Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Tonight, tonight, I'll see my love tonight. And for us, stars will stop where they are. Today the minutes seem like hours. The hours go so slowly, And still the skiy is light. Oh moon, grow bright, And make this endless day endless night... Tonight!

This is it, the night of nights. This is it, we'll hit the hits. And oh what heights we'll hit... ON WITH THE SHOW THIS IS IT!

They say that our infinite universe was once compacted into a sphere roughly the size of a dust mite's dandruff flake, and that everything burst apart with such force that we can still hear the bleat, and that objects are still hurtling off in every direction, and that someday, the flow of time will reverse itself, and everything will start returning to that eternal coffee crumb. Thus, whatever happens tonight, we shall someday relive it, moving backwards. 

It is to you readers, swimming in reverse, who started at the bottom of this page, and who are smirking now, because they know the outcome... it is you that I wish to address.

Damn. We shot a whole year on this team. We watched the Yanks dominate in spring training - best record in the league - and then we watched the rise of Aaron Judge, that potential statue in Monument Park, if not Cooperstown. We saw a kid, Dustin Fowler, rise from the minors, wreck his knee, never come to bat and then vanish, never perhaps to play for us - and we still don't know the implications... but you do.

We watched the Yankees rise, then fall, then come together at the end of the regular season. We argued about Trump, as did everybody in the country, and now and then, what united us were the tears from bad things happening - either from nature or from ourselves. And you already know if everything was just an illusion of hope, a waste of our precious time, whether we'd have been better off doing what we constantly threatened to do - devote this blog to the I.B.S. lady. 

When the whole year is one frickin' night, where should we have started? What should we have said that wouldn't look stupid, in retrospect? The last time we went through a Wild Card - you'll be reliving it in four years - we produced zero runs on three hits, and everything ended with Gardy trying to outrun the boos on a weak grounder to the second. Was that our fate again tonight? Yeesh, this time and space thing is confusing. From now on, let me address all of those moving in our current continuum.

Tonight, IT IS HIGH will host another in-game chat, as we did a few weeks ago. I won't live-blog the game - it undermines my juju - but I will check in between innings and after rallies or supreme mess-ups. I hope you join us, for better or worse. If we win, it's more fun. If we lose, we'll need each other.   

I hereby urge everyone to "dress" for the game. Wear your best juju shirt. In the past, I have bad-mouthed "lucky shirts." The truth is, if there is such a thing as "a lucky shirt," it would be owned by billionaires, not dorks like us. But lately, I'm thinking some billionaires may possess garments alter their position in life. What else explains Jared Kushner? If "lucky shirts" exist, maybe a few have fallen through the cracks - like nude paintings of Ben Affleck - sold at garage sales into our grubby hands. Today, I'll go through my wardrobe. This is one-game juju, folks. Dress for success.

Keys to the game? 

Aaron Judge needs to accept the walks that Minnesota will give him. 

Sevy must avoid the early home run.

We must not fall down by one or two in the second inning. 

Betances needs to sit this one out.  

We should worry about Miguel Sano.

The Girardi Sequence is working in our favor. (We lost Sunday, which means a two or three game winning streak.)

If we lose tonight, I shall hate the Wild Card until my dying day. 

R.I.P. Tom Petty. Too young. 

12 comments:

Ken of Brooklyn said...

It just can't end tonight,,,,,, but if it does, I've never been more optimistic for a coming year.

I have my lucky Jeter shirt and a fifth of scotch
GOooOOOOoooooooOOOOOO YANKEES!!!!!!!!!

Alphonso said...

Something is already working for us. Miguel Sano ( shin ) is not playing.

Alphonso said...

I have home brewed, Icelandic vodka and jalapeño-pickled quail eggs from east Texas.

Also, medical Mary Jane: chewable jellies, chocolates, and oils.

I also have my 20 gauge, over and under, sitting on the bed, next to my right hand. Just in case the TV shows me something I don't wish to see.

It all comes down to nine innings.

Time for perfect baseball. Yankee style.

JM said...

My only real fear is that Girardi will find a way to fuck it up. The only way to avoid that is to score more than eight runs.

Santana is winless in six starts at the new Stadium, with a 6.49 ERA. Yet he taunts us and says this will be number one.

We must demolish him. Regardless of what Severino does, Santana must be publicly humiliated.

It's up to the bats.

Anonymous said...

WATCH FOR SANO TO COME IN LATER IN THE GAME (I READ)....

THIS IS IT GUYS....

TIME TO HUNKER DOWN...

JOHN M. IS TOTALLY CORRECT....

IT'S UP TO THE BATS....

DOES JACK AND COKE GO WITH QUAIL EGGS?

Reverse JuJu Boy said...

OMG the Twins are so awesome. They'll beat us for sure. We don't stand a chance. If we don't get no-hit, I will consider it a miraculous victory!

Anonymous said...

I'm doing all I can in preparation for tonight.

I've found my little plastic statues of Joe D. and Mickey Mantle and placed them on the TV leaving Don Mattingly in the drawer (love him but he carries the stench of never winning.

I removed all of the interior Yankees from my NYY Matryoshka doll set Jeter, Bernie, Tino etc. and placed them on the TV as well. (Yes I still have a 32"tube TV)

I will be wearing my Matsui tee shirt and will be drinking Yoo Hoo and Grey Goose, making a really bad White Russian. Sorry about all the Russian stuff but I'm covering the bases in case Trump sells Alaska back to them in exchange for a chain of Trump hotels in Kamchatka.

So I'm all set juju wise.

There is only ONE WAY the Twins can beat us... if they score more runs.

Doug K.

Parson Tom said...

Kamchatka Vodka: A value purchase. Have not been able to find any quail eggs -- didn't look very hard, either. Otherwise fully stocked for a delirious celebration or a mournful wake.

13bit said...

Why should we even show up?

Marcus Unrealius said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Local Bargain Jerk said...


I went out for drinks with friends after work and I just got back in time for the game. I'm going to have Shepherd's Pie for dinner. Plus red wine. And these awesome mint chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches for dessert.

I brought the laptop to the television room for the live chat. I'll fire that up in a moment.

I think I'm all set.

Severino: Please throw strikes.

Batters: Please advance the runners. Just put the ball in play.

Locked and loaded.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.