Monday, November 2, 2020

Starting Pitching


The beginning of this exercise is easy.

Gerritt Cole gets to remain our ace.  He, regularly, in the highest level of competition the Yankees achieved, gave us 6 innings and 2-3 runs.  He was lights out until the requisite ( surprise ) two run homer departed the stadium.  One mistake pitch amongst 95 deliveries.  

A $300 million value for sure. 

Oh well.  If we could score and defend, we could win.  We couldn't.  So we didn't. 

Now we get into trouble:

Happ and Paxton are likely gone from the scene.  Too much money for too little contribution.  And they are old as silver dollars.

Tanaka will, in this analysts' opinion, remain a Yankee.  

A good number 4 or 5 starter. Alternatively, a " designated starter."  We won't give him the contract of Gerritt Cole, but any of us would be more than pleased to receive what Hal deposits in his bank account.

For having fun. And working ( having fun ) every 5 or 6 days.  For an hour or two. 

Jordan Montgomery will also vie for a starting slot

If there is a spring training in 2021, approaching any degree of normalcy ......actually, a doubtful proposition.....I think Jordan will be 100% back from his TJ surgery.  Because he is a lefty, he goes straight to the head of the line for those seeking work. 

He is a good number 4 or 5 starter.  Particularly for a team with a low ceiling.

Severino is not going to be viable most of the year. 

We should consider him for 2022 when he will be 30 and a free agent.  For next year, maybe he gets to throw a few inconsequential innings during September.  Most of our games will be inconsequential by then. 

But it is fanciful thinking, and a mistake, to "hope" or plan that he will be part of a dynamite starting Yankee rotation this coming year.  He'll still be tossing a sponge ball in late July.

Does anyone really believe Domingo will be allowed back ?

Supposedly, this mystery man has paid for his indiscretion to MLB.  He lost three seasons.  Now, I'll be surprised if he is allowed back in the USA.

 Nonetheless, he hasn't pitched since high school. This once dominating starter will have to "wow" people, just as Urshela did, to earn a spot out of training camp. 

They will toy with him as a long reliever, before trusting him to anything else. And he will not be allowed to attend team or MLB sponsored events in public. 

Don't pencil him in as a starter.  Not until he forces the issue ( I probably should not say that.). He is a true " wild card."

Deivi Garcia will remain our top rated prospect.

He will still be referred to as the Yankee's  "top prospect," because every team needs someone they can so designate.   And our real " top prospects" are all 16-17 years old and don't speak english. 

It is clear that Cashman, Hal and Boone do not trust Deivi..." top prospect" designation notwithstanding. 

Worse, Garcia is aware that all the praise and confidence they appeared to bestow upon him was a lie.  Last season's bungle will live on forever. 

 I think he is too small and un-intimidating to be what Pedro Martinez says about him ( ie " that he is really going to be great .").  My worry is that Pedro's heart has overtaken his objectivity. 

The Yankees will pencil him  in as a starter, because they are trying to cover up their blunder from last season.  They want us to believe that they really do have faith in this guy.

But it is a lie.  Time will tell. 

As for the rest:

I will tell you right now to forget King.  Not to say that he won't ever start a game, but we are not talking about a guy who will give you 7 innings and 1-2 runs on a regular basis.  King can compete for a spot in the BP.  Face three batters and maybe do it well, if he can throw strikes.  A big " If." 

But King is a "once through the line-up" guy right now. 

Schmidt will be thrown into that pack of pitchers who can compete for work.  He has some ' stuff," but it is a long way from the magic needed in meaningful playoff games.  It would be a pleasant surprise to see him blossom.  And a highly unlikely one. 

So we don't have much.  Which means that we still...again...have to trade for ...or break the bank for...starting pitching.  I say we need two, but we'll be lucky to get one.  And there are no guarantees out there. 

Developing quality arms is not a Yankee strength.  But we won't really need them for the wild card round. 



7 comments:

DickAllen said...



"Developing quality arms is not a Yankee strength"

You think?

That is the understatement of the year!

How about the ones that should have gotten away:

A.J. Burnett
Hideki Irabu
Kevin Brown
Kenny Rogers
Jose Contreras
Jaret Wright
Kei Igawa
Kyle Farnsworth
Javier Vazquez
Ed Whitson

And the winner is:

Carl Pavano

I almost put Brien Taylor on the list, and David Hughes and Joba too, but that would have been rubbing dirt in the wound. I'm also fondly remembering the buildup for the Killer B's: Betances and Banuelos. Between terrible signings and ever worse development, we are at the bottom of the pitching barrel. Who's running this show anyway?

It's almost as if the Yankees are garbage collectors.

Anonymous said...

Alpho, your points are very well taken and I agree. However, there is hope with Sevy because he does not become a free agent until after the 2022 season and the Yanks hold an option for 2023, which I think is for 15 mil, soooo, if he does come back healthy, big if, we could have him for 2023 for less than we just paid Happ.
The answer still remains to develop our own # and #3 and sign a #2+ free agent type. We need two really solid #2 to follow up Cole in any post-season series. That is 1st priority, then LH bat and another Relief P. We can only hope and pray
The Archangel

HoraceClarke66 said...

Not only can the Yankees not develop pitchers—"Everyone gets hurt, no one gets better"—they also consistently pass on real pitching talent.

Hence they made no effort to sign Max Scherzer, Patrick Corbin, Yu Darvish, or Dallas Keuchel, when any of them might have brought us at least one ring. They traded for Sonny Gray—instead of Justin Verlander—then gave Gray away for nothing.

Whoops.

Alphonso said...

And no one pays a price for these blunders. Except maybe the fitness coach. It is why the Yankees are stuck in mediocrity.

Nothing matters to anyone.

The checks still go in the bank.

Donna said...

Hello everyone.  I want to share my amazing experience with the great spell caster Dr Mark my husband was cheating on me and when I found out we had a fight which lead him filling for a divorce I cried and fell sick when I was searching about love quotes online I saw people talking about Dr Mark and his great work whose case was similar to mine they left his contact info I contacted Dr Mark and he told me not to worry that after 24 hours he will cancel the divorce and my husband will be back to me after I did everything he asked me to do to my greatest surprise the next day evening it was my husband he knelt down begging me to accept him back, thank you once again Dr Mark you are indeed a blessing to me he can also help you. contact Dr Mark through his email address on: blessedlovetemple@gmail.com

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.

Nitish Kumar said...

LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever