Thursday, August 13, 2026

After 120 games, only three AL teams are out of it

The ESPN dorks keep calling the Yankees shoe-ins for the 2026 post season. Last night, one of them called us "a sleeping giant," because we expect Aaron Judge, Cody Bellinger and Giancarlo Stanton to return and beat the living crapola out of everybody. 

I call bullshit. Nine points:

1. The sad truth is that, heading for the home stretch, only three AL teams - the Royals, Angels and A's - have been eliminated. 

2. The sheer Mendoza Line mediocrity of the AL leaves several certified tomato cans in the wild card chase. 

3. Baltimore, for example, seemed to wave a white flag on Aug. 3, when they traded Adley Rutschman to Boston. They're still only two games out.

4. And last year's It Girl - Toronto - is suddenly hot, winning 7 of 10. They're a measly 1.5 games out.

5. The Yankees rotation - Schlittler, Cole, and Fried - stacks up against anybody. Also, Ryan Weathers has been lights-out, of late.

6. The Yankees also anticipate the return of the Big Three - Judge, Giancarlo and Cody.

7. That would bring a logjam at DH, 1B and the OF. And it could mean streak hitters, such as Stanton, cannot play every day. 

8. But let's not forget the one true Yankee reality. 

9. We are always in a continuum of injuries. The next wave will soon crash. There is no such thing as the Yankees at full strength. Do not unbuckle your seat belts. We are probably a lock for the playoffs. But we should thank the lowly AL for its generosity. 

18 comments:

Rufus T. Firefly said...

I will be at the game today in the Mookie Betts memorial section.

Saw the renegades last night and they have a couple players that we may see it a few years. Unfortunately, it will probably be after ca$hole traded them to a team that will actually play them.

Rufus T. Firefly said...

"see IN a few years"

AboveAverage said...

Here’s another idea (I’m full of….them).
Have Stanton move behind the dish and catch a few games.
It would be a perfect solution to our Giancarlo problem.
One or two games - or rather innings - I mean batters OH OK pitches and he’d be done.
For good.
The man wouldn’t be able to shit again without a team of medical professionals and a power lifter.

13bit said...

This is all interesting, but I'd like to see a post about the new "Wolf of Wall Street" Yankee scumbag deal with Apollo Capitol, possibly mentioning the supreme Kushner/Lakers deal and maybe the Melania Memecoin while we're at it. I guess I could write that post, but I'd be too busy puking into a bucket to edit it well. I love you all. And yes, everybody gets a trophy in today's MLB, even if they're all made of recycled Coke bottle plastic.

AboveAverage said...

Bitty - I’ll messenger over a framed 30x40 print out of yesterday’s game thread image to look at whilst you’re bucket purging.
It should offer up the extra motivation you’ll for a full system expurgation.

ranger_lp said...

So WTF happened to Cal Raleigh?

BTR999 said...

Since coming over, Garcia/Ramos are a combined 8-51 with 2 RBI’s.
Why do we have hitting coaches?

BTR999 said...

The big dumper took a big dump

13bit said...

NO JUSTICE, NO PEACE!

The Hammer of God said...

As we get into the home stretch of the season, every game becomes THE most important game of the season. Basically, a playoff game to make the playoffs. So they better win today and sweep this piece of shit Mariners team. But there's always that Boone Yankees problem of mailin' in the last game of the series. Yesterday, scored ten runs. Today? Hope it's not going to be one or two runs. You know there's a pretty good chance of that.

JM said...

I think last year was a freak event, and I thought so last year, too. Even more than Grisham's 2025.

The Hammer of God said...

I thought these guys were supposed to be better hitters than The Martian at this stage of their careers?

There is kind of a "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" phenomenon in baseball, particularly on the Yankees. Everybody thinks that you bring in someone from another team, and he'll be lights out better than what you have. But 'taint always so, eh?

The managing/coaching has to be part of it. Perhaps the analytics. I've heard they fill the batters' heads with too much stupid and useless information. They're getting the batters to think too much, instead of just "see the ball, hit the ball". We've all heard the old saying: paralysis by analysis. Too much thinking is no good for ballplayers. No good for any kind of competitive physical sport. Coaching should always focus on the fundamentals, put the players in the best position to succeed. I always subscribe to "KISS: Keep it simple, Sam. Or more applicable for these Yankees, "Keep It Simple, Stupid".

JM said...

Which reminds me: did you see the article about Jones working with Judge's private batting coach? So he and Judge can now "speak the same language" when it comes to batting conversations.

So why DO the Yankees employ a batting coach?

The Hammer of God said...

And this is the guy they wanted to give the MVP to last year, ahead of Judge. LOL

The Hammer of God said...

What was he last year, a freakin' .245 hitter? Now watch him go 3 for 4 today.

The Hammer of God said...

JM, Wow, I didn't hear that about Jones. Good for him!!! See, that is why I thought Jasson Dominguez needs to get private instruction. Who knows, maybe he did. But there are too many easily correctable mistakes going on with Dominguez that make me think that he hasn't gotten any outside help.

So now wonder Jones is doing so well! We've all been sayin' it forever, eh? A lot of these guys would be doing a lot better with private coaching. I'm sure Yankee management would have a hissy fit if they knew about it. So it has to be done during outside hours, at a batting cage somewhere else. Cloak and dagger stuff.

HoraceClarke66 said...

999, we have hitting coaches to keep us from hitting. It's that simple.

AboveAverage said...

Our hitting coach just sits there on the bench during games staring off into the field dreaming about other things . . .