Thursday, August 4, 2022

Brian Cashman is a genius. Just ask the French.


 So Tots Bader, eh? 

What a name. It makes you think of a character out of Damon Runyon:

"So me an' Tots Bader was chasin' after these tomatoes down at his Hotsie Totsie Club, see..."

Or maybe a World War II documentary:

"The Wehrmacht realized that if they could hold the Red Army at the Totsbader Line, they might keep Ruthenia in the Ostreich until the spring..."

But what to make, really, of Brian Cashman's decision to trade a perfectly serviceable pitcher for an outfielder in a walking boot? Obviously, the man is a genius

The French understood already, as they always do, they are far ahead of us, as they were with Jerry Lewis.  


Did you know that they gave Brian Cashman Le Prix de Magritte 15 years ago? 

It's true! 

It was back when Cashman started using first-round draft picks to select already injured pitchers. L'Academie Française understood this as the absurdist take on baseball that Cash meant it to be, when the rest of us were just stupefied.

What Cashman realized was that the sport he loved and had come of age in had become inherently absurd.

Hence his constant preoccupation with Rule 5 Draft. What an absurdity that is, in and of itself! All Cashman has been trying to do is point this out.

For that matter, exactly what is an "Astro"—or even a "Met"? When even the team names no longer make sense, how can we expect anything else to do so?



For those who doubt, have you seen the "City Connect" gear that ballplayers are now forced to cavort in?


Could anything BE more absurd? Or the "special" uniforms, in which our poor players must be driven close to schizophrenia, made to dress up alternately as combat troops and breast cancer survivors?

And what about the balk rule?

Some believe Cashman to be merely incompetent, or engaged in some sort of sinister connivance. But these are always the criticisms of genius before its time.

No, my friends, it is we who don't get it—who don't understand the brave protest he is making against the degradation of the game he once loved.




So Cashman has traded a pitcher for a man in a walking boot. How marvelous!

Surely, this can only be the beginning of a stunning new phase, for this giant in the art of the absurd.

What could be next? We can only speculate.

A groundskeeper, traded for a cockatoo, peut-être? A traveling secretary, for a plate of smelt?

The mind can only boggle.

And could it be that "Cashie," as his adoring fans at the Sorbonne call him, is actually the hidden genius behind the "Three True Outcomes"? An incredible satire in its own right, when we consider that man has only one true outcome, which is death. 

And when he describes the Yankees' roster as an "ecosystem," what could he really be doing, but pointing us to the ecosystem of this earth, that is dying all around us?


No, what Cash-man—a name suspiciously close to "Banksy," no?—has prescribed for us in this troubled world is the best medicine: laughter. Let us take it, before it is too late.





26 comments:

Publius said...

I like a couple of those, Hoss. Not much to like about Cash's work though. Before the deadline I wondered about the most Cashtastic move possible. What would the most arrogant, stubborn, out of touch midwit do? I came up with "Keep Gallo", and was pretty pleased with myself as the deadline drew ever closer and Crazy Joe was still in pinstripes. But Cashman defeated me. Bad as keeping Gallo would have been, there was some logic to it (with an extended DL stint included). But Monty/Bader, without an ironclad deal for a different starter...simply incomprehensible.

HoraceClarke66 said...

I think the plate of smelt would've served us better than Gallo, Publius. But yes, I feared you were right, and they were going to keep him as a back-up. Oy.

The Hammer of God said...

Hoss, that was brilliant, sublime! The French ... absurdity ... just fantastically deep. And the last bit about laughter, reminds me of the ending of Herman Hesse's Steppenwolf. Yeah, what else can we do except laugh, whilst we enjoy listening to the silvery ethereal music of Mozart?

Ken of Brooklyn said...

Hoss, this is BRILLIANT, the artist in me is smiling thru sweet surrealist tears as I wallow in sublime Yankee angst,,,,

Doug K. said...

Hoss,

I wasn't able to comment on your office politician one (which was really really good BTW) but you have clearly outdone yourself with this. Tres deep.

The Yankees are a series of Magrits.

This Is Not A Baseball Team
This Is Not A Starting Lineup
This Is Not An Ace

Well done!

Also, it doesn't get better than, "What a name. It makes you think of a character out of Damon Runyon:

"So me an' Tots Bader was chasin' after these tomatoes down at his Hotsie Totsie Club, see..."

and

"The Wehrmacht realized that if they could hold the Red Army at the Totsbader Line, "

Seriously funny.

BTR999 said...

Quite a post Hoss! You know, you just don’t see this type of writing on “Pinstripe Alley”..,

But rather then Hesse or Runyon, the team’s recent machinations put me in mind of Lewis Carroll -
I think we may be through the looking glass here.

AboveAverage said...

HEY HOSS,

Nicely done!

It's always exciting to expose oneself . . . to culture.

(Not talking about raincoats and Dannon, either).

Happy Weekend Everyone.....


