Thursday, April 7, 2022

A Few Thoughts Going Into The Season...

Our descent into what Dante called, "Circle of Hell #27 - The On Deck Circle" is upon us. 

I have a few thoughts...

1) Toronto has the single greatest homefield advantage of all time. 

The Canadian vax rules will prevent unvaccinated stars and other roster players from entering Canada. So when the Yankees play them they will be minus Judge, Rizzo, and I guess we will find out who else. Since it's not an injury there's no IL and we will play short handed. AS WILL EVERY OTHER TEAM IN MLB! 

What's that worth over the course of the season? 5-7 games? 10 games? 

For the record, as a triple vaxxed - twice infected covid long hauler I am VERY grateful for the vaccine. I suspect that without it I'd be dead, as would my children who also had a tough time. So This isn't an anti-vax screed. Far from it. 

If anything, I have issues with both Judge and Rizzo for putting the team in this position. 

All of that aside - wow that's one serious homefield advantage. I don't see enough coverage about it from the Gammonites and wanted to mention it here. Sucks. 

2) We actually have a good team.

Not the team I wanted but we've improved. We have a real shortstop, a real first baseman, and two real catchers. It will help. Yes the entire AL East improved more than we did. And yes, the Brain is a moron but we are a good team. Just not a great team. 

So no World Series for us but, as a fan of the horrific NY Giants and the absurd NY Knicks, (or is it the absurd NY Giants and the horrific NY Knicks? I forget.) I know what it's like to accept the loss before I turn on the TV. The Yankees will be in pretty much every game and there will be an expectation of a win most of the time. 

3) What's with the 4th inning?

Why do they always seem to give up multiple runs in the 4th inning? Drives me nuts. 

4) and last...

The team is too old, poorly constructed, and still employs Gallo.(My new Sanchez! Well, I will give him credit for being a really good fielder) but until the injuries happen there are a lot of good to great players we're running out there. So, I said 93 wins, the final wild card, and an early exit and I'm sticking with it. 

And, with a nod to Peter King, here is an adieu Haiku:

The season brings dread.

Our demise three tweaks away

Fuck that. Let's Play Ball! 

 



4 comments:

ranger_lp said...

How many games we lost last year by giving the opposition extra outs? Our crack team of analytics decided to improve our team defense in exchange for losing some HRs and RBIs. We'll see if they are right...

EDB said...

Doug, good thoughts. Judge should get vaccinated. Hal is the Wilpons. He will not go above and beyond to win. The lack of improvements will come back to haunt the Yankees.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Very good points, Doug! Though I'm still sticking with 77.

The Archangel said...

The salary which Judge and Rizzo would have received for each day that each is unable to play solely because of their decision not to vaccinate, should be donated to the Tunnel to Towers Foundation to buy homes for REAL heroes not these posers.