Wednesday, May 20, 2009

An Update From the Safe House

Some of you know that I spent the last week in a "safe house" in Milwaukee.

I did get out to Buck Bradley's on 3rd street late at night for a brat basket and drafts of Milwaukee's finest lagers.

The bar is 50 yards long and I was one of three people there, watching baseball classics from the 1970's.

There is no real news in Milwaukee, unless you buy the local paper in West Allis, Wisconsin and want to read about a lost cow on highway 14.

I did learn that Midwest Airlines is the official airline of the Brewers. That helped get me through the week.

So what do I feel about the Yankees, now that I am back in civilization and the season is pretty much at the All star break?

1. Be afraid, folks. Be very afraid. I am starting to enjoy watching this team play.

2. I am seeing a mix of superstars, up and coming stars and young surprises teaming up to remind me of the 1996 team.

3. The biggest news from last night's 9-1 game was the appearance and performance of Mr. Bruney. He is still rusty but threw strikes and kept the Baltimore hitters totally off-balance. What a change for us.

4. I'm still pissed, by the way, that the Yankee brass cares more about defending their decision to make Joba a starter than they do about winning the WS this year. Joba should be our set-up guy. Then, with Bruney, the game is over after 6 innings if we have lead ( or if we are not behind by 24 runs ).

5. Pena and Cervelli came out of nowhere to deliver great contibutions and give us reason to hope for the long term. And if AJ develops, our minor league failed system will have produced a future catcher, SS and CF. Who knew?

6. I can't figure out what is wrong with Hughes. He has never looked as good as he did in that game 2 years ago against the Rangers ( no-hitter working ), before he left with an injury. Good for Phil that he would be willing to move to the pen, if that is what's needed.

7. I am worried that Chin Ming won't be what he was. But if I had confidence, it wouldn't be me.

I'm staying in America as long as the winning streak stays alive.

I'll be one day late and a dollar short from seeing Scranton play up in Syracuse this weekend.

Bummer.

2 comments:

Stang said...

There is someone on this blog who thinks Joba should remain a starter. Fonz, when you're in Syracuse, do not go to his house. When he invites you, make some excuse, then call me. We'll go to Shifty's.

Alph said...

That someone doesn't know baseball.