Cashman est comme un monticule ennuyeux de tabac à chiquer sirupeux. Une masse sirupeuse a craché au ralenti dans l'espoir de dégager le court porche avec un angle de lancement et une vitesse de sortie aussi impressionnants, mais atterrissant malheureusement dans une flaque d'eau agaçante sur nos pantoufles à crampons.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Thanks, guys!

AA, I'm going to have to pull out my old French/English dictionary from high school...

DickAllen said...


Hoss, you have scaled the heights!

Sublime!

Ridiculous!

I am certain if Marcel Duchamp were alive, the would sip tea and contemplate the absurdity of the world.

And snicker with the satisfaction of savants in the know.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Thanks, DickAllen!

HoraceClarke66 said...

And hey, speaking of Three True Outcomes...the Angels his 7 home runs today. And LOST.

Ohtani had 2 of them. He's so great.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Mets get lucky. Diaz, trying for six-out save, looks like he's about to blow up in the ninth. Gives up a hit in the 9th and, with 2 out, goes 3-0 on the next batter—who then tries to hold up on the next pitch, which is out of the strike zone, but instead hits a check-swing ground back to him. Mets win, 6-4.

Whole game a playoff atmosphere to it. Sigh.

13bit said...

brilliant, as always, Hoss...

13bit said...

I can see clearly now, the rain has gone
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It's gonna be a bright, bright sun-shining day
It's gonna be a bright, bright sun-shining day

I think I can make it now, the pain has gone
All of the bad feelings have disappeared
Here is that rainbow I've been praying for
It's gonna be a bright, bright sun-shining day

13bit said...

because I no longer care....

freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose...

Carl J. Weitz said...

Now that the Phil's released Didi, how long will it be before Cashman pounces on him?

JM said...

The Red Sox DFAed Jackie Bradley Jr.? Wow.

JM said...

Washed up at 32.

Hoss, you are nowhere near being washed up. This might be your best post yet, and you've had some terrific ones. And if I view Cashman through this absurdist prism, his bizarre machinations make perfect sense to me. It's the first and only time.

Thanks.

AboveAverage said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AboveAverage said...

I'm going to write this up although many might not see it at this hour.

I just went to a local watering hole to debrief the last few days with a friend.

The woman that runs the social and sporting events there (darts, corn hole, global nuclear toe fungus removal) saw that I was wearing a yankees jersey (full disclosure - I own about 15 different jerseys - real and after market designer beauties procured from eBay) and came over and said - out of the blue -

"I'm from St Louis and I'm a huge Cardinals fan. I see that you're a Yankees fan, right? Well, your team just got one of the best players that ever played for the Cardinals. Harrison Bader is an incredible player and we're going to miss him. He also grew up a Yankees fan and I think he as raised near the Bronx."

I then asked what's wrong with his foot and can he play with short hair, etc.

She thinks he's hot sh*t and we're lucky to have him PLUS -she's not on Cashman's payroll.

HMMMMMMMM?

HoraceClarke66 said...

Thanks, Bitty, thanks, JM! And yeah, Jack Bradley no longer reet petite.

Remember, he was going to be part of the Red Sox' outfield of the future, along with Mookie Betts and, who was the other guy...?

AboveAverage said...

everybody must be sleeping zzzzzzzz

Kevin said...

Hoss, OMG I am so thankful that I still have a strong bladder! Hilarious! Did you ever see "Being There", or did you write the screenplay? Keep up the the great work!

EDB said...

Horace, hilarious. Exactly what I would write if I was part of your group and I would like to be. I wrote for the sports debaters and my own blog EDB on sports. More importantly, I cane up with the name Genius Cashman. One always hears how brilliant he is. I was not a huge fan of Montgomery. Many callers on WFAN and ESPN sport's radio, thought that the Genius had another trade in mind and ran out of time. The Genius brought in Harrison Bader who we might not see this season. Planter fasciatus does not heal so quickly. I will again repeat, no World Series wins with The Genius running the Yankees. If anyone wishes to dispute my claim. 1. Kei Igawa 2. Carl Pavano 3. Joey Gallo.

Urban Farmer formerly known as DutchFan said...

Really great piece!
And to think that those arrogant French, who consider their culture and cuisine superior to all others (comparable to how the Americans tout their voting system.....?) would take the Belgian artist Magritte to name this most prestigious award. Trumpian irony.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Thanks a lot guys!

Urban Farmer, how good to hear from you again—and I have to admit, I had no idea that Magritte was Belgian! I love most things about France, and feel more alive on the rare occasions I am there. Their exasperation with us is, I think, just hilarious by now.

And thanks Kevin, and EDB. You know, I'm beginning to think that this trade really went down exactly as The Brain planned it. He really thinks that Bader is going to throw away his boot come Sept. 15th or so, quickly round into shape, and play brilliant CF for us. He'll be joined on the field by Giancarlo and Sevvy and Torrents Chapman, all at peak form!

Ah, me. "These dreams," as Heart sings.