Wednesday, November 11, 2020

“When I really thought about this, I could make millions of people happy, and what an incredible opportunity that is. That’s how I’m thinking about this. I’m not trying to make money here. I have my business at Point 72 and I make money over there. So here, it’s really about building something great, building something for the fans, winning. I just find this an amazing opportunity.”

On first glance, at least in his own telling, new Mets owner Steve Cohen appears to be the polar opposite of "Halligator Arms" Hal Steinbrenner.  

Cuttings from yesterday's Gammonitic gaggle between Cohen and Sandy Alderson, the new Mets GM, should shudder the spines of every Yank fan. There's a new sheriff in town. Said Cohen:

“Only one team wins the World Series every year, so that’s a pretty high bar. But if I don’t win a World Series in the next three to five years — I’d like to make it sooner — then obviously I would consider that slightly disappointing.”

Three to five years? In Yankee time, that's El Chapo's original contract. Cohen intends to win a ring. Meanwhile, Food Stamps Hal chews his old, convenient chestnut about "the Yankees contending every season," a strategy that last worked in 2009. 

Cohen implicitly was suggesting a Mets lineup with the likes of DJ LeMahieu, Trevor Bauer and/or JT Realmuto... this, while Hal's wonks comb their algorithms for cheap pitchers and yet another coach to psychoanalyze Gary Sanchez. 

Okay, breathe deeply. Let's not jump off the bridge. New owners love to talk up their one superpower: Money, which makes them an authority on everything. Let's see how confidently Cohen chirps after he's two Bobby Bonillas into the job.  

You can argue that, in the end, the Mets will still be the Mets. Still, when hearing promises like this, you can feel New York tilting orange. And, really, when has Hal talked about avoiding mediocrity? All we hear is his need to avoid luxury taxes. Can you imagine Hal saying this?  

“I’m not in this to be mediocre. That’s just not my thing. I want something great, and I know the fans want something great. That’s my goal and that’s what I’m going to do.”

So it goes.  

9 comments:

13bit said...

Actually, let’s jump off the fucking bridge.

TheWinWarblist said...

What? Where am I? What's going on!? What is all this?!?!

Local Bargain Jerk said...


What scares me is if the Mets put a team on the field that includes DJL, others they might add of a similar caliber, and the Mets' already fine pitching staff, I'd be tempted to watch ... particularly DJL's at bats and any time deGrom pitches.

Are you reading these words, Hal?

ranger_lp said...

George would NEVER allow his Yanks to become second fiddle to the Mets...

HoraceClarke66 said...

Jump off a bridge? I'm ecstatic!

This is the only possible thing that will make HAL reconsider positioning his team as "permanent wild card contender."

You bet I'll watch more of the Mets if they sign all those guys...and not, anymore, just to snigger when they find a way to lose in the late innings.

HoraceClarke66 said...

And by the by, ranger, Mad Old George DID let the Mets take the town away from him, from 1984-1992.

The Queens team outdrew our boys and outplayed them, and if there HAD been a Subway Series in 1985—something that was not too far from reality—the Bombers would likely have been humiliated.

Maybe distant memories of that will wake HAL up.

Anonymous said...

Hal gets what he deserves. Hopefully, in a very short time, he will get sick of the Yankees and sell them. Hopefully a rich semi-obnoxious New Yorker, who is a lifetime Yankee fan, will buy them. [NO POLITICS ZONE ENFORCED]We can only dream.
The Archangel

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.

Nitish Kumar said...

LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever