Sunday, May 12, 2013

A Focus On Real Issues



I missed much of last night's game ( live ) because I was visiting with Carmit Zori, the violinist who came to the US at the age of 15 at the recommendation of Isaac Stern and Alexander Schneider.

She had just finished an amazing Allegro by Piazzolla when I moseyed up to tell her what I thought of her performance.

Turns out, she is a long-time Yankee fan ( she looks about 32 but, has a daughter in college, so....), and had already heard about the dust-up between Mariano and Joba.  More importantly, she wanted to talk about the upcoimg draft.

In her view, the Yankees should trade their three first round picks to earn the rights to draft Yaz's grandson ( and namesake ), Mike.  We are not certain he'll ever be any good, but the Yankees need him to rekindle the rivalry, and to maintain a certain " mystique of hate and envy " over the Red Socks.

We have to keep him away from Boston, even if that's all his acquisition ultimately means to the Yankees.  "It's not as if the Yankees will draft anyone any good, anyway, " she opined.  "So let's do the Ju-Ju thing!"  

I almost fell off my chair when she came out with that line.

I was just about to ask her whether she had read Duque's book on the subject, when some dude in bow tie and tails whisked her into a limo.

I do agree with her about the Yaz thing.

The strawberries at the reception were extraordinary.  I think Mattingly sent them from LA.



4 comments:

Ben Gurion said...

who does Susan Rotholz root for?

Joba Chamberlain, chagrined reliever said...

So, you're saying Duque ought to take violin lessons from Yaz's kid?

J. Lam said...

Then Boston will give their firstborns to draft Mo Jr. and Josh Pettitte in retaliation in the future.

joe de pastry said...

I guess she doesn't know you can't trade draft picks.