ. Now, I'm sure our side will win.

The Hammer of God said...

LBJ, I was wondering where the hell you were. It's an interesting theory, the coincidence is amazing, yes. I am reminded of that dumbass movie, with that guy who could cause disasters by just looking at stuff.

But come on, man! If you could have any impact on these bums by doing this or that at home, you should be gettin' paid millions, if not billions, of dollars. The Master said so himself, on many occasions, during no-hitters and perfect games. And despite him talking about no-hitters and perfect games, they still happened. The Dwight Gooden no-hitter. The David Cone perfecto. The David Wells perfecto. (Not sure who called the Domingo German perfecto, or if the broadcasters were talking about it whilst he was pitching.)

So, welcome back! And, if you're still feelin' guilty, well, you are forgiven. You are all forgiven! LOL LOL LOL LOL

The Hammer of God said...

And despite your excellent reasoning and great article, you forget that most of us predicted they'd fall on their faces again this year. It always happens right around mid June to mid July. The great collapse, the fall of Rome, the fall of the House of Usher, the sinking of the Yankee Titanic. It was a bad roster, bound to collapse.

The Hammer of God said...

On the other hand, once Mr. Prima Donna came back, it might be that the other pitchers try to emulate what he does. Which is to throw your best spin rates and nastiest stuff and do it like an automaton. Pitching like an idiot. He gets by on it because he's got great stuff. Most others won't get the same kind of results. They've had the worst E.R.A. in baseball since he came back. Gotta be some correlation.

Carl J. Weitz said...

LBJ... every time I hear someone subscribing to a sports package, I advise them to subscribe to an IPTV (Internet Protocol TV) for under $ 200 per year or buy a device that does the same thing for a one-time charge, about $ 350 with no subscription fees ever again. These allow you to stream on your TV. You get access to every team in MLB, NHL, NBA, NFL Sunday Ticket, tennis, golf, soccer, etc. Plus all movie premium channels, local channels throughout America, 15,000 movies 15,000 On-Demand programs, PPV events, international channels from Canada, the UK, Germany, France, and about 50 more countries plus "adult channels", cough, cough.

Anyway, your situation is similar to mine in a sports-related way. In 2000, my son introduced me to "prop betting", specifically in the NFL. In my first game, I bet on Saquon Barkley to rush for over 82 yards in the third game of the season. After a few plays against the Steelers, he tears his ACL-out for the season. Two years later, I bet on Barkley to run
over 74 yards against the Cowboys. Wham, he rolls over on his ankle-out for the year again!
I came up with a quick moneymaking scheme. So, I contacted Tisch, the owner of the Giants, and told him that unless they paid me $ 100, 000, I'd bet on Barkley again. He probably didn't believe me because he never contacted me.
I plan to contact the Eagles this year and make the same pitch. Nah, fuck Barkley. I'm going to dothis one for free and bet on him again.


Rufus T. Firefly said...

Carl speaks truth.

LBJ,

It is not your fault. Let me count the ways:

HAL
Ca$hole
Boone
Inept conditioning staff
Inept medical staff
Sycophant media

There are more, but that is enough.

TheWinWarblist said...

You could give all of us your MLB.TV login and password?

JM said...

LBH, it's good to have you back. For whatever reason or non-reason.

Alphonso said...

I missed the Basque girls posting because I became depressed at the Yankee collapse. Thanks for reminding me. And welcome back.