Monday, August 29, 2022

"But what are you?"

 

Poor Ma Boone. 

If the Yankees' meltdown ends up being as complete and record-setting as we fear it will be—"No, no! Live, Tink, live!!!"—then the Yankees manager might well serve as scapegoat, even as The Brain That Wouldn't Die goes on to run the Yankees for another 3 or 4 (or 5 or 10 or 20) seasons.

We all know that the real culprit for the Yanks' continuing failure even to get back to the World Series, lo these 13 years, is one Brian Cashman. Or, in a more meta sense, HAL Steinbrenner, the guy who just won't fire him. 

And yet...I have to say, Boone getting chucked under the bus won't be all that undeserved. 

For the latest, soap operatic turn in this most annoying of all Yankees seasons—and most unwatchable of all Yankees teams—we must turn to yet another movie analogy. (Yes, we must!)

This was Big Night, a 1996 indie with an incredible cast—Isabella Rossellini, Minnie Driver, and Alison Janney are also in it, among others—and a subtly intelligent screenplay.

The plot revolves around two brothers from Italy, trying to keep their American restaurant alive, lest they have to go back to the home country. The brothers are played by Stanley Tucci and Tony Shalhoub, which is extraordinary, mostly because it's amazing they weren't always required to play brothers.

Shalhoub plays the restaurant's master chef, a temperamental genius at his art, who despises his ignorant, American suburban customers, and would just as soon go back to Rome. Tucci is the business side of the partnership, someone who loves the U.S. and wants to stay, but is more than a bit of a finagler, cheating pretty much everyone on the side.

I won't spoil the plot, but at a big moment, Ian Holm, a rival restauranteur (I think; been awhile!) who is trying to steal away Shalhoub and shut them down, tells Tucci that his brother is a real artist, while he, Holm, "is a businessman. I have to be whatever I'm needed to be, every two minutes." Or something like that.


But then Holm, looking at Tucci, asks him. "But what are you?" Neither businessman nor craftsman, Tucci looks miserable.

In the same vein, there are great field managers and great clubhouse managers. Buck Showalter, for instance, is an outstanding field manager. Joe Torre was a poor field manager—but maybe the greatest clubhouse manager of all time, considering all he had to do to handle Mad King George, the New York press, and put the Yankees back together again.

Occasionally—very occasionally—as with Casey Stengel or his mentor, Muggsy McGraw, you get someone who is both a great field manager and a great clubhouse manager.


I don't think anyone believes that Ma Boone is an outstanding field manager. But hey, who really could be under Brian Cashman? Forced, as any manager inevitably would be, to play along with Cashman's body-wrecking, sport-killing version of Three True Outs Outcomes baseball. (Though disturbingly, Ma seems to be a true believer, too.)


That leaves clubhouse manager. Which, in some ways—in these days of runaway salaries, union arbitration, and the like—is harder than ever to be good at. 

The days of overturning postgame buffet tables, obscenity-filled tongue lashings, and punitive fines and benchings by managers are long gone. As Phil Jackson demonstrated, while coaching his team of stars through six championships, skippers today often have to resort to some whacky, Zen shit (my new garage band name!), to keep a team going. This is especially true in baseball, during the dog days of August.

I try not to be naive. I understand that there will be untold temptations for young men, unduly burdened by riches and testosterone, venturing into the lush folds of California. Maybe, during their stay by the Bay, our boys got into some especially fine jeroboams of Napa Valley Zinfandel. Maybe Giancarlo introduced them to one of Priscilla Quintana's highly pressable posses of models/actresses.

Hey, it happens! But no matter what the excuse for this weekend's abominable play by the Bay, it's up to a good clubhouse manager to keep his team focused and winning.  

Not even our "Hit Strikes Hard" philosophy—not even the garbage truck full of washed-up, broken-down ballplayers that Brian Cashman has once again dumped on us—can account for how horribly this Yankees team played, Friday-Sunday, against maybe the worst team in baseball. 

The one-hit-in-11-innings extravaganza on Saturday night. Performances nearly as bad, against pitchers who are some of the very worst in the majors, the day before and after. Combined, as usual, with bone-headed base running blunders, bad clutch pitching, and some terrible fielding at key moments.

Nor is this some aberration. We have been seeing this sort of play from these knuckleheads, on and off, for months now. It is indicative, I think, that after weeks and weeks of slumping, this Yankees team is still leading the AL in run differential. When they feel like concentrating, these Yanks can hand out a beating. 

When they don't—which is more and more and more often—their play is lackadaisical. It is indifferent. It is insulting.

Which brings us back to Ma Boone. If you're not a good field manager, then you have to be a good clubhouse manager. If you can't keep your team focused, even for a week at a time, then you're not a good clubhouse manager. 

But if you're not either, then...what are you?





 

36 comments:

Publius said...

Boone's tenure as Yankees manager has been like Shaloub's character in "The Man Who Wasn't There" says, paraphrasing Fritz or Werner or whoever, "The more you look, the less you know. It's a true fact. In a way, it's the only fact there is."

The Hammer of God said...

Indeed, Hoss!

My personal theory: Boone is the great Yankee cosmonaut, pressing blinking buttons on the rocket ship's control console, about to crash land on the Yucaton peninsula, because he pressed the button marked "SELF DESTRUCT", with tiny letters underneath stating "press only in case quarantine by death necessary due to alien infestation". Which button's blinking action was knowingly activated by the Evil Weasel.

If you ask Boone himself, I think he'd say something like this, courtesy of the Beatles, you know:

I am he as you are he as you are me
And we are all together
See how they run like pigs from a gun
See how they fly
I'm crying
Sitting on a corn flake
Waiting for the van to come
Corporation T-shirt, stupid bloody Tuesday
Man you've been a naughty boy
You let your face grow long
I am the egg man
They are the egg men
I am the walrus
Goo goo g'joob

So there you have it: Boone is he as you are he as you are Boone. He is the egg man. He is the walrus. Or something like that.

By the way, I just looked up the lyrics on the internet to copy them on to here. And I swear that all these years, I thought the lyrics were "I am the ape man"! Never would've guessed egg man.

Rufus T. Firefly said...

He's Peewee Herman.

JM said...

Perhaps Major Tom.

ranger_lp said...

Fun fact from Twitter...

The Yankees are 19-27 since Carlos Beltran was last in the booth. They were 59-23 before he suddenly vanished. It seems we‘ve found what went wrong

BTR999 said...

I was pretty much OK with Joe Girardi, but I felt his time here had run it’s course. But I was horrified when they hired Boone out of the broadcast booth with no experience at all as a manager. What kind of an organization does that? I recall his bland, glad handing intro news conference, and said to myself this exactly what this team does NOT need. For me, Boone has been even worse than expected, and had he been managing a small market team he’d have been gone long ago. It angers me, when I hear sportswriters and broadcasters defend him, always based on some variation of “look at his overall record”, ignoring the fact that any MLB coach or manager could easily do as well. In the crucible of October under the glare of scrutiny is when his true incompetence is revealed. The consequence of his repeated failures? A brand new contract! How he must caper and gibber before his evil dwarf boss! I join the chorus of the many here in the ONE true outcome. The Yankees will never win a World Series with Boone at the helm.

Doug K. said...

Hammer - I am an ape man is The Kinks

Hoss - Nice take and a GREAT movie that most people have not seen.



HoraceClarke66 said...

999—What kind of organization does that? An organization that wants someone they can easily manipulate.

Hammer—Man, you should've seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe.

But hey, what movie is that from?

The Hammer of God said...

@Doug K., no, I meant that I've been hearing "I am an ape man" in that Beatles song all these years. (And probably singing "I am an ape man" too.) And I just found out that it's "I am an egg man", not ape man. Wow, that was a surprise!

Sort of like that commercial where someone thinks the Clash's song, "rockin' the casbah" was "rockin' the catbox"!

I don't know if I've ever heard the Kinks's Ape Man. I'll check it out on youtube.

The Hammer of God said...

@Hoss, I never even knew there was a movie involved. Wiki says the song "I am a Walrus" is from the t.v. movie "Magical Mystery Tour" (1967). Was also released on the Magical Mystery Tour EP and on a B side as a single.

The Hammer of God said...

There is a website for songs with misheard lyrics, btw. One of my favorites is from an Elton John song. Somebody thought it was "count the head lice on the highway"!

Beauregard Jackson Pickett Burnside said...

Neither cook nor businessman, Boone is the turkey. He’s a goner and should manage like one. We have a VP at work who retired, then they made her stay 6 months for a transition…. She’s been doing nothing but settling scores. We hate her now but she’s never been more efficient. She’s scoring more than the Yanks.

ranger_lp said...

Here a fun quiz:

https://www.sporcle.com/games/NYYFan18/2022-yankees-roster

Doug K. said...

Hammer - I've seen similar sites. A funny one was a Hendrix lyric

"S'cuse me while I kiss this guy"

Ape Man is along the same theme as 20th Century Man and somewhere on the song tree that contains the Danny Kaye classic, "bongo bongo bongo I don't want to leave the Congo."

The Hammer of God said...

@BTR999, it wasn't just Boone with zero experience. The pitching coach they hired, Blake, was a former college pitcher but he had zero experience pitching for a professional team. Never made it to the minors, I guess. I questioned whether such a pitching coach would be able to get major league pitchers through struggles and tough innings in the pennant race & playoffs.

Lots of guys hired with zero experience. But they like their players as grizzled vets with one foot in their career graves. I think they've got it ass-backwards. They should be hiring grizzled vets as managers/coaches. And the players should be much, much younger. But Cashman says he likes his players "finished" by the time they come up from the minors. And they indeed are finished, like, their careers are finished when they're finally brought up at age 28 or 29.

Doug K. said...

ranger - It's only fun if you can spell -which is not my strength

ranger_lp said...

@Doug - LOL know what u mean there...

Publius said...

I think I'm sophisticated 'cause I'm running my team like a good sabermetrician

But the team on the field loses ugly and the fans really hate me, man
I'm nowhere near as good as the execs in LA and St Lou, man
'Cause compared to Freidman and Theo and Billy Beane I am a Cashman

I think I'm so educated and so civilized 'cause I'm a hard headed businessman
But with the luxury taxation and arbitration and deadline transactions and crazy shift positions
I don't feel safe in the Bronx no more
I don't want to lose in the first week of October
I want to rapel down a Connecticut skyscraper and make like a Cashman

I'm a Cashman, I'm a Cash, Cashman, oh I'm a Cashman

I'm George's yes man, I'm an overpromoted child, oh I'm a Cashman

'Cause compared to George Weiss looking down from the sky
Compared to Stick Michael and his sharp eye
Compared to Preller and Anthopolous and Dusty Baker's guy
I am a Cashman

In the Yankees' evolution there's been stretches of dominance and the occassional stumble
But under my direction it's been consistent mediocrity and lots of trades to fumble

'Cause the only time I feel at ease is pretending there's value in washed up hitting designees
Oh what a life of luxury to live like a Cashman

I'm a Cashman, oh I'm a Cash Cash man, I'm a Cashman

Oh come on and sign it, stay in Cashman's world
Judgey, c'mon sign it, so what if no flags unfurl?

I'm a Cashman, I'm a Cash, I'm a Cash I'm a Cash Cashman, I'm a Cashman

I don't feel safe in the Bronx no more
I don't want to lose in the first week of October
I want to rapel down a Connecticut skyscraper
And live like a Cashman







Rufus T. Firefly said...

https://dangerousminds.net/comments/the_true_story_of_why_john_lennon_nicknamed_eric_burdon_the_eggman

TheWinWarblist said...

A useless turdlet has been opined in these webpages more than once, no?

Rufus T. Firefly said...

Winnie,

I've been called worse. By you even.

Doug K. said...

pub-

really good rewrite of Ape Man! Well done sir.

Doug K. said...

pub - sang it again and it's even better. outstanding!

HoraceClarke66 said...

Love it, Publius!

"I don't want to die in a nuclear war
I just want to go to a distant shore
And live like an ape man..."

HoraceClarke66 said...

Thanks for that clarification, Rufus. Sylvia sounds like a lot of fun.

HoraceClarke66 said...

For years, I thought that Elvis Costello was singing, "I wanna play bass on the floor," instead of "I'm up late pain' the floor..."

I once got to tell Patti Smith that I thought her lyric, "Oh we had such a brainiac-amour" was "Oh, we had such a maniacal morn."
She laughed. But, you know, how could you guess "brainiac amour"?

HoraceClarke66 said...

That should be "pacin' the floor." Damned autocorrect.

HoraceClarke66 said...

And yes, Hammer, you're right. Old, experienced managers and coaches, young players.

The Hammer of God said...

@Publius, that's awesome, yes fits beautifully to that song.

@Doug K., I listened to the Kinks's Ape Man on youtube. I haven't heard that one in decades and had quite forgot about it. They were great at writing those "I wish I was someone else/I wish I were somewhere else" kind of songs, weren't they? ("Superman" comes to mind - "superman, superman, I wanna fly like superman." And "Low Budget" ("I'm on a looowww budget ...." So remarkably prescient and fitting for current times, too.)

FM radio today only plays the same dozen or two dozen songs over and over. The local rock station today would never play the Kinks's Ape Man. A lot of great songs have disappeared from the airwaves. For instance, they never play the Doors's WASP (Texas Radio and the Big Beat) any more. (Perhaps because Morrison sings about "the negroes in the forest ...". But there was no rascist intent on Morrison's part, I'm sure. That was the language back then.) In the '80s, that played all the time on FM radio.

So many great songs, but now they only play stuff like "Don't Bring Me Down" by Electric Light Orchestra. Which I'm sick to death of hearing, with its incessant, annoying riff, like some kind of washing machine on steroids. It's one of those generic sounding songs that you're better off if you've never heard it, in my opinion. I always switch off the radio when I hear the opening strains of "Don't Bring Me Down".

HoraceClarke66 said...

One must now use the internet instead. The censorship is crazy; a book author was telling me yesterday that the "sensitivity reader" at her publisher wanted her to change a description of a character having "crazed eyes." She claimed it was insulting to the mentally ill.

Doug K. said...

Hammer - I saw Ray Davies do a one man show in Marin. It was really good.

Also read his "autobiography"

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/681549.X_Ray

Very interesting mind, that one.

Texas Radio and the Big Beat is one of my favorites as well.

I use an internet service for "radio". But I have around 8,000 mp3s. I use them to write to so there are a lot of different genres to help me get into the head space I need to. Film soundtracks seem to work best. Anything with no lyrics really.

Hoss - Seeing the words "sensitivity reader" makes me happy I consider myself retired. I'd end up more redacted than a DOJ search warrant for Mar-A-Lago.


AboveAverage said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AboveAverage said...

I dropped the ball today (so far) on sharing what I saw yesterday in Oakland because I was slammed with a project.

I'll distill it down and endeavor (there is no endeavor - there is only DO) to share it later on the game thread.

You got me grumblin', goin' out of my mind
You got me thinkin' that I'm wastin' my time
The Yankees Suck
YES YES YES they do
in 2022
I'll tell you once more before I grumble some more
The Yankees Suck

BTR999 said...

That was well done, Pub!

I’ve been a fan of the Kinks since forever. IMHO, perhaps the most underrated “classic” rock band.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Can't wait to hear, AA.

And I love that "endeavor" line. Anybody here see "The Dropout"?

Hinkey Haines said...

I saw Big Night with my dad. Can’t make an omelette without thinking of that film.