Friday, February 20, 2009

Oscar Fever: Obscure Movie References That Were Deleted From Joe Torre's Book

In "The Yankee Years," Joe claims Arod held a "Single White Female" obsession for Derek Jeter, referring to the otherwise nearly forgotten 1992 stalker/identity theft film starting Bridget Fonda and Jennifer Jason Leigh.

Sadly, several other movie references ended up on the cutting room floor:

We all knew Farnsworth could go "Silence of the Lambs" after walking the leadoff batter, so when David Ortiz strode to the plate, you better believe I was thinking, "Judgment at Nuremberg."


In the clubhouse, Hideki Matsui sported one of his "To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar" grins, and I knew that before the night was done, he'd do "The Lawnmower Man" on some Kansas City "Children of a Lesser God" pitcher.


The Dodgers' problem? Their "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood" way of doing business had created a perpetual "Waterworld," because everybody wanted to be "The Big Lebowski."

I never bought that "Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion" view of Kevin Youkilis. For my money, he's got "Mystic River" intensity, even if comes in an "Elephant Man" package.

I looked him right in the eye and said, 'Who am I talking to, Andruw Jones... or Bridget Jones?" Well, that sent him into a "Thelma and Louise." The rest of our meeting was pure "Mothra 3: King Ghidora Attacks!"


Jason Giambi was a "Terminator" slugger having a "Terminator 3" year. All I could say was, "I still know what you did last summer."

Mariano Rivera, the consummate "Transporter," views every ninth inning as his personal chance to save Private Ryan. Trouble is, some teammates are into "being John Malkovich," "leaving Las Vegas" and "forgetting Sarah Marshall" in an attempt to "Escape from the Planet of the Apes."


I never thought I'd see Manny Ramirez go "Scarface" on his ex-teammates, but the guy has a "Chinatown" side I can't quite understand.


Dealing with George Steinbrenner was always "2001: A Space Odyssey," but when his two sons took over, the last thing I expected was "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back."

No comments: