Thursday, February 21, 2008

ESPN projects Abreu HR chase will go on into '09

The fantasy talking heads at ESPN project that Bobby Abreu's assault on Steve Balboni's mark of 41 homers as a Yankee will spill over into the 2009 season, assuming that the right fielder is retained by the club beyond this year.

ESPN projects Abreu to rake 14 dingers in 2008, a number that would leave him 4 short of the 18 needed to tie Balboni's record.

With 19 jacks in 2008, Abreu not only would surpass Balboni, he also would join Dan Pasqua in a tie for 80th place on the all-time Yankee home run list.

Pasqua, who was once picked by Sports Illustrated to lead the American League in home runs, could not be reached for comment.

We caught up with Balboni between bites of Kansas City barbecue.

"Will I be sad to see Abreu break my mark?", he asked.

"Maybe I will. But I will go to my grave knowing that I hit 3 more bombs in Pinstripes than David Justice, and 10 more than Rick Cerone, and that's got to count for something. Hey, you gonna eat those fries?"




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Great investigative reporting there, IBW. I am sooo proud of you!

I knew you'd come through, despite what everyone else said. I never believed a word of it.

After all, who'd believe a goat or any livestock for that matter?

Keep it, er, up!

I'm Bill White said...

(Blushing)

Anonymous said...

This season, if Abreu doesn't produce, I say we start calling him "Abreu Ghraib."

Anonymous said...

I played with Steve Balboni. I knew Steve Balboni. Steve Balboni was a friend of mine. Bobby Abreu, you're no Steve Balboni.