Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Friday, September 13, 2013

Yea, though we walk through the valley of the shadow of death, we will fear no evil: for Mo art with me; thy A-rod and thy staff, they comfort me

Perhaps it ends here... Boston. The Valley of the Shadow of Death.

Psalm No. 23.

Don Mattingly's psalm.

Remember opening day? April Fools Day, Yankee Stadium. Brooding crowd. Nuni at short, whiffed three times. Our DH was Ben Francisco.  CC surrendered four in the second. Joba hammered in the ninth. They beat us 8-2. It wasn't "Youk" they were yelling...

I think it was Tino Martinez who once said - paraphrasing - "In New York, somebody writes your obit every week." Damn straight.  I've always believed - in my traumatic Yankeecentric stress disorder - that one week with the Evil Empire equals a lifetime in Kansas City.  I think that's why some players, like Alphonso Soriano this month, burn red hot upon returning - while others freeze. Maybe this happens everywhere. As a fan, I choose to believe the nothing must compare to playing for the New York Yankees.

Make no mistake, this has been the season of hellish lifetimes. Whenever we saw a beam of hope, new shadows overwhelmed us. We never saw Jeter. We never saw Tex. We never saw Pineda, or any of our so-called prospects. We steeled ourselves - I'm still clenched - to lose Grandyman for the third time. When David Phelps started to emerge - poof, he was gone. A ghost named Vidal Nino blew in on the wind, then disappeared. If you ask me how this team managed to contend for a playoff spot - even the fake, Seligian one-game shot - I shake my head. Damned if I know. But here we are.

We need two out of three against the best and hottest team in the American League, if not all of baseball. At Fenway. If that isn't the Valley of Death, baseball-wise, what is?

Well, I've written the Yankees' 2013 obit on this blog so many times I should have a user key programmed for it. But here we are.

Brendon Ryan, I hope you know what it's like to live an entire lifetime in one week. And I hope dark shadows do not frighten you.  Here we go...

11 comments:

Parson Tom said...

Two of three? No problem. Mo has only pitched in 43 consecutive games, to match his age. D-Rob is reattaching his arm every morning. Nova says his elbow is just fine, thank you, and the rest of the starters are lucky to go 5 and two-thirds.
Waiting for us at Fenway, a cocky group of mashers who are convinced that they are morally superior because nobody writes about what they did to cheat.
We got 'em right where we want them.
Two of three? No problem.

KD, bleary-eyed, said...

I'm running a sleep deficit because of these games. Damn good thing they aren't playing out west. Rain delays are bad enough.

we'll need our most powerful Juju to take 2/3 from those bearded, juiced monsters.

Maybe this trip Joba gets the call and plants one in Papi's ribs. Payback is owed and I believe in the honorable repayment of debt.

JM said...

I have been doing my best by completely giving up. Last weekend, I watched the first three Sox games on TV, in all or part. Disaster. This week, I watched parts of the first O's game. Disaster. When I ignore them (checking the score on ESPN's Scoreboard phone app is allowed), they win.

As much as I'd like to see tonight's game, I just can't. Juju is a cruel mistress.

Tex Message said...

"Here I stand, I can do no other."

As much as I am anticipating that this team will destroy me emotionally come late September, I just can't look away.

Parson Tom said...

John, I've done exactly the same: Gave up after game 3 against the Sux. Came back for game 1 against the Birds and then went away. Checking scores on phone still allowed but otherwise letting the juju stew by not taking the lid off the pot.

KD said...

How about Stewie walking away after strike 2 and NOBODY on the Yankee bench sending him back out? I've watched a lot of baseball but I've never seen anything like that.

Squid Lips said...

For the first and last time in a millenium, last night I rooted for the Sox. Tampon Bay had to go down in flames. So, as Yankee fans we ask only once that the Sox defeat their opponent. They owe us that much for the Dempster incident. Of course, they lose. The Red Sox are the worst collection of subhumans on the planet. And, as KD pointed out, Stewart (though he thought that first pitch was a strike) ought to be traded to Boston just for that screwup. Please don't tell me that in this crucial game the guys weren't on the bench watching closely, but in the clubhouse eating chicken, drinking beer and texting Josh Beckett.

Martin Luther, of Wittenburg, Germany, said...

Thank you, Tex Message, for invoking my pledge. Just thought I'd mention that I hit lefthanders well, though the slider is a challenge. I've rehabbed the knee and am in the best physical conditioning since 1509. So, if you need that righthanded bat in the lineup, Joe, give me a call. It would be an honor to put these satanic Red Sox in their place: Hades.

Suzyn's Bitch said...

What a goddamned great ride. Lovin'it!

Moneyplays said...

John M.
I'm doing the same thing. Though I'm not checking MLB at bat or ESPN or Score. Like you said it will be tough, but I'm giving up for the team. Oh the humanity.

el duque said...

THIS IS WHY WE HAVE 27 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS. YANKEE FANS ARE THE SMARTEST IN THE WORLD.