Saturday, November 7, 2020

Look out, below! The looming hammer of Steve Cohen might signal the end of the Yankees' default dominance in NYC

Yesterday, the prospective Bond-villain and super-billionaire, Steven Cohen, ripped the sheets away from his latest toy - the perpetual, also-ran atrocity known as the New York Mets. 

Today, the Mets front office is out of work. And the Yankiverse is about to shake. 

Just eight days ago, Cohen won MLB approval to join the secret brotherhood of MLB owners, an evil cult worthy of its own Qanon conspiracy. In his final confirmation tally, four owners voted against him. His money mills - Point72Asset Management and SAC Capital Partners - have faced claims of sex discrimination and insider trading. Cohen has never been indicted - (the bar of righteousness these days is rather low, wouldn't you say?) - but to grease the fly wheels of justice, his companies have paid fines of $1.8 billion.

So, yesterday, he brought down the hammer. Gone are five Mets front office gerbils, including GM Brode Van Wagenen. Under Cohen, the Mets will be run by the venerable management specter, Sandy Alderson, an ex-Marine who in 37 years has one World Series ring - courtesy of the 1989 A's. 

Some Yank fans will pooh-pooh this threat. The Mets are the Mehts, they'll say, and a Met is a Met is a Meh. 

I say, Katie, bar the door.  Says Tyler Kepner in today's Gray Lady:  

Sandy Alderson, the Mets’ former general manager and new team president, will hire a fresh front-office team supported by not just Cohen’s billions, but also his drive. At a time when other owners will show caution after a season without ticket sales, the Mets are positioned to spend the way they rarely did after the Bernard L. Madoff scandal ravaged the Wilpon family finances.

Alderson knows both NYC and the Mets, which he ran between 2010 and 2018. He is the baseball equivalent of Leon Paneta, a backroom insider who only seems to occasionally disappear, but then always bobs to the surface in a new role. Under Alderson, the Mets went to a World Series, something the Yanks failed to do during that period. He is no fool, and he is now backed by one of the richest owners in American sports.

Cohen's first strike has brought cheers from long-suffering Mets fans. His next one will probably happen in the free agent market, where he won't be hobbled by luxury taxes, money shortages or PTSD from past mistakes. At a time when wonky Hal Steinbrenner may seek to cut payroll, the Mets will be looking to sign marquee stars. 

As evidenced by the Back Page Races on the left side of this site, the Yankees have ruled the zeitgeist of Gotham for the last several years. That era about to end. That doesn't mean the Yankees cannot win. But the stakes of losing, or of perpetually chasing second place, will never be greater. 

11 comments:

Publius said...

Brady Van Whatever is out? Poor Tim Tebow.

Alphonso said...

Everything you say is true. But you don't always win with free agent superstars.

On the other hand, maybe we can interest him in Giancarlo????

13bit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
13bit said...

Had to delete that post due to typos. I need to proof before I post. Here is the cured version, as they say in the vote-counting circles:

Cohen - who is destroying my neighborhood with a mega-mansion that he bought off the Historic District leadership to build - is a fan. He will do whatever it takes to win, like someone we once knew, loved and hated and who died in 2010. MY BOLD PREDICTION is as follows:

We will continue to battle the Red Sox, now led by a cheater again. We will win and lose, win and lose, win and lose, etc. One year, we will beat them out for the pennant. We will finally advance to the series and confront the Mets, who will then whip us in that subway series.

We will then be forced to suck on Mets penis for the rest of our lives. The circle of death will be complete and the curse will be permanent. As a former and recovering Jets fan, I can speak with some knowledge of curses, the supernatural, and the fates and furies of New York sports teams who tread on the JuJu.

Until Hal fires Spidey/Cashman, we will continue to be an expensive mediocrity.

Hal is a tightwad who DOES NOT CARE.
Brian is a moron WHO CANNOT WIN.

TheWinWarblist said...

I don't want to suck On Mets penis!!!!

TheWinWarblist said...

I DON'T!!!!

HoraceClarke66 said...

Bitty, what do you think the Jets' curse is/was?

HoraceClarke66 said...

Frankly, I think Cohen doing exactly that is the ONLY thing that might wake up HAL.

The Yanks have outdrawn the Mets at the gate ever since 1992, the last year our boys finished with a losing record. That's right: even when the Mets went to the World Series and we made a one-way trip to Palookaville, we outdrew them.

I imagine the TV ratings were equally one-sided.

With no need to really compete, HAL won't. Only when the Mets are taking food out of his children's mouths will he wake up.

Donna said...

Hello everyone.  I want to share my amazing experience with the great spell caster Dr Mark my husband was cheating on me and when I found out we had a fight which lead him filling for a divorce I cried and fell sick when I was searching about love quotes online I saw people talking about Dr Mark and his great work whose case was similar to mine they left his contact info I contacted Dr Mark and he told me not to worry that after 24 hours he will cancel the divorce and my husband will be back to me after I did everything he asked me to do to my greatest surprise the next day evening it was my husband he knelt down begging me to accept him back, thank you once again Dr Mark you are indeed a blessing to me he can also help you. contact Dr Mark through his email address on: blessedlovetemple@gmail.com

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.

Nitish Kumar said...

LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever