Friday, November 27, 2020

The return of that sinking feeling: The Yankees will stick with Gary Sanchez

Long long ago, in a Yankiverse far far away... I recall some yapper named Michael Kay - then raw-voiced radio caddy to The Master - theorizing about sports success in NYC:  He said to make it with the Yankees - then once of the worst-run operations in America - you needed a great first impression. 

For example, Kevin Maas - of the infamous rookie HR spree - would get a million chances, long after the hole in his swing became the size of Delaware. Same with Shane Spencer. But Hensley Meulens, JT Snow and Jay Buhner - they were goners. They failed in first incarnations, and George Steinbrenner didn't give second chances.

Eventually, Gene Micheal and Bob Watson changed that godforsaken strategy. They resisted multiple offers for a young (and overmatched) Bernie Williams. Had old George forced a deal, we might still be chasing our 23rd world championship, with a curse forming in the new stadium's shadows. 

Today, Brian "Cooperstown" Cashman is the patron saint of second chances. His great talent is combing Triple A rosters for positional talent - (it hasn't worked so well with pitchers) - such at Gio Urshela and Luke Voit, whose careers had stalled. But now and then, we - oh, fer kricesake, LEMME CUT TO THE CHASE, OKAY? 

Last week, in a verbal puke, Aaron Boone waxed about Gary Sanchez, suggesting he deserves another shot. It was one of those, "Come back, Ernie, you didn't kill me with the hammer, you just fractured my skull" pleas that echo across Qanon chats. It doesn't matter than Sanchez stank last year. Once upon a time, he looked great. And now... well, here's the reasoning:

1. As bad as he was last year, 2020 was a two-month spasm, too short to judge Sanchez.

2. After hitting .160, Sanchez won't bring zilch in a trade. We're not just talking about magic beans. We're talking Colter Beans.

3. After JT Realmuto - who'd break Hal Steinbrenner's piggy bank - the free agent market for catchers is sparse. Is Matt Nokes still available?

4. We have no catching prospects ready for The Show. I doubt any are even ready for Scranton.

5. Gary has compromising barnyard photos of Hal.  

Last week, Kay - now a talk radio demon - went ballistic on Boone's comments.  It doesn't matter what he says. Words are cheap. And Kay, a YES man at heart, will come around. 

The return of Sanchez will create a gaping, depressively hopeless hole on the Yankees. His career has tanked for three seasons. When he comes to bat with a critical runner on third - when all that's needed is contact - and strikes out swinging for the fences... it's the stuff of nightmares. I cannot take it. But gird your loins, everybody. The handwriting is on the wall. Stuff that into your Thanksiving leftovers. 

9 comments:

ranger_lp said...

Oh...and Gary frames pitches better. Doesn't matter that many pitches went through his wickets...

Alphonso said...

It will work as long as there are no fans in the stadium.

TheWinWarblist said...

I shall spend the off-season punching myself in the nuts and drinking too much and waiting in line for a vaccine.



FUCK ALL OF YOU YOU MISERABLE SYPHILITICS!!!

Publius said...

They'll either stick with Higgy, or bring in a different D first catcher, and starts will be roughly 50/50 with Gary. Near even split of time between 2 catchers is all the rage tnese days, and if tnere's anything we know about Cash it's that he's a slavish, if slightly tardy, adherent to fashionable best business practices.

......Since 56 said...

If I’m not mistaken, Gary is in line for a raise also....makes perfect sense.

HoraceClarke66 said...

You're right, Publius, and that's the big mistake being made here. Even if they don't want to sign Realmuto or McCann, they could trade Gary for magic beans and sign up Romine, thereby upgrading the position and probably saving a couple mill in the bargain.

Instead, we'll get at least two more years watching Sancho come completely apart. Great.

Alphonso said...

Wait, does that headline read "stick" or " stink?"

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.

Nitish Kumar said...

LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever