Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Yikes. That hurt.



I was there.  Sipping on a Jack and Coke ( not diet ), and toking on some vapor.  I don't recall the herb.

What I watched seemed like a dream.  I sensed I was back in 1996.

The hard truth is:  I did not want that to happen.  I wanted the Yankees to do what they are supposed to do when they trail by as much as 7-1.  Why?  Because now all the tables turn for a day;  " We are back in it!" ( Hal).  " This is the Yankee team I think we can be "( Joe ).  "We'll be buyers, for sure, if we keep this up" ( Brian ).

It is all wrong.  The further down we go, the better ownership might be able to see.  Truthfully, it is the only way they will be able to see.  A car , wrapped around a tree, is unmistakeable.  A car sitting in neutral, in a dilapidated parking space, is harder to read.

"This is a team in need of re-building.  This is a team that is ugly and boring to watch.  Totally uninteresting.  There is practically no one to root for.  The team is old and slow, never uses its young prospects until they are, " still only 26 after 12 years at Scranton," and whose high bar of ambition is a one game play-in, where they will fail to score."  (Alphonso).

I admit it.  I wanted the Yankees to lose.  To go down 7-1 or, at best, 7-3.  When McCann gimped around first base, I thought he might be done.  But it was nothing.  He came back.  He is today's hero, along with DIDI.  And I experienced all of this as, " disappointment and fear."

So we accomplished the impossible.  We earned a surprising one game win streak.  The kind of streak that locks in a .500 record.

Let's go down today.  Let's get stomped and buried.  Lose so badly that no question marks are left at the margin.

Otherwise, Joe, Hal and Brian will all feel "good" about themselves, and what they are doing to keep this franchise great ( translation:  non-competitive and mediocre).

We can't leave them such a choice.  The numbers have to flush them all down the toilet.

That may turn out to be a comeback victory we shall all rue for a decade.

I need a drink.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

JACK DANIELS HAS A JACK "FIRE" NOW...IT TASTES LIKE THAT "FIREBALL" CINNAMON SHIT THE KIDS ARE DRINKING TODAY..... NOT BAD THOUGH, I GOTTA SAY...... ANYWAY, THIS TEAM IS GOING TO HAVE ALL OF US IN A STRAIGHT JACKET BY THE ALL STAR BREAK.....I HAD THE TV ON THE WHOLE GAME, TOTALLY DEPRESSED AGAIN, GRABBING MY MET COLLAPSE SATISFACTION ON AND OFF THROUGHOUT THE NIGHT...THE COMEBACK WAS PHENOMENAL...PURE MAGIC FROM AN ERA GONE BY....BUT HERE'S THE CRAZY PART....WHEN BRIAN MCCANN HIT HIS 2ND HOMER OF THE NIGHT, HE GRABBED HIS LEG ROUNDING 1ST BASE, AS HE GRABBED FOR THE LEG, I BECAME OVERJOYED!.....MY FIRST THOUGHT WAS, GREAT!...NOW WE GET TO SEE GARY SANCHEZ!!!....HOW SICK IN THE MIND IS THIS TEAM MAKING ME?..... I AM ROOTING FOR ONE OF OUR PLAYERS, WHO HIT 2 HOMERS IN THE SAME GAME, TO BE HURT!!! THEN AFTERWARD, I REALIZED, HOW RIDICULOUS THAT WAS!... WHY?.... BECAUSE WHY WOULD WE PLAY GARY SANCHEZ IF MCCANN IS HURT, WHEN WE HAVE THE STOUT TALENTS OF AUSTIN ROMINE????.... OF COURSE...WHY WOULD WE DO THE BEST THING FOR OUR TEAM, AND OUR FUTURE?.....HOW SILLY OF ME.......BY THE WAY, ROB REFSNYDER, DID THE LITTLE THINGS AGAIN THAT WIN BALLGAMES...HE WALKED, HE STOLE SECOND, HE GOT A BASE HIT TO START THE WINNING RALLY IN THE 9TH INNING.....THE GUY IS A GOOD BALLPLAYER.... MY FAVORITE PART OF LAST NIGHT'S GAME WAS WATCHING REFSNYDER JUMPING UP AND DOWN WITH THE PILE OF GUYS AFTER DIDI'S HOMER......

JM said...

I'm in shock and awe. If only we had a team that could do this consistently...then, I'd be happy.

joe de pastry said...

Right on!
I spent most of the evening enjoying watching the Mets get swept by Washington and wondering why Montreal would trade my favorite hockey player, P.K. Subban.
I did watch the amazing 9th inning comeback, but I didn't celebrate it by jumping off the couch screaming and clapping. I cannot root against the Yankees, but I cannot enjoy their pursuit of .500 either. I fear that every win delays the realization that what they need to do is trade two of the star relievers, Beltran, Gardner, and McCann. Nothing against those guys, but we have no shot at a championship in the near future if we don't trade for young players and make a couple prudent free agent signings during the next two off-seasons.
I cannot even enjoy Yankee victories anymore, unless they are against the Red Sux or Mets.

Anonymous said...

SPOKEN PERFECTLY JOE....

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.