Monday, December 26, 2016

We were visited by the ghosts of Christmas past and present...

Before dawn, I woke up Xmas morn and scurried downstairs in my Dr. Dentons to find that the merry yuletide elf himself, Kris Kashman, had come to my house. Waiting under the tree was Nick Rumbelow - (with Goody, a former member of "the two Nicks" of Scranton) - signed to a minor league deal. He's 25 and still recovering from Tommy John surgery. Not the worst of gifts, even if we had been asking for a size XL Encarnacion. Oh well...

Then came a darker visitation. News broke that one of the greatest Yankees of all time, Mel Stottlemyre, is clinging to life, battling cancer. In an era when the Yankees offered their fans next to nothing - (sound familiar?) - Mel gave us reason to hope. Listen: I hate it when bloggers and media types stoke fake emotion by sending out "heartfelt prayers." What bullshit. All I can say is that no matter how bad a team we had, when Mel Stottlemyre was on the mound, we were always the Yankees. Nobody lives forever. But as long as I'm here, Mel won't be forgotten.

So... no ghost of Christmas future came our way. If I had my choice, I would have picked the most important Yankee of all, Aaron Judge. As far as I can see, the fate of 2017 and beyond still hinges upon his ability to hit. If he's a Gioncarlo Stanton, our batting order could explode with runs. If he's a strikeout machine, we're in deep doo-doo. The worst scenario, of course, is that Judge's verdict falls somewhere in between, and we trade him before he evolves into a star. What a terrifying thought.

He's our Santa: If he's for real, anything is possible. Stay thirsty, my friends.

11 comments:

JM said...

Todd is doing updates on Twitter. Yesterday he said his dad was doing amazingly better, after being at death's door just the day before.

If a guy can win 20 games three different times on the 64-74 Yankees, you can't count him out. Ever.

Parson Tom said...

Mel was a good hitter, too. Once went 5 for 5 against Washington, including an inside the park homer. A great competitor but always a gentleman.

Anonymous said...

EL DUQUE YOU ARE SO SPOT ON ABOUT AARON JUDGE...... HE LOOMS "LARGE" FOR US..... HE CAN MAKE A "HUGE" DIFFERENCE FOR US IF HE CAN CONTROL HIS STRIKE ZONE, LAY OFF THE GARBAGE THEY FEED HIM, AND PLEASE, PLEASE GO THE OTHER WAY ON OUTSIDE PITCHES, WHICH HE WILL SEE ALL YEAR..... TAKE HIS WALKS TOO............POTENTIAL PROBLEM?....AARON HICKS TAKING AT BATS FROM JUDGE......IT MADDENS ME.

Local Bargain Jerk said...


ANONYMOUS: You sent me an email awhile ago, but my response to you bounced back. Please contact me offline and I'll send the info you were looking for.

...SORRY TO EVERYONE ELSE FOR STEALING BANDWIDTH...

-LBJ

Alphonso said...

I can provide an offline address for anyone who wants to send me cash, crown royal, or some latin american delicacy.

Meanwhile, I applaud the greatness of Mel Stottlemyre.

Great Yankees are great Yankees.

Anonymous said...

LBJ....I HAVE NO WAY TO CONTACT YOU....THE PAPI SITE IS DOWN, AND THERE'S NO EMAIL ADDRESS FOR YOU......STILL LOVE TO KNOW THAT BAR YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT....(NEVER MET A BAR I DIDN'T LIKE).....

Local Bargain Jerk said...


ANONYMOUS: If you trust El Duque -- and you should -- perhaps send him your email address. His email is public and is on the home page of the IIH website. He'll send it to me and I'll email you offline.

Alphonso said...

Trust El Duque? Surely, you jest.

Anonymous said...

OF COURSE I TRUST EL DUQUE.........(AND HE ALREADY HAS MY EMAIL)....

el duque said...

Caps, um.... I lost that email when the Russians hacked my server. Can you shoot me at hseely@twcny.rr.com, and I'll hook you two up.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.