Friday, July 31, 2026

AN AA IIHIIFIIC EDITORIAL GAME THREAD MESSAGE –


 

36 comments:

BTR999 said...

So far, 6 up, 6 down, with 4 strike outs. Yes, fire him!

The Hammer of God said...

Spencer Jones looks pretty good, eh? I wasn't worried about all the strike outs in the minors. Not even the strikeouts he had up here. Let him develop, give him a chance. I think the floor is a 4th outfielder. His potential is definitely hard to predict. Maybe he'll be a Joey Gallo. Maybe better than Gallo. Maybe a lot better. A player like this is like gambling with "house money". You've got nothing to lose. If he turns out to be a 4th outfielder, that's not nothin'. A good, young 4th oufielder is still pretty valuable. The Yankees would be pretty stupid to trade him away.

The Hammer of God said...

This is a really dangerous time of the game. Warren always seems to lose concentration with two outs. I would've taken him out before that hit. Now it's first and second.

The Hammer of God said...

Bregman continues to be a pain in the ass. Another guy who always seems to step it up against the Yankees. Doesn't seem to matter what team he's on.

The Hammer of God said...

Blackburn again. I don't know if I like this selection. He's gettin' overused big time.

The Hammer of God said...

Dodged a pretty huge fucking bullet there.

The Hammer of God said...

A fucking 6 and 1/2 ERA out of the Cub's bullpen. Let's see if the Battlin' Bronx Bastards can score some fucking runs.

The Hammer of God said...

Cubbies are another one of the teams these days who have big time offense. Gotta score runs to beat these guys.

The Hammer of God said...

Goldschmidt is getting way too much playing time. Even with some big hitters out, you still can't play Goldschmidt every day. He's a bench player now. Every other day, at best.

The Hammer of God said...

Well on their way to fucking up another inning. 1st and 2nd, nobody out. Can't move them up even one base.

ranger_lp said...

Scared…frightened…

The Hammer of God said...

And Rice strikes out against a raw rookie making his fucking major league debut. Fucking amazing.

JM said...

Yes to everything Hammer says. I didn't even know they had a day game today so I'm just catching the last couple innings. Was that a Jones home run for the two runs?

JM said...

I see it was one for Jones and one for Rosario.

JM said...

Hoss, that page was from Richard Cramer's bio of Joe D.

The Hammer of God said...

Rosario hit one. JD just missed one, otherwise would've been back to back. Then later Jones hit one. So they finally scored a couple of runs and took a lead against a Japanese starter.

The Hammer of God said...

Ah, I think I'll look for it. Thanks!

The Hammer of God said...

Blackburn earned his pay today. He and Tim Hill, really showing they've got a pair lately.

The Hammer of God said...

And if the Yankees are gonna win today, they'll have to close it out in the 9th. Cuz you know what'll happen if the Cubs tie and it goes to extras. 2-0, not much margin for error. You get the feeling that, if the Yankees win, it'll be 2-0. If the Cubs put guys on and score, it's trouble.

JM said...

Grisham earned bupkus. Is he still above .200? Just terrible. And Goldie, like last year. Runs out of gas early.

What a lineup.

The Hammer of God said...

And what do you know? Yankee weather on the way! Just the thing to help the defense that can't get out of its own way.

The Hammer of God said...

A hit, Uh oh!

The Hammer of God said...

And they can put the defibrillation equipment back on the rack!

JM said...

Yankees win. I can't get too excited by it.

The Hammer of God said...

Man, figures that bastard Bregman would be the last out. Scared the crap out of me!

JM said...

Yeah, he's a pain in the ass.

BTR999 said...

Yanks with RISP incl. today : 4-35
Not good

The Hammer of God said...

Grisham went 0 for 4, now hitting .214, .694 OPS. Another one that gets way too much playing time. JD and Jones are already better players. But mark my words, as soon as the walking wounded get back, JD and Jones are both getting benched or sent back to the minors.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Thanks, JM. Cramer was a very good writer, though I thought he was too hard on Joe D. in that book. DiMaggio, I think, never got over Ruppert and Barrow hanging him out to dry because he wanted a nice raise after his monster, 1937 season.

Poor McCarthy really did drive himself crazy—but at least he knew what he was doing!

HoraceClarke66 said...

By the by, picked this stat up from Pinstripe Alley (no, I'm not cheating! I swear it!):
ankees offensive rankings on May 31st (Judge’s last game):

wRC+: 2nd
xwOBA: 2nd
HR: 1st
BB%: 1st

Since June 1st (coming into today):
wRC+: 28th
xwOBA: 27th
HR: 9th
BB%: 26th




HoraceClarke66 said...

And mind you, Judge, already hurting and waylaid by the poisonous World Baseball Classic, was not having a particularly good year for him.

Great job finding a replacement for Soto, Cashie.

13bit said...

Patti Smith hung out with the Pope and Frank Serpico was finally invited to an official city function, the swearing-in of our newest Sheriff. The Yankees may now be the definition of the most uncool part of NYC, but we still have a bit of oomph left.

Rufus T. Firefly said...

I'm impressed with the Frank. Serpico reference.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Me, too!

HoraceClarke66 said...

Ten years ago, I interviewed Patti Smith about Camus at some celebration of him downtown. Funny story.

edb said...

Again, Boone sucks. So does Genius Cashman!