Sunday, January 16, 2022

I Signed At Seventeen

(With apologies to Frank Sinatra)

When I was seventeen…

I had a very good year.
I had a very good year. I hit .315
Got four mil from the Yanks.
And Jesus I thanked…
Montero, I mean.
I signed at seventeen...

When I was twenty-one...

It was a pretty good year.
It was a pretty good year. 
Crushed 32 Blasts and made AA
I’ll make the majors some day
Though it hurts when I run.
When I was twenty-one.

When I was twenty-five...

I once had much better years.
They found a hole in my swing. I’m all out of springs.
Go to Arby’s for meals.
And I am an add on in deals.
I knew I'd never arrive 

When I was twenty-five.

And now the days are short...

I’m in the autumn of my career.
But for work… baseball I played
And at least once was paid
So I can’t shed a tear
At least I had a career.

My whole life filled with green...

I signed at seventeen.

  

8 comments:

HoraceClarke66 said...

You outdid yourself, Doug! Great stuff!

el duque said...

Brilliant!

DickAllen said...


Wow. I need a drink.

Publius said...

A generation later (apologies to Stevie Nicks):

Just like the switch-hitting Martian
swings through a 2-0 heater
Oooh, baby, ooh, yeah ooh

And the days go by, lawyers lying to each other
Cash logs onto on zoom, he begins again
Says to his nerds, Boonie, everything stopped, nothing else mattered

He is no more than a baby now
And he looks like a five tooler
The exit velo
But who the hell can really know
a thing about a kid
On the edge of seventeen

Scottish Yankee fan said...


Brilliant both of you

Lots of funny and very creative posters on here

ranger_lp said...

Great stuff Doug....

Gary Frenay said...

Fantastic, Doug!

JM said...

We are nothing if not demanding fans and great parodists.

Say, Dick, I saw a video of Dick Allen the other day hitting two inside-the-park HRs in one game. Highly amusing, nice going.