Sunday, November 1, 2020

It will take four years to correct the mistakes of this administration (Hold your fire: I'm referring to the Yankees)

The Yankiverse buzzed this week after Cheapland - I mean, Cleveland - declined its $10 M option on Brad Hand, one of the game's top closers. Fan-bloggers - floggers, we'll call them - gushed over the chance to solidify the Yank bullpen for the cost of A-Rod's clam dip. Despite the incessant poormouthing, everyone knows "Food Stamps" Hal Steinbrenner has the money. This would be a relatively cheap fix. 

Sigh.

Take a seat, everybody, because this won't be fun...

Remember that old Bette Midler song, "Don't go chasing waterfalls...?" For the Yankees, it should be, "Don't go chasing wild cards..."

I fear the Yankees have dug themselves into such a deep, unforgiving hole that we could be chasing second place for a long, long time.

For example, Brad Hand. To sign him, Hal would want to free up space. They might try to trade Adam Ottavino, who spiraled and crashed last year. Next year, Ottavino will earn $9 M. That leads to a question:  Why would any team take Ottavino - at $9M/yr - when they can sign Hand for $10M? 

The answer: Nobody will, we're stuck with Ottavino, and we're priced out of Hand.  

And that, comrades, sums up the Yankees. They have a roster of ridiculously overpriced veterans who toil beside ascending players, anxious for their own the gravy train to arrive. 

It's the result of what the Yankees call "rebuilding on the fly," or never taking the actual time to fix a problem the right way.  The greatest example of this is Giancarlo Stanton. We've covered his contract in the past. Basically, we'll pay him about $30 M a year until long after Covid is a memory. Stanton is an example of how we pay for past performances rather than invest in youth. Years ago, when we traded kids for Stanton, the Yankees boasted about the trade. Now, if we had a time machine... 

The lone exception to "rebuilding on the fly" came in mid-2016, when we abruptly cleared the veteran decks to acquire a wave of youth. Sadly, this plan did not last. Within a year, we had returned to the old ways, as evidenced by Chris Carter, Andrew McCutcheon, Troy Tulowitski, Edwin Encarnacion, Kendrys Morales,  Sonny Gray, Lance Lynn, Big Maple, El Chapo, and J.A. Happ.  

Look... Brian Cashman is not a fool. He has done great deals - Gio Urshela, Luke Voit, and Gleyber Torres, to name a few. But most of his trades have made old rosters even older, and his regular season successes are like winning the popular vote, when only the Electoral College (aka the World Series) matters.

This winter's free agent market will be heavily depressed. Owners will not spend as in the past. They will probably collude, as in the past. Brad Hand is just the first shot in a civil war that will culminate in a strike during the winter of 2021-22. 

This winter, the Yankees possess the most overinflated payroll in the game - a roster choking from its own financial weight. We boast four of DH's and one starting pitcher. And who do we plan to shop? Gary Fucking Sanchez. Listen: Nobody - nobody - is going to trade for Gary Fucking Sanchez. It's time to accept reality: Gary will probably return next season, because the Yankees have no other path out of this putrid malaise. 

Someday, Cashman will retire. It's clear, by now, that Hal will never fire him. But Cash will tire of the stress, the second place finishes, the losses in October and the chest pains when he hears the words "Michael Pineda." My guess is it will happen around 2024. A new GM will have the personal clout to launch an actual rebuilding program. The Yankees will trade big name stars for no-names, and we will actually start to improve.

Until then, we're chasing wild cards. I hope I'm wrong. Please, tell me I'm wrong. 

19 comments:

JM said...

I cannot tell a lie. You're not wrong.

ranger_lp said...

The Mets will gobble up Hand before the Yanks have a chance...

Stang said...

If anything you're too optimistic. "A new GM will have the personal clout to launch an actual rebuilding program" sounds like a reach. Hal's money will still be Hal's (unless Biden/Harris turn us communist, which feels more like a second term move).

Kevin said...

The Yankees are an aging/old club? Bullsht, they are simply slow.

HoraceClarke66 said...

You are wrong, Duque. It's much worse than that.

—The Yankees excel in the regular season under Cashman? Less and less.

After he took over the Great Team that other, better baseball men had built, it finished first 9 years in a row, 1998-2006.

Over the last 14 seasons, as the players from that team dwindled, the Yanks have finished first just 4 times.

For the last 8 seasons, 2013-2020, they finished first once—and missed the playoffs altogether, 3 times.

The trend lines are clear. This is a Yankees team that wins less and less in the regular season. Expect the trend to continue next season...

HoraceClarke66 said...

—The Yanks have great ascending players? Not anymore.

The original, Magnificent Seven that emerged from the 2016 rebuild have all declined or gone to pieces, with the sole, possible exception of the Red Menace.

Bird is gone, Severino may be done, Andujar has now missed almost all of the last two seasons, Sanchez is finished, Judge spends more time on the DL than the field, and Torres looked terrible at short and at the plate this year.

Everyone gets hurt, no one gets better.

