Monday, October 30, 2017

In alt-universe, last night's Yankees-Dodgers game was rained out

BREAKING _ Tonight, all eyes are on the alt-Bronx, when the alt-Yanks take on the alt-Dodgers in alt-Game Four of the alt-World Series, following two alt-rain-outs...

Yeah, it's that pathetic. Still thinking about Greg Bird sliding into home. The real world just hurts. The Badgers and Assholes are playing extra-inning barn-burners, perfect for West Coast celebrities who don't care anyway, but killers for us nobodies of the East. We get the first six innings - de facto exhibition games, as everything changes when the bullpens take over. I can't watch little Jose Altuve's hawk 5-hour energy drinks, or the commercial where Flo hides in the kid's bedroom closet. Talk about nightmares. Who writes these, Harvey Weinstein? Meanwhile, we get to ponder the next Yankee manager from a list of no-names that only Brian Cashman recognizes. 

What are we supposed to do? Watch the Jersey Gints? Please. I'm already rooting for the draft pick. The Jets? The Knicks? The Rangers? Dear God. NYC sports is an ongoing catastrophe, with only one traditional element of pride, and it ended because Greg Bird didn't try a hook slide, and it's not his fault, it just happened. The alt- and real worlds have one thing in common: A steady rain. 

Yesterday, for a while, I actually pondered the Yankee payroll, crossing off future salaries and cackling over the coins saved like Ebenezer Scrooge. It gave me a headache. I hate myself. Over the years, I have refused to tolerate the Steinbrenners poor-mouthing about payrolls and luxury taxes - these are billionaires pretending to be millionaires, so we'll feel sorry for them - and there I was, giddy over the chance to screw Matt Holliday from future paydays, so Randy Levine can stuff more cash into his suitcase. Ridiculous. Only at this time of year, when baseball is still going, but the Yankees are not. 

I tried following the Arizona Fall League. Did you know that Thairo Estrada, a promising shortstop, is fifth in the AFL in hitting? Last I looked, he was at .392. And Billy McKinney - now playing first - is leading the league in RBIs! But here's the rub, we could lose either or both in the December Rule 5 draft, when MLB teams pick our carcass clean like a marching army of fire ants. Between now and early December, Cashman will likely trade prospects to lessen the upcoming bloodletting. So there's no point in following celebrating a good Arizona autumn, unless it's within some alt-world drug delirium. 

Winter is coming, the trees look bare, and I'm still thinking about Bird sliding into home. The World Series is still going, the games end at 1:30 a.m., and - you know what? I don't care who wins. Calgon Beauty Beads, take me away!

5 comments:

JM said...

As a public service, here is the schedule for Curling Night in America on NBCSN. You can set your DVR.

Don't forget, the 2018 Olympic Curling Trials are Nov. 11-18 in Omaha.

Date Coverage Time (ET)
Tues., Oct. 10 U.S. vs. Scotland – Men 1 a.m.*
Tues., Oct. 17 U.S. vs. Scotland – Women 1 a.m.*
Tues., Oct. 24 U.S. vs. China – Men 11 p.m.
Tues., Oct. 31 U.S. vs. Japan – Women 7 p.m.
Tues., Nov. 7 U.S. vs. Japan – Men 12:30 a.m.*
Tues., Nov. 21 U.S. vs. Japan – Women
U.S. vs. China – Mixed Doubles 11:30 p.m.
Tues., Nov. 28 U.S. vs. Japan – Mixed Doubles 11:30 p.m.
Tues., Dec. 5 U.S. vs. Scotland – Mixed Doubles 1 a.m.*

*late Tuesday/early Wednesday

TheWinWarblist said...

[punches self in nuts, vomits]

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I only watch the Canadian women's Olypics curling team... LB (No J)

Anonymous said...

That's "Olympics", of course...typing too fast. LB (No J)

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.