Across the world, millions of innocent people are fleeing floods, wildfires, maelstroms and war - oblivious to what we of the Yankiverse would manically consider "Doomsday Doubleday Judgement Day" - with two games against Boston that will define 2026, at least until next week.
It's nuts to assign cataclysmic significance to the outcome of a sporting gig, a cultural parlor game, but the ship called "Reason" sailed long ago. In our bug jar, where our feelers barely touch the air holes, we today face six to eight hours of grueling, self-imposed anxiety, as we prepare for two games that will change nothing in our lives, aside from the panicky fact that we can think of nothing else.
The twi-night doubleheader - ahh, a vestige from the distant past - begins at 1:05 p.m., with the nightcap set for 7:15 p.m., give or take. By then, either team could be out of bullpen arms, summoning the dregs from their Triple A wastewater ponds. By then, certain Yankees could be headed back to Scranton, (where Anthony Volpe last night reverted to SS.) By then, one fan base will be drunkenly celebrating, and the other will be measuring nearby bridges.
And here's the joke.
Probably, nothing will come of it.
After all the buildup, all the handwringing, the teams will do what happens in most doubleheaders: They will split. (Yank fans would happily accept such an outcome.) Come Monday, the Yankees fly to LA, with a new time zone and lease on life. Swimmin' pools. Movie stars.
Today, the Babadook. Next week, San Diego. Keep that in mind, as the terrors descend. They can beat us. They can sweep us. But they can't eliminate us.
17 comments:
A hard rain’s a gonna fall.
Would you like to ride in my beautiful balloon
Would you like to ride in my beautiful balloon
We could float among the stars together, you and I
For we can fly, we can fly
Up, up and away in
My beautiful, my beautiful balloon
The world's a nicer place in my beautiful balloon
It wears a nicer face in my beautiful balloon
We can sing a song and sail along the silver sky
For we can fly, we can fl
Up, up and away
My beautiful, my beautiful balloon
It is
Balloon
The Master always said that it's very difficult to sweep a double-header.
But, for the Yankees, losing both is kinda easy.
Once again, something on this blog gives me instant PTSD.
I’m so excited. And I just can’t hide it. I’m about to lose my mind and I think I like it.
I actually didn't even know today would be a double dip until last night. It does help the Yankees, because it's hard for Boston to sweep. But it's easier to sweep a double bubble these days than it was in the old days.
Last night, another 1-0 win. So that's two this year, right? The hardest score to win by, obviously. Yankee pitching was up to it. And the offense did its part by scoring the one lousy run. Same as the other 1-0 win this year, on a home run by Goldschmidt. And that other 1-0 win was also a Cam Schlittler start. But I don't know that I like these 1-0 affairs. They give you angina.
That was a big win. So the Battlin' Bronx Bastards won't get swept this series.
They got lucky, in my opinion. There were multiple times where the ceiling came damn close to caving in. On a different night, they might've lost 10-1. It's hard to be jumpin' for joy over that one. Felt more like a reprieve than a win.
(Peter Cushing appears before you in the castle dungeon.)
Prisoner Number 6: Your execution has been stayed by the Court of Iniquity. Your fate will be determined today ... by your own hand.
Here, on this tray before you are two drinking glasses filled with blood. One is the blood of a yak, the drink of choice for Mongol barbarians. It is harmless, other than possibly infecting you with parasites, in which case you may develop a parasitic infection of the brain that will turn you into a vegetable in a nursing home. But if it does, that likely won't happen for at least twenty years.
The other ... is the blood of a werewolf.... Yes, there are such a-cursed magical creatures still in existence today. Drink of the werewolf's blood, and you will inherit this eternal lunar curse, the kind that drives men mad, lusting for the flesh and blood of their fellow men. It will begin on the next night of the full moon. You will transform into a bloodthirsty demonic creature that hunts men by the light of the moon. There is no cure, no tonic that will arrest this pro-cess. The only way for it to end is ... through ... death. You will be hunted by men by day. You will hunt men by night. Decapitation will kill you. Fire will kill you. A silver bullet? That is an old wives tale. Any bullet is capable of killing you. But let the hunter beware, the werewolf is ... clever .... Being a man, with demonic qualities, he is not so easy to kill. Madmen are very powerful because they know not their own limitations.
So WHICH of these glasses, Prisoner Number 6, dost thou choose?
Prisoner Number 6: And if I will not choose?
Cushing: Then, I will you offer you one of my excellent cigarettes!
(Cushing explodes into laughter, and I suddenly awake. It the is morning of a beautiful day. And my clock radio is playing Led Zeppelin's "The Song Remains the Same":)
I had a dream
A crazy dream
Anything I wanted to know....
I am not a number….I AM A FREE MAN !
(Channeling Cliff from Cheers): Ah, I gotta differ with you on yer uh twi-night doubleheader definition, O Peerless Leader. Today is actually a uh day-night doubleheader. Yer classic twi-night doubleheader stahted about 4 or 5—I think that was the "twi," because it was "twilight"—and it was NOT separate admissions.
Unlike today, when they chahge you another admission if you go to the bathroom.
Who is number 1?
Hoss, don't give HAL any ideas!
I laughed. Yes, out loud.
This is just excellent, Hammer.
Ah, the twi-nighters. Back when men were men and baseball was baseball. And stadium beer was still overpriced.
Post a Comment