Monday, April 11, 2022

"I dug into Joey Gallo's career numbers last year when we traded for him and I was very worried..."

From the comments section from the always-on-target ZacharyA...

"I dug into Joey Gallo's career numbers last year when we traded for him and I was very worried.

"First, Gallo's career batting line is .206/.333/.487 (.819 OPS). That is not an elite offensive player, no matter how much the pundits tell us he's an All Star bat. That's an OK bat. About 14% better than league average by adjusted OPS.

"Second, since 2020, Gallo has hit .193/.337/.431 (.768 OPS) in 855 PA. He's trending in the wrong direction. And that's not a small sample size. Tell me what exactly is special about a .431 SLG?

"Third, in his career, Gallo has hit .141/..302/.340 (.642 OPS) in "high leverage" situations, according to FanGraphs. That does not seem ideal.

"Last night, when he trotted to the plate against Jake Diekman, I was shouting at the tv for Boone to pinch hit because obviously he had no chance vs. a power-throwing lefty. Then I realized there was no one on the bench but Marwin Gonzalez. Tremendous roster construction, Brian.

"I have this terrible sinking feeling that Cashman is going to try to extend Gallo for three reasons: 

1) he can take Judge's spot in RF in 2023;

2) he'll be cheaper now given his recent struggles;

and 3) the shift ban is coming in 2023 and maybe Gallo can get his BA all the way up to .220."


 I believe I speak for the Yankiverse in hoping for an asteroid strike before the Yankees extend Gallo. 

7 comments:

Doug K. said...

Here's another stat:

Lowest AYG-HAB on the team .05 (on a scale of 0-10)

AYG-HAB = Are You Glad He's At Bat.

It's only three games and I'm already hitting Fast Forward when he's up,

HoraceClarke66 said...

Wow. Thank, Zach. And that's absolutely terrifying...but yeah, absolutely The Brain's type of ballplayer.

The Archangel said...

Yeah, remember the days when say, Chili Davis, could have been a pitch-hitter.
This team is death by a thousand cuts.

BTR999 said...

Not quite sure how to say this, but when I see and listen to Gallo, he seems a little off? Does he have some kind of impairment? I’m not being sarcastic and sorry to sound like a bit of an asshole, but I just can’t understand how a MLB hitter can have such a poor approach at the plate. As Zach said, could totally see Cashman and Co. using him as some sort of replacement for Judge if he leaves…

ZacharyA said...

I believe Gallo has some form of Tourette Syndrome which results in the facial tics and weird expressions. Obviously we can't hold that against him, and I don't think a seemingly mild (in his case) neurological disorder has any impact on his approach at the plate.

Gallo is just the poster child for Three-True Outcomes baseball. Go to the plate, swing as hard as possible, and if the pitcher is wild, lay off. No one does it more than Gallo.

BTR999 said...

Thanks Zach. No, I don’t hold it against him at all, but it’s tough to watch this with literally half the infield wide open.

TheWinWarblist said...

I'm willing for an asteroid strike to the noggin of either Gallo, Hal, Cashman, Boone? Yeah Boone too. Or me. There is only so much more of this I can take.