Wednesday, November 25, 2020

It's time to ask... WWTD? (What Would Tampa Do?) And the answer is... Tyler Wade.

Well, folks, we're into it now.  The virus is everywhere, aliens are building monoliths in the Utah desert, and humankind - I'm not making this up - is actually rebooting Saved by the Bell.  Tell me, over and over again, my friend, that you don't believe we're on the eve of destruction...

That said, when traveling through Hell - or upstate New York - you don't pull over to ask directions from the guy in the red ballcap. And when cheating in third grade, you find the smartest kid in the class and copy her answers. Fortunately, we have the Rays. And it's time to do what Tampa does.

The Yankees have a solid batting order with a disturbing uncertainty at SS. So... what would Tampa do? 

I say... Tyler Wade.

Okay, I heard that.  Everybody, remain seated. Vulgarity is not needed. Tyler Wade is how the Rays would solve their problem at SS. Year after year, they slot their best young players into positions and let them show what they can do. (Does the name Ji-Man Choi strike a note?) 

What Tampa never does is trade prospects for someone whose best years are behind him, and who will demand a huge contract, which is guaranteed to become an albatross halfway through its duration.  

Everybody's talking 'bout Lindors, Condors, Correa, Korea, Simmonds, Clemons, Rabbis and Popeyes, bye-byes and pie-eyes... 

All we are saying is give Wade a chance. 

Two days ago, Wade turned 26. For a shortstop, that's peak foliage. He has a sure glove. He's the fastest Yankee on the roster. He's paid his dues. Last year, he showed marked improvement with the bat. He is a smart player who has learned the major league game. He has earned a shot at more than merely a utility slot.

Okay, I heard that. I won't be swayed by death threats. I get it: Wade hit .170 last year... in only 88 at-bats. (Give him one measly 5-for-5 day, and he'd be at .247 - only three percentage points below Giancarlo Stanton!) Wait. Hear me out! 

Wade hits LH. That's huge, because he feasts on righties - last year, he hit .215 against RH pitchers - that's 45 points above his overall average.  

In September/October, Wade hit 2 HRs, both in key situations. (His 3 HRs last year were key to big wins.) From the left side, he'll make use of that Pennant Porch in RF.

With runners in scoring position, Wade last year hit .235 - 65 fucking points above his average. And get this; With 2 outs and runners in scoring position, he hit .286. (Okay, small sample size - 10 ABs.) How many Yankees hit more than 100 points better with 2-outs and RISP?

He hit .231 against the Redsocks - 61 points above his average.

He stole 4 bases, was caught only once. This obscures the fact that when Wade was on first, pitchers were mortified. Many throws to first. He was always a huge distraction, a clear threat to steal. 

At SS last year, over 22 games, Wade committed no errors. Zero errors. (In 40 games, Gleyber Torres had nine.)

Look, I'm not saying the Death Barge give Wade the position and hibernate until April 1. I'm saying don't crush the long term roster to pry Francisco Lindor - who'll be a free agent next winter - from Cleveland. Rather than signing or trading for an expensive veteran, Tampa gives their best young players a shot. Wade deserves a shot.

If he fails in spring training, well, there is Thairo Estrada, Kyle Holder and the endless scrap heap of glove-first infielders, from which Cashman's greatest strength over the years has been panning for gold. 

The Yankees do not need a big hitting SS. If their sluggers don't slug, shortstop is not going to save them. What we need is pitching, pitching, pitching - and they screwed up yesterday by letting Atlanta get Charlie Morton on a one-year deal. From now on, they should focus on their needs by realizing what they have - and what they have is a rising young player who, on most teams, would get a chance. It's time to follow the leader. What would Tampa do? The answer is Tyler Wade.

14 comments:

13bit said...

https://youtu.be/MVLzkTuVmrw

Anonymous said...

A few thoughts...

1) "Everybody's talking 'bout Lindors, Condors, Correa, Korea, Simmonds, Clemons, Rabbis and Popeyes, bye-byes and pie-eyes... All we are saying is give Wade a chance."

Cool. Such a great song.

Still love the Mitch Miller cover the best... Especially when he shouts, "Hassle the Congress!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wpyxPxyPRo

2) Tyler Wade

I am sorry I did not include him in my "Save the Yankees Parts One and Two" He deserved better.

3) What Would Tampa Do?

I get it, but the team that won the series and their division the last six years is a big market club with a lot of money. They traded for and signed one of the best players in baseball in Mookie Betts and still managed to build a top tier farm system.

Big payroll. Big crowds. Pennants. Dynasty.

And you're right about out biggest need. As the true Eve of Destruction, Eve Plumb, once said in the Brady Bunch Episode (Season 4 Episode 7 The Brady's Form A Softball Team) when asked what is the key to winning, "Pitching! Pitching! Pitching!"

The Dodgers have that in spades as well.

Not content to rest on their laurels I'm reading that they are going after Colorado 3B Arenado. Because he's the best.

That's who we should be emulating. Not some team that plays in front of 4000 fans in a Cadbury Egg.

WWLADD? Let's copy them.

Doug K.





Retired Stratman said...

Duque - I agree completely about Wade - many teams have won with glove first shortstops as long as there is production from the other positions, which the Yanks have.

I also think they should be training AnDuhar to play first base, as I doubt seriously that Hal will spring for an extended DJ contract, so Luke plays first. Except he’s injured a lot and needs a regular back-up. El Matador could rotate around between first, third, left field, and DH. He’ll get plenty of at-bats cause someone’s always injured.

Anonymous said...

Last thought...

As RichieAllen1964 said in an earlier thread

"The Yankees seem to be penny foolish and pound foolish as well,"

Because the team DOES spend. They just do it poorly. We have an outfielder making around 30M. Former MVP. Superstar. and the Dodgers have Mookie Betts.

Our guy isn't allowed to play the outfield and keeps getting hurt anyway. Their guy is Mookie Betts.

Same $$ different results.

Doug K.

Anonymous said...

Strat,

I would like to see AnDUjar make a real run at 1st as well. It's a good solution if he can pull it off.

His time at 3B seems like it would be an asset. I know that 1B has its own skill set but at least a quick reaction time on balls pulled should be a given.

Doug K.

Retired Stratman said...

Agreed, Doug. Most of Andujar’s errors at third were on throws, mostly I think because of his preference for a side arm delivery, which is not a liability for a first baseman.

DickAllen said...



I'm sorry. Andujar belongs in another uniform. There just is no place for him to play. IF he could regain his rookie form, he'd be perfect for left field. Hell, if Greg Luzinski could play left, ANYBODY can.

Besides, Clint belongs in left. It's his job to lose.

And you can forget about first base. The guy who currently plays there has averaged a 961 OPS over his three years in pinstripes and played on a bum leg nearly all season. How many prima donnas can you say that about on this team? And he doesn't bench press midgets in the off season.

Kansas City and especially Pittsburgh might be good landing places. I'd love to see Brad Keller in pinstripes or even Steven Brault. It would take a package to get one of those guys, but Pittsburgh has a gaping hole in left. Ah, who knows anything - Brain likes shopping at Goodwill and the Dollar Store, so anything can happen. If only Brain knew something - anything - about pitching.

I like Andujar (even though he's been worthless the past two years), but let the kid play. Somewhere else.

As for Wade, while Brain has a knack for bargain basement shopping, he seems to only want to shop in other people's stores, all the time ignoring the merchandise on his own sale rack. Baffling.

Retired Stratman said...

Richie - agree with trying to get
Stephen Brault - terrific pitcher and tailor made for NY. He’s a great singer, too - he could spend the off season on Broadway:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-XgWconlbSQ

ranger_lp said...

Did anybody watch Yankee Hot Stove the other night? Meredith was interviewing Aaron Boone. And Boonie was defending ICS and said that the media blitz on ICS was "over the top". Woah!

This is from TMKS discussing this...Kay has a valid point...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjTzbmMVutM

HoraceClarke66 said...

"All we are saying is give Wade a chance..."

Hee-hee! You guys are en fuego this Thanksgiving holiday. Hilarious.

But...if they're not going to keep Torres there and they're not going to get Lindors—sign Didi.

Anonymous said...

El Duque, Red ball cap? I did not know that you hated Cinci that much. Time to get over the '76 World Series.
The Archangel

Anonymous said...

Ranger,

I guess he felt personally insulted. He's right of course.

Doug K.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.

Nitish Kumar said...

LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever