Thursday, August 8, 2013

Is It Over Yet?


When MO came in last night to protect the 4-3 lead, I wondered if it might be the last legitimate appearance of this great Yankee.

I mean, we aren't likely to get many more true save moments in 2013.  I know, they will drag him out at the stadium as the season winds down, even if we are down 8-1 in the eighth, just so people can see him one last time, and applaud him for all he has done.

Without him, as we all know, many of the WS wins from 1996 to date don't happen.

But reality is taking hold, much as I both predicted and feared.

Derek's body just isn't holding up to the rigors of shortstop in August.  We have low expectations for A-rod, other than the distraction he brings.  I think he is doing the right thing, by the way.  If he accepted the suspension, as did the others named, he would not see a diamond until 2015, by which time ( with no playing in between) he'd have no abilities left.

These games are his last hurrah.   His last chance to break 700 homers.

Overbay, Wells, Soriano and assorted others, are on one year deals, and will be retired next season.  Andy Pettitte is a shell of himself and Kuroda is our best pitcher at 38.

Pineda and Banuelos will never pitch for us.  Hughes just seems better at short relief.  Bettances must be wilting, again, because we never hear of him in his new role.

Andy Brackman is playing basketball in europe, and that lefty who impressed a while back ( Nuno, Vuno? ) is out for the season with a groin pull.  Who ever heard of a season lost to such?

Almonte will be on the bus , maybe, in September from Scranton.  A solid .250 hitter who plays decent defense.

That is pretty much it.  Romine is having better at bats.  Stewart would be great if he was our back-up catcher.

I hope this season ends soon.  I hate watching the faces of former greats, trying to remain young.

That's why I prefer drinking in bars with no mirrors.

5 comments:

joe de pastry said...

My season ended last night.
Instead of watching the predictably awful Yankees I'm going to read some good books for the next couple of months.

JM said...

Yeah, Joe, even my strange attachment to Ichiro can't hold me to the tube for these games. It's just too painful.

Did you read that book about the '64 season? Cards and Yanks, called 'October '64' by David Halberstam. That was pretty good.

I'm reading this one now called 'Hubert's Freaks: The Rare-Book Dealer, the Times Square Talker, and the Lost Photos of Diane Arbus' by Gregory Gibson. It's pretty good. No baseball in it, though.

By the way, even though Robert B. Parker is dead, they've hired new writers to carry on his series. They're not bad, either. The latest Spencer was worth the paperback money, although the ending was kind of a meh.

joe de pastry said...

Hey, John M., despite your irrational Suzuki fetish, I think you are an interesting guy.
I'm actually re-reading Nicholas Nickleby. I might get through all of the rest of Dickens before the 2014 season.
jdp
P.S. You did say that you thought OBP is a useful stat, so FYI:
Suzuki 2013 .313
Swisher 2013 .344
Granderson 2013 .333; 2012 .319

el duque said...

Here's a thought:

Sometime in September, when there will be good seats open for Yankee games (unless they are honoring Mo), we should organize an IIH outing at a game. Alphonso should host it, because it's on his turf. Anybody in?

Chicken Stanley said...

Duque,
I'm obviously more of a lurker than a commenter, but I'd definitely sign up for a IIH outing.