Man, this is too much thinking for a four-day binge. But Will Warren and Spencer Jones, in leading the Yankees to vaunted victory over the Cubbies yesterday, just added to their trade value by having a big game. So... follow me here...
Warren, pitching shutout ball into the 7th, now looks like a cost-controlled starting pitcher for some team, any team, that is willing to cough up a decent catcher.
Unless, he's pitching so well that Cooperstown Cashman will decide to keep him, because we can't have another trade deadline where he gives up a Jordan Montgomery, which is what happened in 2022, when the brain trust whiffed on practically everything.
And Jones homered yesterday, his second in a couple days, and we might be on the verge of seeing what he does when he's hot, which might be the best time to trade him...
Unless... our lack of hitting means we need a hot bat more than ever, so why in God's creaton would we trade him, and let's get back to finding a new home and a decent return for Anthony Volpe who - beware - will probably hit three HRs today. So there. My head hurts. I need a drink. One more day of this.
29 comments:
I've always hoped Warren would pan out. Maybe he will, and I'd rather it was here. Same with Jones. I think Jones, in fact, is a better bet than the Martian. Is that heresy? So be it. I'll say Jones is the everyday player and the Martian becomes the fourth outfielder down the road a piece.
But what do I know. I rooted for Shane Spencer, too.
You know, I can't find one credible rumor anywhere concerning the Yankees and the trade deadline. About all I see is maybe we get Adley from the Orioles, maybe Holmes from the Mets, but just about nothing else. Given the looming lockout for 2027, why would the Yankees make a major trade now? And if you haven't noticed lately, there are a lot of holding the fort: Wells, Dominguez, Jones, Schlittler, Warren, Rice, Volpe, with guys like Schmidt, Cabrera and Judge on the DL. You can also consider that Bellinger and Stanton are on the DL along with Judge. Regardless of how you feel about any one of those players, the slow introduction of homegrown Yankees is taking place, with guys like Lombard and LaGrange in the wings. The Yankees are 62-48 with this group. I mean, perhaps a small trade to get a catcher or a bullpen piece, but I am not sure, if I were Cashman, I'd make any deals at all. What's on the DL may be enough for the next two month if the Yankees continue to hold their current position. And if I were Hal, I especially wouldn't burn any cash going into a lockout year. I don't think this team is good enough to win the World Series, but it may be good enough as currently constructed to get in the playoffs, take a chance, and if nothing else, bring in some extra playoff cash to Hal's coffers. This is how the Yankees are thinking in the Ca$hman-Hal era, and it's a growing trend across the league, as Mr. Baker so clearly explained. Get used to it.
Oh - many of us are used to it.
Been my contention all along the team won’t make any major trades at the deadline. That hasn’t changed.
I think it would be stupid to trade either of Warren or Jones. Whatever the return, it wouldn't justify it. Warren has really good stuff. He'll be a good starter for a long time, when he figures out how to get hitters out, which he did yesterday. Jones, at worst, is going to be a good 4th outfielder, brings defense and speed, unlike Grisham.
That's certainly possible, or both might be everyday players. Might be smart to DH Judge. Or Judge can alternate DH with Dominguez in the future. Dominguez is not coming along as quickly as I thought he would. His left handed hitting has taken a beating this year. Reverse of last year. If he can get his left handed hitting back to that .850 OPS level, he will have "made it". His right handed hitting has made huge strides this year. Still, Dominguez has barely played one full year in the majors, total service time. So we're still talking about almost a rookie. And he's a lot younger than Jones.
Jones looks like he's making big strides in a very short time. Models his swing after Shohei Ohtani, for the past year or so. What you like about Jones is that he has gotten better every time he's come up to the majors. He's older than Dominguez and so predictably has a more polished game as a result.
Putting both Jones & Dominguez in the outfield is what I wanted to do a couple of years ago. The Yankees are just incredibly slow to develop their players. And the coaching up here is abysmal. Seems their coaching in the minors is better.
When (or if) Rodon comes back, Warren can slide into the bullpen and could be excellent as a long reliever. So no need to even make a move for a bullpen piece.
Also Carlos LaGrange is reportedly not hurt so bad as they thought. He could be back very soon. After a couple weeks conditioning in the minors, they can bring LaGrange up to the majors.
There's also another pitcher in the minors with a mid-nineties fastball, I can't remember his name. Mid-nineties is not particularly hard by today's standards. But he's got such great stuff on the fastball that it's like unbelievable, they say. Batters can't touch it. That guy can come up soon also.
