Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Score 10 and lose? That's what last place teams do, and the Yankees are tied for last

I can't lie. Down by nine in the eighth, I aborted the mission. I ran and cowered in my bed. As a result, I missed the valiant comeback by this never-say-die veteran team. (Did you know Aaron Hicks, with two singles, raised his average to .213? And Headley is now sitting at .246; there is still time for the All-Star vote!) We scored 10 runs and still - somehow - managed to lose.

So continue the last somber beeps on the 2016 Yankee life-support machine. Soon, it will be over, the plug pulled, the damage done, with excuses flowing like sweat rivulets on Trump's orange forehead. Between now and July, we were supposed to feast on the Rockies and terrible Twins - climb above .500 and beat our chests, before hitting actual contenders. So what happens? We score 10 runs and lose.

Beltran's tweaked his knee while sleeping. Ike Davis is our 1B. Eovaldi - who showed so much promise - has now thrown three straight clunkers. Pineda and Nova should be a roller coaster ride at Disney. Refsnyder - who might have been a valuable 2B - now is languishing at 1B, where he absolutely no future. Fans can't even print out their tickets at home. Soon, CC will pull something, and from then on, we'll be a team of background singers to A-Rod's career HR quest, which nobody gives a flying shit about, anyway. We've been lamenting how the Mets own NYC. Good grief, the Yankees are in third, below Hal's soccer club, and they're about to dip below the Rangers and Knicks, who are more out of season than sugar beets.

Soon, the YES propaganda mill will start churning crapola about the "jewels" of our farm system. We've been hearing it for 10 years. Nothing happens. We score 10 and lose. Damn, this franchise is wretched.

8 comments:

JM said...

Not to beat a dead horse (which you will never find in Boar's Head meats), but we once again don't have a bullpen beyond our closers. And even they aren't as invincible as they're touted to be.

At least we got a blank inning out of Goody. If only his first name was Sam...

Anonymous said...

FUCK THIS......BRING UP JUDGE!...BRING UP SANCHEZ!....KEEP PLAYING THEM!...FUCK THIS!........THERE'S NOTHING ELSE!!!!

Anonymous said...

DFA Cashman and Girardi.....PLEASE!!! Bring up Judge, Sanchez and Gamel......Get rid of McCann, Gardner and Castro (before he starts pouting as he did in Chicago)

KD said...

I agree with ALL CAPS anonymous. there really is no downside. The games may even be more interesting.

Who else is tired of Joe G? I really miss when baseball was a much more colorful sport...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6cmqUTPn08

manx said...

Greetings from high in the Colorado Rockies where yours truly is riding the RTD light rail to Coors Field where i plan on drinking a few Dale's Pale Ales while I watch the same crap as last night. What does it matter neither one of these teams can keep a decent consistency in their win streaks. Their seasons are basically over. #vivala1966

manx said...

PS sadly i forgot to make my "John Sterling is my idol" and my "I wish the Rockies joined the American League and not the Asstros" signs so you probably won't see me on YES or ROOT.

Anonymous said...

YES, (LOWER CASE ANONYMOUS) YOU'RE RIGHT..... BRING UP BEN GAMEL TOO!....HE IS HOT, AND HAS BEEN HOT FOR A WHILE!!!

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.