Friday, October 16, 2020

For the upcoming Yankee nuclear winter, Tex makes a lot of sense

It's been so long since I pondered Mark Teixeira that I needed to spellcheck his name. (Wither goest Doug Mientkiewicz!)  So, yesterday, Tex goes onto some 25/8 ESPN Radio blab-a-thon and pitches the Yankees on an off-season strategy. For whatever it's worth, I think he nailed it.

For starters, Tex suggests doing what the Yankees have been generally loathe to attempt: Trading a beloved player - who also happens to be rather cheap. Yup... Luke Voit. Says Tex:

“As good as Luke Voit is, and as popular as he is, his value has never been higher.”

The question is whether Cooperstown Cashman can wrangle fair trade value from the 2020 HR king. If the trade doesn't appease the tabs, Cash won't look like the Yankee Svengali he seeks to be. But Tex doesn't mention return on the deal. By trading Voit, the Yanks could re-sign DJ LeMahieu and move him to 1B. 

This would give the Yankees a Bill Buckner-style hitter and a Golden Glove first-baseman. That would, in turn, save the Yankee infield a ton of throwing errors. It might even allow the Yankees to keep Gleyber Torres at SS. But Tex says, no. 

"Go back out and re-sign Didi GregoriusBecause we know Didi can play in New York. He’s a good defensive shortstop and he’s left-handed. "

The infield would be defensively improved, and one popular Yankee would be replaced by two (Didi and DJ).  So, the question is money.

“If Brian Cashman has a very small budget, then maybe DJ LeMahieu is out of their budget. But if the Steinbrenner family says, 'Hey, I know we lost a ton of money this year everybody in baseball lost money this year, but I’m still going to let you go out and sign a few guys, Cash, and we need to bring back the value — then of course it’s a no-brainer.”

One caveat: I believe the Yankees must overhaul their philosophy. They must rebuild around pitching, defense and timely hitting - the things that win postseason games. The strategy outlined by Tex does not fix our pitching woes. I doubt Voit brings a frontline pitcher in a trade. So it comes down to Steinbrenner's wallet. If Hal decides to re-sign LeMahieu, he might not have enough left for Didi and a pitcher. In that case, well, we need a pitcher.

10 comments:

Dantes said...

Voit on his own probably not. Voit, Andujar and a couple of prospects might get you the frontline pitcher you’re looking for. The question is from who

13bit said...

Trade Cash, make Tex GM.

I felt as though I was listening to the old vaudeville team of "Stick and Bob" while reading Tex's comments.

Please bring baseball wisdom back to the Yankees. And Hal, if you won't fire Cash, sell the team and do us a favor.

Just cause Daddy cared more about the Yankees than he did about you doesn't mean you have to punish us all.

If you hate yourself that much, go catch some social diseases from some hooker and focus on your dripping penis.

Sell the team, Hal, or fire Cash. End of story.

Eat shit and die.

TheWinWarblist said...

Ooh, oh, Bitty, you complete me!

13bit said...

Just keeping it real, Winnie! Stay safe!

HoraceClarke66 said...

I dunno...even beyond Cashman's demonstrated inability to make big deals, this strikes me as dubious.

As Robert Duvall sort of said in The Godfather, starting pitchers are the best thing to have, even in the era of the Tampa Bay Rays. Therefore, it's very, very doubtful that anybody is going to give us a truly first-rate pitcher, even in exchange for the year's home-run champ and a guy who nearly matched DiMaggio in his first season.

What we'd be much more likely to get is somebody considered to have much potential, such as Pineda—and if fairness, I thought that was a good, gutsy play by Cashman—or somebody a little marginal, such as a Paxton (not a good move).

This is the same, pretty much, for everybody. It's why first-rate starters are so often signed as free agents, for what seems like exorbitant amounts. It's the only way you can get top guys who are past their early-career arm miseries.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Signing Didi again is intriguing—though it would be tantamount to the Yankees admitting that they once again could not nurture a "can't-miss" superstar of the future, to the career everyone predicted for him.

It would also likely mean starting Tyler Wade at short a couple years from now.

And sure, the back end of D.J.'s next contract will probably mean putting up major bucks for dropping stats. But so what? He's the best player on the team, a batting champ and Gold Glove who can play almost anywhere on the field, and who is one of the few Yankees who doesn't miss half-a-season with injuries.

Anonymous said...

If they don't re-sign DJ, and it comes down to a few of Hal's denarii, I swear to all that is holy in this universe, I will kill somebody….. I would commit suicide, but I cannot deny the world The Archangel

Kevin said...

Defensive metrics, for what they're worth, haven't been kind to DD. Maybe someone else? Simmons, I believe, is a free agent this year.....

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.

Nitish Kumar said...

LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever