Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Tonight's opponent: The hurricane

Damn! These juju gods, they never let up. 

Tonight's game has been scrubbed because some "scientists" claim a storm is coming, based on their "models." Since when do we care about "models?" As a great man once said, "The professionals did the models, and I was never involved in a model. At least this kind of a model." I say, play. dammit. A few sprinkles never hurt nobody. 

We don't need no stinkin' hurricane. Beyond the floods and tornadoes, it brings the most frightening threat of all: an idle night for our restless heroes. It means a hotel bar full of bosomy autograph hounds, rude traveling marshmallow salesmen and maybe a COVID super-spreader. The 2020 champions will be the team with the most discipline, the most commitment to avoiding risk, and - quite possibly - the fewest free nights.  

Besides, we're only nine games into 2020. Who needs a rest! Already, Gary Sanchez has been spelled several times. Same with Gardy, Aaron Hicks, Luke Voit and Gleyber Torres, who took last night off, thanks to Tyler Wade. 

Which brings us to the current MLB world standings.

Fun fact: Thanks to COVID, Miami remains in contention, with a .667 winning percentage. In theory, if they never play another regular season game, they'll qualify for the Wild Card. 

Some idle stats... 

In the MLB statistical top 25 of OPS, the Yankees have three players - Aaron Judge (4th), Gio Urshela (23rd) and Giancarlo Stanton (24th). Also in that group is Didi Gregorius (12th), who came within an eyelash last night of homering, when his upper-deck shot kicked foul. I speak for the Yankiverse in wishing Sir Didi well, and thanking him for pulling that ball just a tad too far. 

Judge is tied with Nelson Cruz for the MLB lead in RBIs. (Gio tied for eighth.) He also leads the world in HRs. If you doom-scroll on the interweb today, you'll find a bunch of stories praising him with the usual narrative: He was supposed to miss the first half of the season, and now look. Of course, we're happy for him - he remains the face of the franchise - but it's a long season. (Wait, no. Check that. It's NOT a long season. He's already hit the equivalent of 15 HRs.)  

In overall hitting, Robbie Cano is tied with DJ LeMahieu for fifth, at .412.

Mookie Betts hitting .289 with 2 HRs for the Dodgers. It's going to be a long year in Boston. (Wait, no. Check that. It's going to be a short year in Boston, though it might seem long.)

The two former Yank wannabees: Manny Machado is hitting .238 with 2 HRs for the Padres. Bryce Harper is .231 with one. 

On the Cheatstros, Alex Bregman is .211 with 2 HRs, and Jose Altuve is at a meager .158 with one dinger. I guess that guessing what's coming is different than knowing what's coming, eh? 

Hitting below .150 are: Miguel Cabrera, Albert Pujols, Christian Yelich, Jurickson Profar, Andrew Benintendi and Andrew McCutcheon. Ah, but it's early. 

Wait a minute. No Yankee game tonight? Yeesh. What am I going to watch? HOLY CRAP! I GOT IT!
I thought his name was Darryl. 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

About Manny Machado & Bryce Harper, it just confirms what most of us thought: we didn't need 'em; they're just money ball free swinging home run hitters. We've already got those in droves here.

Altuve & the rest of the cheatstros: I hope they hit under .100 this year. The same with the Red Sox cheaters.

The Hammer of God

TheWinWarblist said...

I know, I know this is a historically odd season, but ...

The Yankees have won 7 in a row.

We have Rickie Ricardo in the radio booth.

...

Well?

Well!!

Where are our Spanish women!?!?

13bit said...

I'm in full agreement with you, Winnie.

As for models, meh...I went out with a fashion model in the 90s. She was half a foot taller than I and had been a "Miss" something from a midwestern state (hint: rhymes with "Okra" and "Homa"). It was fun for a while, but that fling got called for rain.

And here is my solution for the season, in order to preserve health and sanity:

The Yankees meet the Cubs on a ball field in some neutral place - maybe a large California desert high school field. Both teams are equipped with stun guns, sling shots and bull whips. No blows above the neck. Last man standing - his team wins. Season over, hot stove season begins.

Simple, right?

Anonymous said...

An odd question...

So last night Micheal Kay said that the Yankees have now won twenty-something straight series at home and are close to the record for it. (I'm paraphrasing)

According to Kay, the one game against the Phillies counted as a complete home stand and so the win goes in the record books.

And now my question - The Yankees play one home game against the Phillies at Philadelphia as part of a make up double header. If they win that game does that go to the streak?

And worse, if they lose that game (even though they are not really at home) does that snap the streak?

As an aside, when I misspelled Philadelphia as I am wont to do, my spell check offered me two choices, Philadelphia and pedophilia.

Interestingly enough when I once misspelled Boston I was offered Boston and racist townie assholes.

Just sayin'

Doug K.

TheWinWarblist said...

This is great!! We're getting the band back together!!

I expect you all online for the double-header!!





Oh, fuck you Hal, oh fuck you Hal,
how unlovely are thy scabrous cribbed and stunted soul!



Seriously, fuck you Hal, you miserable pus-filled stain on this Great Franchise, may your eyes burst with murder hornets.

HoraceClarke66 said...

I love that idea, Bitty!

HoraceClarke66 said...

Meanwhile, according to this new book, 21 percent of Americans now believe in Bigfoot and 41 percent believe in alien visitations.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/21/books/review/the-unidentified-colin-dickey.html

Just why we don't spend all our time conning our fellow citizens out of their money and possessions escapes me.

Matt P. said...

Why is the double header in the Phillies' Park where there was rampant Covid? Shouldn't they have stayed in Yankee stadium area, waited this storm out (looks like they could have payed right? I live in Cali...), and if a double header was needed had it in the Bronx? Less exposure to a contaminated zone should have been the priority I would think.

TheWinWarblist said...

Matt P., the initial concern regarding persistence of the virus on surfaces were proven largely incorrect. All the stadium needs is 48 hours to "air out" if you will. It's the diseased Phillies players and staff that can give you COVID-19. Not the bathroom stalls. Assuming you're not licking a recently used toilet seat. I hear the Gammonites all like to do that at Fenway. But I don't recommend that you do that. Leave that kink to the Gammonites.

Bitty, I dated a couple of models. Meh.





There must be some other member of the front office that needs a hearty "fuck you," but I'm on a roll so: Fuck you Hal!

Beauregard Jackson Pickett Burnside said...

Rumor is the assemblage of spare parts are to be renamed the AMC Rambler Marlins...

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.