Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Who's the cheater?

Margaret, or Peg, a new voice here, writes to ask the intriguing question (if I may be so bold as to paraphrase): 


"Why is, say, gambling on ballgames worse than stealing signs?  Isn't cheating cheating?  Shouldn't it all be punished equally?"

First, Peg, I would like to say thanks for joining our merry band of lonely, bitter, drunken men.  (The upside is, you could do even worse, such as maybe a heavily armed incel militia.)

My response would be this:  gambling is the red line, the third rail, the inviolable sanctum sanctorum because it leaves in question whether people are trying.  

Players get caught "cheating" all the time. 

They smear stuff on the baseball, they smear stuff on their bats, they run out of the baselines, they steal signs the old-fashioned way (squinting from second base), they let the infield turf grow long or they cut it short, they ingest dangerous substances that make their heads grow and their testicles shrink, and they grab onto opponents belts when they're turning third or hide extra baseballs in the outfield grass. 

Well, all right:  those last two not so much since the original Baltimore Orioles of the 1890s.

But you get my point.  Everybody's always looking for an edge and if they go overboard they get punished for it, as they should.  

But gambling is something else.  Gambling rips away the essential pretense that keeps the game going.  

Much as we groan and moan about ballplayers, they go to incredible lengths to win, even now that they're all rich.  They crash into walls (and into each other), tear up their knees making sliding catches, risk taking 100-mph fastballs to the head.

Once that stops—once we don't know if anybody out there really is doing their best to win—then it's what Jerry Seinfeld called it:  just rooting for the laundry.

Or even less!  What reason is there at all to watch the games, if the players can purposely lose and don't get punished?

This is why major-league baseball hired an egotistical nut job like Kenesaw Mountain Landis and even handed over power to him, in order to quash the gambling pandemic that was threatening to wipe out the game at the start of the 1920s.

And that is why it meant so much when the glorious Babe ascended to New York City, and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty, from whence He shall come to judge the quick and the dead.

Or something like that.  

But it's true:  the ascent of the New York Yankees is intimately connected to stomping out gambling by ballplayers.  

The Babe was what we want all ballplayers to be:  a wonderful, overgrown manchild, who in his sweet naivete made himself a fortune entertaining us.  

Pete Rose can go suck an egg.
   






13 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Thanks...I think. Not sure I agree completely but see where you're coming from.
And I've been commenting for years....now I feel cheated. Just kidding boys.
And agreed, Pete Rose can go suck it.

Anonymous said...

ROSE WAS, AND MOST LIKELY STILL IS A PRICK, HOSS.

I HATED HIM! (ESPECIALLY WHEN HE CAUGHT MICKEY RIVERS LINE DRIVE IN THE '76 WORLD SERIES AND "SNAGGED" HIS GLOVE AT US, AS TO SAY, "FUCK YOU")!

THEY TOTALLY DOMINATED US IN THAT DEPRESSING SERIES, AND THERE WAS NO NEED FOR THAT.

I UNDERSTAND THE OPINION OF ""THE LINE" WITH GAMBLING, BUT TO ME, STEROID USE IS THE HOLY GRAIL OF "CHEATING".

THE HALL OF FAME COMMITTEE, RIGHT NOW, IS SUPPOSEDLY "HOLDING THE LINE" ON STEROID CHEATERS.

...BUT SOON ALL THE DOORS WILL OPEN FOR ALL OF THEM. (ALREADY MIKE PIAZZA SNUCK INTO THE HOF WHILE QUIETLY ADMITTING IN HIS BOOK THAT HE TOOK THE STEROID "ANDROSTENEDIONE" (BANNED BY THE OLYMPICS), BUT NOT BANNED BY BASEBALL AT THE TIME.

THAT IS LIKE SAYING, I ILLEGALLY MURDERED THE PERSON, BUT THE GUN WAS LEGAL...IT IS A RIDICULOUS ARGUEMENT.

I DON'T LIKE ROSE, BUT AS A PLAYER, MY MIND SAYS, "HALL OF FAME", THE PRICK WAS A WINNER ON THE FIELD.




Anonymous said...

"Why is, say, gambling on ballgames worse than stealing signs? Isn't cheating cheating? Shouldn't it all be punished equally?"

If by equally you mean throw the book at both offenses then I agree.

The key to sports, IMHO, is that we are watching a pure product that showcases the best athletes at their position (or sport). Cheating rips off the public and even worse rips off the people who come in second, or don't medal, or don't get called up.

I have nothing but disdain for them.

As to Rose gambling - As Hoss pointed out a manager who is trying to win a game as opposed to what's best for the season is a danger. As is the potential for blackmail.

He got what he deserved.

As to the name Cora-Gate. I will not comment on possible nicknames that a certain revered Yankee Hall of Fame shortstop might have had for his wife's personal parts.

Because I have class.

Doug K.

JM said...

I don't get the "win a game as opposed to what's best for the season." The feels kinda thin to me. But then, I think you should try to win EVERY game, so...

Anonymous said...

What I fear most is that, with the advent of all this internet sports gambling getting legalized everywhere, the argument over whether Pete Rose should be allowed into the Hall will become very small potatoes. With everyone surfing the internet on their smartphones, using laptops and phones in the dugouts, in the clubhouses, I think it's just going to be a matter of time before the next huge gambling scandal in baseball. What is MLB going to do if and when it finds out that a huge percentage of players are gambling on baseball? We're only a whisker away from gamblers, the Mafia, and international hackers like Russia and Communist China running everything from baseball to the U.S. presidential and Senate elections.

The Hammer of God

TheWinWarblist said...

"The upside is, you could do even worse, such as maybe a heavily armed incel militia."

You giving odds on that, Duque? I don't think I'd take any part of that action. Too close to call.

HoraceClarke66 said...

JM, say you're 10 games up, coming down the stretch and gearing up for the playoffs.

Your ace closer's arm is feeling the strain of a long season, it would be best to rest him for a few games, with the division title all but wrapped.

BUT NO! Your manager has 30 large on tonight's action. Is he going to give that up just to maximize your team's chances in the postseason? The hell you say.

I can think of a dozen different scenarios, but you get the point: you want your manager thinking ONLY about what's in the best interests of your team, NOT his bets that evening.

HoraceClarke66 said...

ALL-CAPS, I still think gambling is worse because at least the juicers are trying to win, but I hear ya. I would do much more to end the doping.

And I think you're absolutely right about Mike Piazza.

The writers are going to use PEDs as an excuse to make the Hall a personality contest. Their thinking on Piazza typically makes no sense. If he doped, don't let him in. If he didn't, let him in. No "you have to wait three years" penalties.

You watch: these idiots will vote in Big Papi but leave out A-Rod and Manny, because...they just like Big Papi. Same way they left out Albert Belle who they didn't even have any actual evidence on, because he was a jerk.

They should make a hard and fast rule. If you juice, you don't go in. But they won't.

HoraceClarke66 said...

And Hammer, I share your paranoia. I also worry what's going to happen with all these sports paying their refs so relatively little.

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE RIGHT ON THE BUTTON HOSS!

FAT FRAUD PAPI IS GOING IN FIRST TRY.

HE GOT CAUGHT, HE JUST LIED TO GET OUT OF IT.

I DESPISE HIM.

HoraceClarke66 said...

And then he got caught again!

And Peg o'my Heart, very sorry not to remember you. It's just that we get so damned few women here...(sob).

AaronKarp said...

If you faced infidelity, you can check your partner with the app https://www.mspylite.com/ .It's a tracking app which I used to check my ex girlfriend. I had the access to all her social media, messagess, gallery and location.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.