Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Questions abound over John's mysterious secondary call for David Adams' home run

Last night, as noted by comments in a previous post, John unveiled his individualized home run calls for David Adams. (Note: Nowadays, we have to refer to The Master's homer calls, because he does not limit them to one.) 

The starter:

DAVID IS GOLIATH.

And the closer:

CALL ME, ADAMS.

The first is self-explanatory, and as Mustang says earlier, it's good to see John getting back in tune with Judeo-Christian roots. But the second one still dogs me. Mustang contends it's from a Broadway show, referring to "Call me, Madam." I dunno. Mustang - despite his sterling record as blogger - is right about 25 percent of the time.

My more focused investigation has turned up these possibilities:

1. "You can call me Adams," an obscure MySpace photo site used by a teenager who, as a joke, pretends to be Ansel Adams.  ODDS: Unlikely.  John doesn't use a computer and has never to my knowledge commented about Ansel Adams or nature photography.

2. "They Call Me Adams," a rapper with 79 friends on MySpace. None is listed as John Sterling. However, the artist posts this cryptic note: Hey ima be at the Grand Opening of GOTHAM CITY FRIDAYS this friday night.. i heard its gonna be super crackin. You should come check it out :) invite all of ur friends.

3.  "Call Me Adams," a race horse. Not much more. But I think this is it.

4. Reference in Munsey's Magazine, Vol. 72: I couldn't look for the title of the story because - well - I just couldn't. But check out this passage:

"Don't call me Adams. That's just a flag."
"Flag?" I repeated, puzzled.
"Sure, an assumed name; an alias."



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Probably has something to do with this blog about Broadway musicals: http://www.callmeadam.com/

Anonymous said...

Or perhaps, a reference to the Beastie Boys' "No Sleep til Brooklyn":
Ain't seen the light since we started this band
So MCA get on the mic my man
Born and bred Brooklyn the USA
They call me Adam Yauch but I'm MCA
Like a lemon to a lime a lime to a lemon
I sip the def ale with all the fly women
Got limos arena the TV shows
Autograph pictures and classy hos
Step off homes get out of my way
Taxing little girlies form here to LA
Waking up before I get to sleep
Cause I'll be rocking this party eight days a week

Stang said...

Maybe it's "Call me Atom," a reference to scientist Ray Palmer. You'll recall that when Palmer discovered that a fragment of a White Dwarf star had fallen to earth, he resourcefully developed it into a size-and-weight control mechanism and fought crime as The Atom. This happened more than 50 years ago, so it falls well into John's reference timeframe.

KD said...

All I could think of is the old palindrome “Madam I’m Adam”.

Anonymous said...

First Anonymous: the problem with your theory is John Sterling has no idea what a blog is. No computer, remember? This guy isn't even on FM.

But... Surely whatever pun John attempted was the same same pun that Broadway blogger used... So I asked said blogger... His response:

"If this guy makes a lot of Broadway references, most likely he is playing off of the Broadway show "Call Me Madam."

Does this make it official?

Ah damn and they just fucking lost.

JM said...

Perhaps we're overlooking an obvious explanation that none of us wants to face. Perhaps the Great One has a secret attraction for this fine, strapping young player and was channeling the spirit of Blondie and Giorgio Moroder and the hit, "Call Me", and its unsavory associations to the naked imagery of Richard Gere's male love machine for hire.

"Call me Adam" may indeed be a direct expression of longing, the Master pleading with the object of his hidden affections to, indeed, give him a call.

Or, it could be, Suzyn came up with this one and gave it to our Fearless Leader as a way to express her longing surreptitiously. Doesn't she have clubhouse access which includes the shower room? A chance sighting may have inflamed her desire.

This Freudian stuff is tougher than it looks.