Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Time To Put On Our Wizard Hats

For today's class, we are going to predict Montgomery's pitching line.

As a matter of context, he has been the Yankee management's, " darling" of the season, forcing his way into the rotation with a consistent, sensational record in spring training games.  He is 24 ( soon to be 25 I think ), lefty and, per the Yankee brass, has unlimited potential.

Kansas City has talent, but they have been underperforming.  They need a win against the Yankees to begin a "turnaround" to their season  They are highly motivated to win.  They could taste victory yesterday, but it eluded them on Yankee home runs from somewhat unexpected sources.  So they are angry and committed.

Montgomery is " fresh meat."  They knocked him out of a game earlier.

So far, he has been " mediocre" at best.  His last two outings have been horrid.  And the length of the " darling string" is beginning to shrink.  If he is to justify Yankee evaluations of, and confidence in, his ability, he needs to throw a great game tonight.  Chad Greene is knocking on the door.

He needs seven solid innings; 6 K's no walks and one run.  And a Yankee win.  He needs to get a lead and hold it.  Shut the Royals down.  Period.

So, what do you all think is going to happen?

My sorcerer's hat predicts the following line:

1.  4.1 innings.
2.  97 pitches
3.   4 walks
4.  2 K's
5.  5 runs ( 4 earned )
6.  One 3 -run homer ( second or third inning ).

" Have a highball at nightfall....."

This poll closes at 7:10pm EST.  Vote soon and vote often.

14 comments:

DutchFan said...

1. 6 2/3
2. 103
3. 1 BB
4. 6 K's
5. 2 runs, 2 earned
6. 2 doubles
7. 1 HBP

Theeeeeee Yankees win 7-3

And I will probably be dozing through it all

Rufus T. Firefly said...

1. 5.2 innings.
2. 100 pitches
3. 3 walks
4. 4 K's
5. 4 runs (all earned)
6. One 2 -run homer (1st or 2nd inning).

el duque said...

7.1 shut out innings

Zeros.

Take it to the bank.

KD said...

I'm with Rufus on the numbers but I will add The Yankees win! THE YANKEES WIN!!

Leinstery said...

Does Vegas accept bets on a pitcher's line like this, if so I would take Alphonso's predictions and bet big.

Duque, are you using black magic and using it to get that stat line? Did you hit your head or have a minor stroke? Either way I'm worried for you, black magic and strokes are nothing to fuck with.

Lastly, Suzyn was crying on the air a little bit. Hope week and God Save the Queen really hit her hard. Let's all hope our sweet Suzyn is alright.

Anonymous said...

THE GAME IS OVER, AND WE LOST IN THE USUAL CRUSHING FORM.... BUT I STILL CAN'T UNDERSTAND THE GREATLY RESPECTED NEGATIVE VIEW ON MONTGOMERY BY ALPHONSO..... OUT OF ABOUT 8 STARTS THIS KID HAS HAD, HE HAS BEEN GOOD TO GREAT IN ALMOST EVERY ONE (EXCEPT THE LAST 2 GAMES BEFORE TONIGHT).......IN THIS GAME, HE WAS GREAT, (AND WE DIDN'T HIT FOR HIM AGAIN)... IF GIRARDI WOULD HAVE LEFT HIM IN A LITTLE LONGER, MAYBE WE WIN THIS GAME........ JORDAN MONTGOMERY HAS ACTUALLY BEEN THE GLUE THAT IS KEEPING THIS RAZOR THIN ROTATION TOGETHER..... HE KEEPS KEEPING US IN THE GAME, AND HAS GIVEN US ABOUT 6 QUALITY STARTS IN 8 GAMES..... I'LL TAKE IT.... WE ALL SHOULD.

I'm Bill White said...

Great vignette last night about John, Suz, and Nettles spending time in Syracuse.

Stang said...

Missed it, I'm Bill White. Can you encapsulate?

Alphonso said...

ALL CAPS ; I am playing the negative Ju-Ju card, so that he will, in fact, become our next Andy Pettitte.

Now that you have made me " fess up, " however, I fear the Ju-Ju may not hold.

We'll see.

Anonymous said...

OK, OK...I SEE...

I'm Bill White said...

John recalled a speaking engagement in the Salt City "some years ago", accompanied by Suz and Graig Nettles. Nettles made a good point about the game of baseball that John thought relevant to last night's game, but I have since forgotten it. It was a very good point, though, and isn't funny how baseball is always repeating itself. I tried to triangulate Graig's appearance with John and Suz's offseason/ hot stove schedule, but I'm not having much luck. What I can tell you is that Graig Nettles appeared at the 2012 New York State Fair on August 30th of that year, from 2 to 4 pm. I bet he stayed longer because, by all accounts, it was a pleasant day with a high of 82 degrees under sunny skies and with low humidity. What I don't know is whether John and Suz stopped by good old State Fair Boulevard that day. I just don't know. I'd hoped that a little digging would uncover that the trio were in town together when John and Suz were elected to the NYS Broadcasters Association Hall of Fame, but we all know that took place in 2016. If someone reading this post knows anything, I mean ANYTHING, about when Graig Nettles, John Sterling, and Suzyn Waldman appeared together in Syracuse, please respond. No lead is too small. This is important. Thank you.

I'm Bill White said...

I cannot stress enough how important this is. Please, stop what you are doing, use the Internet browser of your choice, and help me--help America--find out when John, Suz, and Graig were in Syracuse together. Thank you.

I'm Bill White said...

I am literally a Brett Gardner throw away from the White House today, but all I can think about is Nettles-Sterling-Waldman-Syracuse. It's that important.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.