Monday, November 2, 2020

The Yankiverse boils with qualifying offers and lost opportunities

Last night, Yankee fan swagger about signing a wave of free agents this winter turned to mush. WTF happened? 

The dreaded Qualifying Offers...

Franchises tagged exiting players with the Q.O., a financial anvil added to deter the signing of gold-plated trophies such as Trevor Bauer, JT Realmuto, Marcus Strohman and George Springer. Suddenly, any buying binge comes with long term baggage in the June draft. 

On that note, the Yankees slapped their own $18.9 M tariff on DJ LeMahieu, so if the Machine walks, we'll receive a high pick, probably in the sandwich round.  That creates an intriguing push-and-pull: 

If - say - we sign Bauer and lose LeMahieu, the picks would be a wash. So, is that a thing? I dunno. Here's what's shaking the Yankiverse today? 

No on Stro. This flogger says the Yanks should cross Strohman off their wish list, rather than give a top pick to the Mets. Frankly, I wonder if Food Stamps Hal Steinbrenner wants to trigger an immediate bidding war with rookie Mets owner Steve Cohen, the gazillionaire who might seize on the opportunity to show-off the size of his erect - um - portfolio. 

No Hiro? The Yankee made no Q.O. to Masahiro Tanaka, which means - well, nobody really knows. If Tanaka wants to stay a Yankee, the team could negotiate a deal. If he's looking for his last big career contract - a four or five year thingy - I'm not sure the brain trust will bite. But but BUT... the Yankees' biggest need this winter is pitching, pitching, pitching. This will be interesting to watch. 

Tommy gone. The Yankees offered Tommy Kahnle a minor league deal, which he quickly pitched into the dumpster. He's a free agent, no strings attached. Again,  though, this comes with vast implications. Kahnle probably won't pitch in 2021, as he recovers from TJ surgery. The Yankees could make him an offer. It's not as if they dissed him. Damn. The guy was a huge loss this year, the first truly bad omen that the season was dangling. Also, I finally learned to spell his name.

Mo's next save: Your bumper. Mariano Rivera Jr.  - son of You Know Who -has opened a body shop in the Orange County village of Chester. He's going to make his fortune by fixing cars that reduce the deer population along the Kings Highway.  I wonder if the tow trucks will play Enter Sandman? 

4 comments:

HoraceClarke66 said...

So the first big question is: Will the Yankees really let The Machine walk away?

As some of you may remember, I'm not the biggest fan of the WAR stat, but it does indicate a certain level of accomplishment. LeMahieu, unsurprisingly, led the Yanks in WAR each of his two years with the team thus far.

Have the Yankees ever traded or let their WAR leader walk in the past?

Well, 3 times, actually—and all since 1989.

The first was Rickey Henderson, who after an outstanding 1988 season, went into one of his convenient funks, hitting only .247 through 65 games and only 25 steals in 33 attempts. The Yanks were in the midst of finishing 5th, 13 games under .500, while Oakland was romping to another pennant.

The brass got the message. Rickey, then 30, was peddled to the A's, where he miraculously revived, hitting .294 and stealing 52 bases in just 58 attempts after that. Must have been that Bay air.

In return, the Yanks reaped a haul of..Greg Cadaret, Eric Plunk, and Luis Polonia. Well, only one of them turned out to be a (statutory) rapist!

In 1991, second baseman Steve Sax had another outstanding year for the Yanks, hitting .304, stealing 31 bases, and slugging 38 doubles and 10 homers. The Yanks dealt him to the ChiSox for Domingo Jean, Melido Perez, and Bob Wickman.

Turned out to be a good deal for the home side. Sax, who was 32, quickly declined in Chicago, while Perez had some good years in the Bronx, and Wickman was decent, until we used him in the big Graeme Lloyd trade that helped nail down the 1996 Series.

In 2013, it was another second baseman. That's right: Jogginson had the fifth straight in a series of epic years for us—but we let him walk to Seattle.

Was it the right call?

Well, Joggy was 31, he would never again have a year that would quite match his best seasons with the Yankees, and after signing that crazy deal with Seattle he at times continued to look less than motivated, and was caught juicing. And he was unlikely to have been enough to get us over the hump in any of the years since.

The bigger problem? What we did with instead with the $240 mill we "saved" by not re-signing Joggy. Enter Ellsbury, McCan't, and Beltran—exit sanity (aside from a good year-and-a-half from Carlos).

So what does history tell us here?

LeMahieu is a little older than the 3 previous WAR winners we let walk. But he's also more versatile, and of course spared himself much wear-and-tear with the shortened season this year. He is at once the best average hitter in the league, and someone who can be moved to at least 3 different positions in a pinch.

Would ALL of a big contract be worth it? No—but that's the price you pay. And what's more? There's little indication that current management would do anything better with the money.

Sign him up!


Donna said...

Hello everyone.  I want to share my amazing experience with the great spell caster Dr Mark my husband was cheating on me and when I found out we had a fight which lead him filling for a divorce I cried and fell sick when I was searching about love quotes online I saw people talking about Dr Mark and his great work whose case was similar to mine they left his contact info I contacted Dr Mark and he told me not to worry that after 24 hours he will cancel the divorce and my husband will be back to me after I did everything he asked me to do to my greatest surprise the next day evening it was my husband he knelt down begging me to accept him back, thank you once again Dr Mark you are indeed a blessing to me he can also help you. contact Dr Mark through his email address on: blessedlovetemple@gmail.com

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.

Nitish Kumar said...

LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever