Wednesday, September 18, 2019

There is no "I" in "Team"

Well, that was thrilling, wasn't it?

A breath of October in the air, a chance to both (officially) clinch the division AND win 100 games, the return of Giancarlo, and our old warhorse, CC Sabathia, on the mound.

Uh-oh.

All the good vibes melted away tonight as CC turned in what has become very much his usual start: 2 1/3 innings, 4 hits, 2 walks, 2 earned runs, and a very quick hook before the game got completely out of hand.

Par for the course.  This year, CC has not managed to average 5 innings a start.  He has become an "opener" without meaning to.

Nonetheless, he got a good hand from the Bronx faithful, and Michael Kay praised him to the skies:  "Eleven terrific years!  Surely on the best free agent purchases the New York Yankees ever made!  Tied for fourth in postseasons wins in franchise history!"

Stop it.

Eleven terrific years?  More like 4 terrific years (2009-2012), two pretty good ones (2017-2018), and one that was all right (2016).  Overall, CC has averaged just over 12 wins a season for your New York Yankees.  In the 6 seasons starting with 2014, he has averaged 6 1/2.

Tied for fourth in postseason wins?  Is there a smarmier statistic?

Yes, he has 8 of them.  Zero in the World Series, which ties him with Mike Kekich, Bill Burbach, and Ross Ohlendorf.  Lifetime, he has a 4.31 ERA in October, compared to 3.73 in the regular season.

One of the Yanks' best free agent signings?  Yes—and no.  The first time was great.  The second was an unmitigated disaster, $23 million a year to pitch worse than any of the numerous alternatives the Yanks might have entertained.

Look, I have to admit:  I like CC, too.  What's not to like?  He was (one of the) guys responsible for what is our only ring of this brave new century and promises to be so for the foreseeable future.

And in return, we made him one of the richest people in the history of the world.

As a New York Yankee, CC Sabathia has made around $225 million.  If he has had any kind of decent financial advice, he's now a billionaire.

Well, good on him.  And what has he given us in return?

Certainly not what you would think would be the minimum for a professional athlete, which would be some sense of obligation to get into some kind of physical and emotional shape.  Instead, he hit upon the strategy of barking at people when they dared to bunt on him because he was too fat and hobbled to field his position.

And what an inspiring season this one was for CC, huh?  As the team battled magnificently to overcome one injury after another, CC set his sites on clearing those statistics that would help get him into Cooperstown.

It's not that he's a drag on the team.  He's worse.  For years now, CC has served as a convenient rationale for why the Yankees could not afford to get the pitching it needed to win—and the rationale for why HAL tells himself he can never risk a big money contract like that again.

I know, I know.  They offered the money.  You won't catch me turning down any $23-million-a-year contracts.

But I can't help thinking about how DiMaggio—then the highest paid player in the game—walked away from another year after he had his worst season in the bigs, but primarily because a Dodgers scouting report was leaked detailing all the ways in which he had declined.

Joe walked away rather than embarrass himself, and that was even after he'd had a World Series in which he drove in 5 runs in as many games.  CC, by contrast, won't throw a significant pitch in this postseason, no matter what happens.  But he's still along for the ride.

Well, we can't all be Joe DiMaggio.  But here we are again, with another CC farewell sucking all the air out of the room and I have to say I'm glad it's the last one.

There may not be an "I" in "team," but there sure is one in Sabathia.














8 comments:

Unknown said...

Jesus, man...

Der Kaiser said...

I thoroughly agree with the sentiment. CC has been a great Yankee, and we'll always have 2009. But his late career has been ugly, and I would venture to say, uglier than most.

It should be remembered that, after years of people grousing about his weight, he did in fact slim down - promptly lost his fastball. He certainly demonstrated that he had the discipline to get himself into shape, but not to learn how to pitch with his new shape. It was very gratifying when he finally seemed to get his groove back in the past couple of years - perhaps thanks to his returning body mass.

And I wouldn't be too sure that he won't be throwing any meaningful pitches in the postseason. By the time October rolls around he may be the only starter who can hobble out to the mound. And who else is Booney going to bat third?

JM said...

I see you've come around to my way of thinking, down to the Joe D comparison, or maybe you always shared it. Not long ago, when I posted about CC being a completely selfish, albeit lovable, player especially this year, I got some shit for it, as expected. As I recall, Hoss, we really only disagreed about lumping Jeter's last year together with CC's, but that's neither here nor there.

The plain fact is, CC should have retired last year, or maybe the year before. He may be a clubhouse leader and a fiery competitor, which is great. Hire him as a coach. We happen to need one for pitching. But between his weight, his knee--doubtless, a product of his weight--and his supposed and suddenly needed alcoholism rehab during the postseason...I mean, the guy has had some real flashes of brilliance, yes, but it's been downhill for too long now. And this year, he's just kind of sad. When Girardi was still here, my standard expectation for a CC start was 5 runs in 5 innings, because Joe would not take CC out until he gave up 5. When Boone came in, that basically continued. More or less.

I also concede der Kaiser's point that slimming down seemed to screw CC up. Talk about head cases.

Bringing CC in during the postseason for an inning might be a great idea. But one at the most. He just can't do much beyond that.

JM said...

And before anyone says it, yes, I am questioning whether or not CC's alcoholism was really alcoholism, or if it was something else. Maybe painkiller addiction...I don't know. Might have been alcoholism, I mean, why would you claim that if it wasn't true?

Unless something else was going on that would've damaged his image. The alcoholism didn't.

I know, I'm being too suspicious, maybe. But that whole episode was incredibly fishy to me.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Amen, JM. (Hey, that almost rhymes!) And while we disagree about Jeter, his overlong goodbye was 1 year—not 7—and it did not preclude us getting some key replacement at short.

Unknown, I'm sorry you feel this is harsh.

But try doing this at work tomorrow: Go into your boss and say, "Boss, even though what you are paying me is one of the most lucrative salaries in the business, my desire to eat and drink to excess means I will miss a lot of days at work from now on, and perform pretty badly most of the time that I am here. But hey, I'm really rooting for our company! All right, gotta go now and get back to eating and drinking too much."

Alphonso said...

Hoss....

I happen to think this was brilliant.

And there is a "t" in brilliant.

Yankee Daddy Roger said...

This expresses perfectly my feelings about this excessive veneration of CC. Twice in recent memory, we went down having to rely on CC in an ultimate or penultimate game, and twice we were eliminated from the postseason.

Last night a rookie fighting to stay a big leaguer bunted on CC and easily reached base. Do we not think a hungry NL or AL team competing for the World Series championship might not take the base when it's important?

How great an influence on our pitching staff has CC been? On Tanaka? On Happ? On Paxton? Who? Betances? Has he been counseling German all along, because brother, there's a dude who apparently needed counseling. Seriously, who? Great Clubhouse guy when he's wearing a goofy wig and performing in a broadway show while HE'S ON THE DL? A man who says he only returned this year because he figured the Yankees would be good? So he could enjoy the ride to the World Series? And what has he contributed to that ride? Fitting on a game where we could clinch, he spit the bit.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.