Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Thursday, November 22, 2018

Many Of You Don"t Know " Voodoo."


I spent some time, during my graduate study years, in Haiti...interviewing, " les sorcières docteurs," or witch doctors for those of you who refuse to learn Haitian.

One of the certainties which ( like witch...only not ) stuck with me is;

"Coincidences don't lie."

I woke up this morning in a cold sweat.  It was supposed to be raining in Los Angeles.  But I knew that to be a lie.

What, then, was haunting me?

" Coincidences don't lie !"

I went to may chalkboard and wrote out the name; P-A-X-T-O-N.

Then I wrote out the name : P-A-V-A-N-O.

Look at the similarities:

1.  The first two letters of these names are identical.

2.  Each has a " forbidden letter;"  one has the "X" and one has the "V."

3.  The final two letters ( gasp ) are the inversion of one another.

4.  The one neutral element is a "T" in the first name, and an extra "A" in the second.

5.  Each name has SIX letters!

I can only assume that Cashman knew no Haitian when he made this deal.

We have acquired another Carl Pavano.

The chicken feathers, held over the candle, glowed reddish brown.

The color of doom.

9 comments:

TheWinWarblist said...

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck ...

Anonymous said...

Who needs cybermetrics and all that other statistical nonsense when we have incredibly useful analysis like this!!!!

JM said...

I agree, Anon. Haitian voodoo, despite its depiction in 1930s movies, Ed Wood movies, and a Wes Craven flick or two, is a useful analytic device when applied to baseball. None of those films show it, of course, since Hollywood types are more interested in the gruesome, the disturbing, and the frightening aspects.

Although thinking back over the past season, I'm wondering if voodoo didn't somehow play a big role in the Yankees' fortunes. 2018 was certainly gruesome, disturbing, and frightening. And it seems to continue...

Local Bargain Jerk said...

Paxton also ends with the same three letters that start "Ton Ton Macoutes".

We're doomed.

Anonymous said...

HORRIFYING.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Hilarious, Alphonso!

John M.: Val Lewton's "I Walked With a Zombie" (1943)—best voodoo movie ever? Wonderfully atmospheric, well-directed.

JM said...

Hoss, I do believe you're right. That was a classic.

Anonymous said...

And Canada and Connecticut both start with a C ?!?!?!?!

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.