Saturday, November 14, 2020

Remembering the Green Bay Packer who drove me under the couch

In 1961, on the heels of Mantle/Maris and the greatest team of all time, I took it for granted that the New York Football Giants would be the Yankees of the NFL. 

Good grief, who wouldn't? They had Sam Huff, Andy Robustelli, Rosey Grier, Jim Katcavage, Jimmy Patton, Frank Gifford, Kyle Rote, Del Shofner, Rosevelt Brown, Y.A. Tittle -a roster of Olympians comparable to any team in sports or the movies. They had vanquished the Eagles, with Sonny Jurgensen, then toppled Cleveland, with the great Jim Brown. I was absolutely certain they would win the NFL Championship Game. No doubts. None.

I was nine.

That fateful Sunday, the Green Bay Packers crushed us, 37-0, a defeat so overwhelming that I hid behind the living room couch for the entire last quarter. My parents, terrified over my disappearance, were on the verge of phoning the police. 

So came about my first life revelation that my favorite teams would not always win, and that the superheroes in jerseys were not gods, but guys - fallible and flawed, like the rest of us. That day, my world changed. It never changed back.

That day, one of the destroyers of my childhood naivety was Paul Horning, who I am sad to say - in case you missed it - died yesterday at the ripe old age of 84. Actually, I don't hold Horning accountable for the death of my innocence. The Packers' middle linebacker, Ray Nitschke, did far more damage. And frankly - as with most of their humiliations over the last 60 years - the Giants themselves supplied much of the pain. 

(Quickie side rant: In the late 1950s, as the Giants weighed a successor for head coach Jim Lee Howell, three candidates emerged: Offensive line coach Vince Lombardi, defensive coordinator Tom Landry and Allie Sherman, the human clipboard. Of course, they chose the clipboard. The rest is history.) 

So, Paul Horning - "the Golden Boy" - is gone. What a life! Movie star looks. Notre Dame. Heisman Trophy. Cheerleaders. Supermodels. Booze. Gambling. Carousing.  Suspension from the game. Fame. Wealth. Wow. Nobody can say he was cheated out of a swing. Eventually restored to the game and voted into the Hall at Canton, because - well, of course! We're talking about Paul Fucking Horning!

So, as the late Freddie Mercury one sang, in the most frightening Boomer anthem of all time... 

"... And another one's gone, and another one's gone, another one bites the dust..."

Rest in Peace, sir.  I write this from behind the couch. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's Hornung.

HoraceClarke66 said...

That's a riot, Duque. Not long after, in 1963, I hid behind a door for so long that my parents DID call the police. It's a long story.

But yeah, Paul Hornung.

Not long ago, Jimmy Butler nearly broke the NBA records for scoring + assist points in an NBA Final. It's 74—set by Clyde Frazier in the "Willis Reed game." 50 years ago.

Imagine a scoring record standing for that long? Especially when the game has changed so much?

Well, Paul Hornung scored 176 points in the 1960 season. (He also passed for 2 touchdowns, on the halfback option.)

Now THAT record was broken, of course. By LaDainian Tomlinson, in 2006, with 186 points.

Thing is, though, Tomlinson played in 16 games. Hornung's 176 points came in the NFL's very last 12-game season. In other words, this was a record that lasted for 46 years, even though the season was extended by one-third, for the last 28 of those years.

That's a helluva record.

RIP, Golden Boy.


JM said...

He was an amazing player. But I would like to point out that the Giants are right now ahead of the Eagles, 14-3, in the second quarter, although I'm pretty sure they'll find a way to blow it later on.

Then again, the Jints are 2-7 going into today, and have plenty of games left to win the division. Only because the division has become the biggest joke in the NFL. The Beagles are 3-4-1 and hold first place.

Oy vey.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Jints, Jints, Jints! (Not a fan, but I know many here are. God bless.)

Oh, and Hornung actually scored 19 points in that game—to this day a NFL championship game record. He had a touchdown and 89 yards rushing, 47 yards on 3 catches, and made all 4 extra points and all 3 field goals that he attempted.

Not too bad.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.

Nitish Kumar said...

LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever