CASEY AT THE TWEET
Tuesday, November 27, 2012
Posted by el duque at 9:14 PM
2. Over the last 20 years, he was consistently screwed out of being elected to the Hall of Fame by rigged committees of bitter owners and toadie sportswriters.
3. Joe Morgan once said, of Miller's exclusion from the Hall: "They should vote him in and then apologize for making him wait."
4. Before taking over the Players Union, he worked with the Machinists, the UAW and the Steelworkers.
5. In his first bargaining agreement in 1968, he increased the MLB minimum salary from a pitiful $6,000 to $10,000.
6. That was the first minimum salary increase in two decades.
7. He seized on the fact that Charlie Finley had welched on Catfish Hunter's contract, freeing him to sign with the Yankees.
8. He recognized that too many free agents at once would drive down the value of players; thus, he set up a system where only a few would hit free agency each year.
9. At the end, Miller grew fed up with the votes for Cooperstown. He said, "At the age of 91, I can do without farce."
10. He led his union through three strikes and two lockouts. The final record: 5-0.