Saturday, August 22, 2026

Yanks are hottest in AL East, and other brain bursts from the Saturday Leaderboards

Tampa is burning up. Gruesome, unbearable heat. Clocks melting, and not in a Salvidor Dali way. Nobody goes to ball games. (Wednesday, hosting the Blue Jays, a mere 13,000 showed up.) 

Meanwhile, the Rays are sniffing the exits. (Friday, the city signed a hostage deal to keep them in Tampa, for now. It requires the sacrifice of every family's first-born.) Worst of all - for Tampoans, anyway - the Yankees keep creeping closer, now one measly weekend series behind. 

Meanwhile, every Yank win pushes Toronto into a death spiral. Vlad Jr. - "I'd never be a Yankee/Wait, I'll join the Yankees/Check that: I'll never be a Yankee" - Guerrero will soon return. Who cares? He's hitting .263 with 7 HRs. Worst year of his career. And he'll never be a Yankee.

By this time next week, we're playing two against Boston. Biggest day of 2026. 


Meanwhile, in a shameful indictment of modern homer ball, only three qualifying American League players are batting over .300. Pathetic. 


Meanwhile, at least 10 hitters should belt more than 30 HRs
. 


By the way, Cody Bellinger has 10. But I doubt he'll be running much, after he returns. (Spencer Jones - 7 SBs, not yet thrown out) has a better chance, unless he's in Scranton. 

Volpe homered again in Triple A. And Luis Durango - the Slapper, down at Somerset - went 2 for 3. I gotta go. Running off with my human printer.

2 comments:

Der Kaiser said...

.263 with seven HR? Plays first base? Ugly beard? Earning 40 million dollars this year? How is this guy not a Yankee already?

[Checking BR]

Oh, I see now. He walks at a fair clip and in his worst season is striking out only 13,4% of the time. His strikeout rate has in fact dropped throughout his career. And it looks like he plays a pretty good first base, too.

So he's still got a lot of work to do to before he becomes a Yankee. Or else the coaching staff will have its work cut out for it.

JM said...

It's worth noting that Alvarez is leading the league in both BA and HRs. Houston is a pitiful .500 team but could very well win its division, and Alvarez might end up as MVP this year. That's okay, I'll settle for Schlittler with the Cy Young.

By the way, I take it we didn't get Helium for his defensive skills. Too bad he can't hit much. So why did we need him?

Spencer almost made a great catch yesterday. Just off by a couple inches and it hit the heel of his glove. He covers a lot of ground, don't he?