This has become so severe that even Giancarlo "The Millstone" Stanton has become a side issue. The Yankees cannot develop much of anyone, and the few players they do develop they cannot keep on the field.

We're worried they're getting older? Hell, at least some of the older guys they acquire—LeMahieu, Voit, Urshela, Cole—can figure how not to go on the disabled list every month...

HoraceClarke66 said...

Brain Cashman will want to retire around 2024? Oh, he's much too young, makes much too much money, and wraps much too much of the press and too many of the Steinbrenners around his little finger for anything like that!

—The pandemic has already provided him with his excuse for 2020.

—After a worse failure in 2021, he can always throw Ma Boone overboard. If there's even a full season at all.

—2022? The return of labor strife is a built-in excuse.

—2023 or 2024: THIS is when Brain admits that the team must rebuild, and urges everybody to be patience.

I suspect patience will run out about 2027, but he might last until 2029. Much depends on whether or not Steve Cohen is successful in taking over the town with the Mets again. Judging by their pitching, that will probably take a few years, but we can dream, can't we?

Once the Mets are outdrawing the Yankees by a million fans a year or so, HAL may wake up and realize how much money is being left on the table. Until then, expect nothing but decline.

Rufus T. Firefly said...

Thanks for cheering me up, guys.

And I agree. It's much worse. At least I won't be disappointed I won't get to the stadium for at least three years. I watched zero innings of the WS and barely watched a few innings of the Yankees flailing in the playoffs. I spent my time well, not watching.

Anonymous said...

I think the Steinbrenners are related to the Dolans. The Yankees became losers with the passing of George "Winning is Second Only to Breathing" Steinbrenner. Mediocrity has become a way of life. There is no pressure for the asshole cASSman to win unlike when George was around. He keeps spending money in the wrong places (Stanton, Hicks, Happless, etc). I'm hoping they sell to another owner who DEMANDS winning for the NY fans!!

smurfy said...

Sounds like they're calling your name again, President Trump. Want to buy the stinkin' Yankees, interested? Hey, why not use the Treasury? A worthwhile investment in a national treasure. See if you can boss your way, can ya? Says its the real thing, not some flimsy imitation, the brand name and all. The way they're talking about 'em, should be cheap.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like an excellent idea smurfy, T rump buys the Yanks after he loses, using the millions of $ which Putin has funneled into Trump's bank accounts in China and the Caymans. His "beloved" city goes Bonkers and money war between Cohen and Trump heats up. Can you imagine the names Trump will have for Cohen!. The NYC haters will fall back in love with him, no more Hal and will all live happily ever after. All Aboard the Trump Train.
The Deplorable Archangel

ranger_lp said...

The Yankees have not won under a Republican since Dwight D Eisenhower in 1958. A whopping 74% of Yankee championships came under Democratic presidents. Although the Yankees' first 4 came under Republicans, all but 3 of the rest have been under Democrats.

So you know what has to be fixed first...

Anonymous said...


I like the idea of Donald Trump as the new Yankees owner...

We would be "winners" again. Because who ever wins the series that is not us is FAKE NEWS. We will win every year because that's what he will tell us and we will believe him!

The ticker tape parade will include tanks and planes!

Back to the exciting George Steinbrenner days where a Yankee coach or player get fired pretty much at any time. Plus as a bonus: Indictments!

Lock Hal up! Lock Lon up!

Gary Sanchez gone after being convinced that he doesn’t need to wear his catchers mask and taking a foul tip to the head.

Pro: Packed houses for every game.
Con: No bus or subway service after conclusion of game.

Pro: Insider pipeline to Korean ballplayers.
Con: The ballplayers are North Korean.

Pro: He will die sooner than Hal might.
Con: Don Jr. takes over the team and we are back to square one.

Pro: It means he lost!
Con: Him. ASAP!

Doug K.

ranger_lp said...

@Doug And if Donald doesn't like the umpire's call, he'll tweet that some bad might happen to him...

smurfy said...

Nah, nah, you radicals. Trump'll have to drain the friggin' swamp of grubbing traitors first. The he could retire to enjoy a new toy. He loves working class, he'll probably be aces with the players.

DickAllen said...



Trump won't be able to drain the swamp of all the grubbing traitors. They're all in jail. Every one of them former "trusted" allies. There's only room in the swamp for his fat ass.

This just in: DONALD TRUMP IS A CUNT.

That is all.

Donna said...

Hello everyone.  I want to share my amazing experience with the great spell caster Dr Mark my husband was cheating on me and when I found out we had a fight which lead him filling for a divorce I cried and fell sick when I was searching about love quotes online I saw people talking about Dr Mark and his great work whose case was similar to mine they left his contact info I contacted Dr Mark and he told me not to worry that after 24 hours he will cancel the divorce and my husband will be back to me after I did everything he asked me to do to my greatest surprise the next day evening it was my husband he knelt down begging me to accept him back, thank you once again Dr Mark you are indeed a blessing to me he can also help you. contact Dr Mark through his email address on: blessedlovetemple@gmail.com

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.

Nitish Kumar said...

LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever