Sunday, September 8, 2019

Hub fans bid kids adieu

Let's get one thing straight, Suzyn: You cannot predict baseball.

Nope. You simply can't. It's like when Burt Reynolds co-hosted on the Mike Douglass Show... anything could happen. Sally Fields might pop out unannounced, or Burt on a dare might fling off his shirt, prompting Mike to do the same. These poor millennials, they have nothing that compares to the daytime television of 1970. 

And that's baseball, Suzyn. Unpredictable. And on that note, I'm not predicting that Boston's 2019 season is over. Nope. The Redsocks could start drinking shots before each game, win 15 straight, bypass Oakland in a whoosh and vault back into the Wild Card mix.

But Suzyn, they're screwed...  

Last night, we got 'em. We got 'em good. We stuck it in. We turned the blade. We shut their big fat "Yankees suck!" pie-holes, and we sent them Ubering home thinking about Tom Brady and the start of pre-season hockey. They know the deal. They've watched their team die in slow motion, in time-lapse photography, over 140 sad and ugly games, and last night, we got 'em good.

While I have you, Suzyn, I'd like to say a few words about Mr. Edwin Elpidio Encarnacion.

Let's start by saying I was wrong: In the beginning, when the Yankees obtained the man The Master calls "Eddie," I lashed out crazily over the dissing of Clint Frazier, whom I felt was being undermined by a strange whisper campaign within the Yankee organization, because of an arrogance that - in many cases -  comes with the job. Enough of that. Frazier needs to learn how to run down fly balls, and sometimes, I wonder if he ever will. But Encarnacion has been a joy, with a calming influence on the teamd. 

He came to the Yankees with no illusions about playing time or his reputation. His nickname was "E5," though it's now "the Parrot." In fact, stuffed bird that his teammates purchased, and now brandish whenever he comes through, testifies to his standing within the clubhouse, not only as a player, but as a person. Earlier this week, he and Gary Sanchez visited the recovering David Ortiz, and the picture of Encarnacion and Big Papi was all that smug Redsock fans had to see to know that their time in the wheelhouse is coming to an end. If there is an heir apparent to Ortiz, it is the Parrot. And if to Pedro Martinez, it is Luis Severino. And if to Pedroia, it is Gleyber. (Or maybe Gardy. Or maybe LeMahieu.)  

Last night, the Parrot led the Yankees to the latest "biggest win of the season." I hereby nominate him for a Nobel Peace Prize. It's been 10 years, but at least today, the Yankees wake up with the true advantage in the rivalry. You can't predict baseball, Suzyn. But you can appreciate what has happened. Last night, we got 'em. We got 'em good.

11 comments:

Joe Formerlyof Brooklyn said...

Possible minor correction: The H.A. to Pedro is Deivi.

Or so it says here --

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27238164/the-next-pedro-martinez-yankees-deivi-garcia-inspires-visions-hall-famer

Rufus T. Firefly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rufus T. Firefly said...

Duque,

You missed the biggest story of the day. Jay Buhner led KC to victory yesterday.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/recap?gameId=401076864

They go for the sweep today.

JM said...

We're going to regret the McBroom debacle. Bird is gone, Voit is hurt, Ford comes down to earth, and what have we got? DJ? Yes, sure, but that means we can't use him at second or third. Eddie? Well, OK, sure, but he's no spring chicken.

Could've used McBroom, maybe next year. How many years until he's a free agent?

I know, I know. I should just enjoy this season while it lasts...

ranger_lp said...

RailRiders could have used McBroom because SWB got McBroomed.

TheWinWarblist said...

ESPN game tonight. It'll be sound off and The Master and His Mistress tonight.

Rufus T. Firefly said...

I will have my Hawaiian shirt on behind the dugout -- as long as it's warmer than 40 degrees. I will be one of thousands wearing a yankee hat. I predict more Yankee than Carmine fans.

Anonymous said...

An interesting note from yesterdays YES Broadcast.

Cone was saying that Happ has gone back to the way he used to pitch when he was successful. If I'm not mistaken this is the reason for Paxton's resurgence (and if I'm further not mistaken, why Sonny Gray is pitching well now.)

So basically, the Yankees tried a data driven approach to pitching as opposed to how the pitcher pitches best (You can blame Rothschild here or the front office that gave him the directive. It doesn't matter) and the pitchers are rejecting it and doing better.

This is not a dig at metrics. But it is interesting. Maybe it doesn't work as well for pitching. (as opposed to fielder placement - etc.) Pitching always seemed like a feel thing.

A couple of days ago they were talking about Mussina making up a pitch on the spot because his other stuff wasn't working. Data would never "think" to do that.

Just sayin'

Doug K.

Anonymous said...

JM,

I think some of these trades are 40 man roster based. Tanking teams are showing a willingness to keep Rule 5 guys even though they are not ready for their 25 man roster. Particularly pitchers. (who can always be last man out of the bullpen)

Consequently the Yankees are forced to protect people lower in the system then they've had to before. So the 40 man spots become more precious. I'm not 100% on this by the way but it's either something I read or just concluded on my own.

If what I wrote is true, we probably will have to add a couple of AA starters to the 40 to protect them. This is yet another pernicious domino effect of the Els debacle.

They need to cut him after the season and get that spot back.

Also, as much as I defend 1B as a skill position there's always a 1B floating around somewhere. This year it was EE. (and at 20M in 2020 he's not coming back. Well, not at that price) Next year someone else.

Doug K.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Yes, if necessary we can put El Matador there, much as I hate to waste his arm.

Also, maybe, um, um...who was that guy we got from Miami again?

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.