Sunday, December 2, 2018

The Mariners look like 2019's top tanker

After years of stupidly trying to win, the Seattle Mariners finally have wised up. They're trading everyone and setting up 2019 as one deep, glorious, beginning to end tank-a-thon. They could lose 120. They could be eliminated by July 1. Damn! When it comes to being beaten, they're going to be hard to beat!  

But let's not concede last place just yet. The awful Orioles are already Triple A-worth and planning for 2022, assuming Baltimore hasn't by then been swallowed up by the sea. I wouldn't count out the White Sox, either, whom I believe have come to enjoy tanking. The Tigers, Royals, Rangers, Blue Jays and Twins could all be out of it by June and traded for garage sale kibble by the deadline, and if the Angels have a bad spring, they could be scrapped down to the Japanese Babe Ruth. And then there are the tank-masters themselves, the Tampa Rays, who are always lurking, ready to pounce on last place. If the first few months go south, they could be auctioning off the reigning AL Cy Young award winner. Would they be in the catbird seat, or what? 

These days, no team can simply tank overnight and be assured of the top pick and cheap payroll. But the Mariners are looking techno-smart; they're trading everybody who threatens to win meaningless games and ruin the plan.  

As far as I can tell - and it's too early, for sure - here's how 2019 shapes up.

AL East: Boston v Yankees.
AL Central: Cleveland v boredom.
AL West: Houston v A's, unless the A's decide to tank. 

Wild Cards: Yankees v A's, Rays and/or Angels. 
Last place: Everybody else.

Coupled with the continuing home run derby mentality, the refusal by batters to adjust to defensive over-shifts, and five-hour games that feature 20 strikeouts and 10 walks, the National Pastime looks healthier than ever! And the crackerjack group of owners - always looking to bank more money - is certainly on top of whatever problems do arise. 

9 comments:

ranger_lp said...

Nothing like tanking...AMA about the Knicks tanking...

http://www.tankathon.com/mlb



JM said...

Tanks for the memories.



OK, I know. But I couldn't resist.

HoraceClarke66 said...

I think you mean, "trying to win stupidly."

I dunno, I think Tampa could well bounce back next year and relegate us to third in the division.

TheWinWarblist said...

I heard the news today. Oh boy ...

13bit said...

Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the House of Hal...

HoraceClarke66 said...

What news?

Local Bargain Jerk said...


Seems like this blog has more readers than you'd imagine: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mariners-following-modern-mlb-championship-blueprint-win-losing-223654540.html

Ceeja said...

When the Yankees wrote off the season at the allstar break two years ago they got gleybar and Frazier. I think they got andujar as well.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.