I heard they should bring George Lombard Jr. They say he's ready for the majors. Lombard could play SS, or they can keep Caballero at SS and put Lombard at 3B.
The guy they could definitely trade is Volpe. He could use a fresh start somewhere else. He'd be a much better player for many other teams. They'd cut his swing down, level it out. Make him a contact hitting second baseman. They'd stop his insane base running. This is just another in a long line of mis-managed young players by the Yankees.
Making a trade for a starting catcher at the trade deadline is a really big risk. That guy would have to come in mid-season and learn all the pitchers on your staff. And your pitchers might have a lot of trouble getting in sync with him. Your pitching could take a beating before it sorts out. The move could blow up in your face big time. That's why it's rare to see trades for starting catchers at the deadline. That's got to be done over the winter.
Another thing they could do is trade Jazz Chisholm. Since he'll be a free agent, and they're probably not going to retain him, it would be the smart move to get something for him now. Especially since he's been so inconsistent this year. His value would be low, but you get what you can.
Then Volpe can play 2B, where he probably belongs. Or you can put Lombard at SS, and Caballero goes to 2B.
If Lombard does come up, (and he definitely should), then you have a glut of infielders, a logjam on the left side. So amongst Caballero, Volpe, McMahon, Rosario, somebody is going to be expendable.
If they stood pat last winter, why start screwing around now? We do need guys to get healthy, though.
Trading Jazz would not give me the blues
I agree, guys. I'd like to get rid of Volpe at long last, and commit to the Lombard, and they might actually get something for Jazz considering his athleticism and how many positions he can play. And the bullpen flotsam and jetsam, of course: Bird, Doval, etc.
But they won't bring a great deal. I do think we need a catcher who can hit better than Wells—who can also go—but no one's going to hand over a first-rate receiver for that.
And I think they're almost obligated to keep Spencer and The Martian. Grisham is a joke, and everyone out there keeps getting hurt.
This is also part of The Cashman Conundrum. I think he should be dealing, but I don't trust his ability to pull off a good trade.
https://walkoffwalk.blogspot.com/?m=1
David Peterson for the Cubbies tonite, with his 6 ERA. We better score some runs. Otherwise, it'll be a very long nite.
"The New York Yankees were scouring “everywhere” in the trade market, zeroing in on right-handed catchers and offense in general, according to a source who spoke on condition of anonymity to describe ongoing deliberations.
The front office was active as the Yankees’ offense was just scraping by against the Chicago Cubs, ahead 2-0 in the ninth inning at Wrigley Field after solo home runs from Amed Rosario and Spencer Jones." -Brendan Kuty via The Athletic
Camilo Doval to the Pirates for two prospects. https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2026/08/yankees-trade-camilo-doval-pirates.html
OK, yesterday's game was a day game.
So, naturally today's game is at night?
MLB hates the fans.
Enshittefication
But they love TV revenue
I’m not at all against in moving someone like Doval for prospects.
Do they have the balls to do so with Volpe?
Anyway, the team will save a little bit of money on Doval’s contract.
Just saw that actually happened
Well, we don’t have Camillo Doval to kick around any more…
That's great news, Doval getting traded. He really needed a change of scenery. As I said before, he's actually good compared to a lot of terrible pitchers around baseball. We got a couple of prospects. I'm satisfied. Now we can bring up our best minor league pitchers.
Doval will probably pitch well for the Pirates. Their bullpen can use anyone with a pulse. Pirates, who are right around the .500 mark, think they're in the wild card race. They're probably delusional but it's good to aim high, right? We here of the pinstriped brand used to be that way. Aiming high, I mean.
Yardbarker has scouting reports on the two prospects we got. https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/pirates_to_acquire_camilo_doval/s1_13237_44126418
It seems the Yankees will be eating about 1.1 mil of the Doval's remaining salary. It had been rumored for a while that the Pirates wanted Doval. He might even become their closer.
Yardbarker also has this piece about the deal: https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/yankees_land_stunning_haul_in_early_trade_deadline_move/s1_17355_44126503
These days, somebody can blow out a fart and the sports writers call it "stunning". I don't know that I'd call this deal "stunning". Seems like it was a good move to get anything for Doval, but "a stunning haul"? I'm laughing my ass off.
I'm with you, Hammer. Yanks got a .239-hitting, Double-A catcher who is described as "rough around the edges" defensively. Cruz is an 18-year-old, "longshot prospect" in the Dominican Summer League.
That's actually a terrible haul. And the real story here is that the Yankees' coaches could not turn around a guy who throws 101 and induces a mountain of groundballs.
Post a Comment