Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Credit where credit is due: A Cashman trade pays off in Chad Green

Last winter, when the Yankees inexplicably peddled 28-year-old Justin Wilson to the Tigers for two Triple A roster grunts, it looked as though Brian Cashman was quietly applying an undersized condom to 2016. (Bad image, but don't stop me.) Wilson had been our human seventh inning, our bullpen bridge to Dellin - 74 games with a 3.10 ERA. Back then, the Yankees never traded somebodies for nobodies.

The nobodies were Luis Cessa and Chad Green, and today, I wouldn't trade either for Wilson, who has struggled in Detroit. He's thrown 47 innings in 48 games, but with an ERA of 4.53. (Case in point: it's higher than either Nick Goody or Chasen Shreve.) 

Green last night - as you know - threw six shutout innings, winning one of those otherwise dreadful nights when the Yankee lineup only produces one run. He reduced his ERA to 4.05. (Cessa's is 5.30.) As a result, we get one more day to pretend it's not too late for this team.

It's hard not to like what's happening. It's so energizing to be bringing up prospects, as opposed to shipping them out for dinosaurs. Let's hope it opens Hal Steinbrenner's eyes, because it might be a historical turning point for this franchise. (Remember a few weeks ago, when we prayed for the Yankees to fall apart in Tampa, and we were swept? That still might be the most important weekend of the Yankee decade.) The Yankees have baseball's most knowledgeable fan base. We watch box scores in Trenton, Scranton, Tampa and Charleston - (Aw, hell, I admit it: I even check out the Dominican Summer League, how stupid is that?) Other teams have fans who know there was somebody named "A-Rod." Yankee fans don't want one game Wild Card post-seasons. We want dynasties - three championships over five years. We will accept trading big names for nobodies, as long as we get younger. Frankly, there is no reason why we can't have miniature selloffs every season - more Justin Wilson for Green/Cessa trades - in winter and at the deadline.

(BTW, that's how the New England Patriots have stayed atop the NFL: They constantly trade old stars for high draft picks - also, they cheat whenever possible.)

It's all about the farm. Right now, we're on a crazy little talent binge, and let's face it - Aaron Judge, Gary Sanchez and Tyler Austin may go once-around-the-league and disappear. I've laid down farts that lasted longer than the careers of some Yankee kids (Melky Mesa, Zolio Almonte.) Still, I'll take any of them over another Alphonso Soriano.

Last month, the Redsocks traded for Drew Pomeranz, San Diego's all-star pitcher. In the NL, he was 8-7 with an ERA of 2.47. With Boston, he's 1-2 and 4.59. Supposedly, they gave up their best young pitcher, a kid they were comparing to Pedro, for a shot at the Wild Card.

Maybe it'll still work. But frankly, I hope we never make another deal like that again. It's time to grow our own, and to accept the fact that you sow what you reap. Somebody for nobody? Sold. Let's keep the deals coming.

And LET'S MOON BIG PAPI.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AGREED......I WAS A BIG WHINER ABOUT THIS TRADE....BUT CASHMAN LOOKS LIKE HE PULLED OFF A WINNER FOR A CHANGE.....ALSO, LET CONTINUE TO BE FAIR, THE DIDI TRADE, SO FAR, IS ANOTHER BIG WINNER FOR US......BUT LET'S NOT FORGET ABOUT THE LONG DIRTY LAUNDRY LIST HE HAS ACCUMULATED OVER THE YEARS...A LIST I DON'T HAVE TIME TO WRITE RIGHT NOW.

JM said...

I was skeptical about Didi. I mean, his name is Didi, for Pete's sake. But now, I think he's the second coming of Jeter--no, check that--he's BETTER than Jeter, although he has still to be tested in clutch playoff situations. And I hated getting rid of Wilson--and Warren, too--but I've liked Green since his first call up, and hey, we got Warren back, so all is well again.

There's some mention in the media that the Yankees' brass denied they were giving up by dealing Miller, Beltran, and Chappie, and while I think they were lying through their teeth, it may just turn out that way. We're 5.5 games out of the division, and the silly little fanatasy I had three weeks or so ago doesn't seem so silly now.

Yep, I've been sucked in yet again.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.