Wednesday, October 21, 2020

In the end, the Yankees simply had no MUTE button

Last night, while it was fun to watch Rays' pretty boy Tyler Glasnow get whacked - (you imagined LA fans nationwide, Jeffrey Toobining in their living rooms) -  Tampa's inability to cap Dodger bats reminded me of just how tortuous this series would have been, had the Yankees made it. At least, we don't have to be humiliated by Mookie Betts. 

But another reason to be relieved is - well - our lack of relief.

Throughout the 2020 post-season, the Death Star never found one lights-out pitcher - a "MUTE" button, if you will - to silence the opposition. 

On our staff, only two marginal mopper-uppers - Michael King and Nick Nelson - threw 0.00 ERAs. (Each pitched two innings.) Our ace, Gerrit Cole, made three starts, 18.1 innings, overall - and surrendered  six earned runs. Cole gave us what he had. But in Game 7, on short rest, he couldn't pitch into the seventh. (Not his fault. If we could have - say - scored four runs, Cole might have gone the distance.  But we didn't... and he didn't... and here we are...) 

Neither our super-sweater closer, Aroldis Chapman, nor our chief set-up man Zack Britton pitched to their pay-grades. Both gave up earned runs - in el Chapo's case, a humdinger. Britton pitched 5.1 innings and gave up two earned runs - as did Mean Chad Green. 

Nobody stepped forward to throw a blanket on smoldering rallies. Nobody  came to raise blood pressures in the Rays dugout. And that, my friends, is the story of 2020: The vaunted Yankee bullpen, hailed in March as the game's best, never materialized. 

Tampa unveiled power arms with 100-mph heat, like the Chapman of old. But the "guns" of the Yankee pen - Ben Heller, Jonathan Loaisiga, Jonathan Holder, Adam Ottavino, Michael Yajure, Albert Abreu, Brooks Kriske - never produced a breakthrough. We spent the year bemoaning the loss of Tommy Kahnle, as if he were a top closer.  (Don't get me wrong: Losing Kahnle hurt, but on the bullpen, he was probably the fourth weapon, and every team in baseball lost somebody.) 

So, what about 2021? Well, add another year to Chapman, Britton, Ottavino and Green, and it's hard to imagine them improving. That means we head into another winter where Cooperstown Cashman will be in his usual element: trading off prospects - (Estevan Florial, Oswald Peraza) and former future Yankee stars - (Gary Sanchez, Miguel Andujar) -for a bullpen lug nut, whose best days might be behind him. 

Yeah, who wanted to be in that stupid world series, anyway? It's not a real season. They won't be real rings. A parade would only spread the virus. We're better off, sitting at home. Those grapes, they look sour.

5 comments:

JM said...

I would again like to point out that, generally speaking, we suck.

By the way, did you notice how the Dodgers crushed Tampa last night? Home runs, yes, but baserunning, stealing, singles, taking pitches, wearing out the starter...it reminded me of the late 90s Yankees. You know, guys who make plays defensively and hit in the clutch (which stats prove is not a thing). I can't remember how many times I used to hear commentators talk about how the Yankees took so many pitches back then and fouled off only the close ones. They didn't swing at the low and outside garbage that strikes out Sanchez, Stanton, and Judge.

Sanchez is not a future Yankees star. He's Kevin Maas with worse defense. Andujar is another story. He's a keeper, even if we don't know where to keep him.

Celerino Sanchez said...

Can you imagine spending 2 billion dollars in 20 years and you get 1 WS win. I saw on another website that Cashman's under the radar moves have fueled this team for the last 2-3 years. Well that's because the "on the radar" moves have sucked. In 2017 you were a pitcher away from hitting the big time, but no, HOF Cashman had to spend Hal's bonus $$$ on Stanton, the best HR hitter when you are either up/down by 10 runs. So now we are cash(man) strapped again. Where are we going to get the money to sign DJ, etc. Well to take a line from "It's A Wonderful life" that money is in Stanton's house and Chapman's House and Hick's house and all we have left is $2.00. But the media will continue to say that Cashman is one the best GM's ever, it's too the point that Joe Biden is asked harder questions than Cashman.

HoraceClarke66 said...

More like $3-5 billion, Celerino.

Yeah, what a mess. You guys are right. Not only has the core of the Dream Team of 2017 rotted away, we're also down to 1 starter and maybe 1-2 relievers.

For that matter, it's a been a lesson to watch cookie play. Cashie might have signaled to him to be a free agent, or he might have demanded Yelich when he could have had him. Instead, he signed on with Hicks for many years to come.

By next season, this Yankees team should be on the big, downward slide.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.

Nitish Kumar said...

LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever