Wednesday, November 11, 2020

"WINNING"

Written by HoraceClarke66



That's what Joe Torre had the effrontery to say would have made a perfect marriage between the late George Steinbrenner and the Yankees' new Double-A farm club, untimely ripped from struggling Trenton, New Jersey and grafted on to the Bridgewater-Somerset Patriots, whatever they are.

Would it?

The late, lamented Trenton Thunder won 9 division titles and 4 Eastern League titles in their 17 seasons as a Yankees affiliate.  But it seemed all that winning wasn't enough for the Steinbrenner clan.

Same for the wonderful Oneonta Yankees, seen in Oneonta's beautiful Damaschke Field, above.  In their 32 seasons as a Yankees affiliate in the New York-Penn League, Oneonta was a powerhouse, repeatedly rolling up formidable records and winning 12 league titles of their own.

It didn't keep the franchise from being abruptly transferred to Staten Island, once New York City abjectly built the Yankees a lovely, free ballpark.  There in St. George, the Pizza Rats—and why didn't anybody think of calling them the "Dragons"?—won 9 division titles and 6 more league titles in just 21 seasons.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH!  

Still more free money was to be had elsewhere, apparently.  So out they went.

So it was always, with that "winner," George Steinbrenner.  When he first bought the team, the Yanks' Double-A affiliate was in West Haven, CT, where they won 4  league titles in 8 years.  

Not enough!  Off to Nashville the team went, where they took another league title in 5 seasons.  Then to Albany-Colonie, where they had the best record in the league 4 times, and won 3 league titles.  Then to Trenton...

In other words, it has never been about "the winning."  Not really.  And it's also interesting to note that all those Double-A and Single-A league titles never translated to nearly so many major-league championships.  

Guess something went wrong with all the winning.  But the money sure kept rolling in.



2 comments:

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.

Nitish Kumar said...

LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever