Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Monday, May 16, 2016

After 36 games, a perfect match

The 1966 Yankees won their 36th game, putting on an offensive display in an 11-6 win over the Angels. Mantle hit two HRs.

After 36 games, their record was 16-20.

The 2016 Yankees won their 36th game, putting on an offensive display (for them) in a 7-5 win over the White Sox. Beltran and McCann homered.

After 36 games, our record is 16-20.

The lineup for both of those 36th games below. Tracking pretty closely so far.

For the record, the scorecard and official program is no longer 25 cents and box seats cost more than a few bucks.

FUN FACT: Back in the 1960's, many Yankees players stayed at the Stadium Motor Lodge. Players who did not live in New York or near the stadium would stay here during the season. The lodge was just a short walk to Yankee Stadium. It still stands today but is used as a homeless shelter for men.





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

DID WE HAVE TO SEND SANCHEZ DOWN THE NEXT DAY AFTER FACING THE TOUGHEST PITCHER ON THE PLANET???......MADE NO SENSE TO BRING HIM UP FOR 1 DAY.....I KNOW ROMINE HAS BEEN GOOD, BUT LETS NOT GUZZLE THE KOOL AID.....THE FASTER WE REALIZE WE NEED TO GET SANCHEZ, AND JUDGE'S TALENT AND YOUTH ONTO THE BIG CLUB, THE BETTER WE WILL BE......REMEMBER, IF WE DON'T INCORPORATE THE YOUTH SOONER THIS SEASON, WE WILL BE DOOMED TO ANOTHER "DEAD END" AT THE END OF THE SEASON....(AND I AM NOT TALKING SEPTEMBER CALL UPS. IT MUST BE MUCH EARLIER IN THE SEASON. I WOULD SAY THE ALL-STAR BREAK OR EARLY AUGUST THE ABSOLUTE LATEST).

el duque said...

This comparison terrifies me.

JM said...

I just thought I'd check the parallel and see how we're doing, Duque. It was astonishing.

Ceeja said...

Yeah, I remember the 1966 team. Sure looked good on paper, but as the season went on, too much age, injury, and an inability to hit.

Here's another scary thought -- the 1966 team was better. Wouldn't you take White over Gardner, Richardson over Castro, Tresh over Headley, Mantle over Ellsbury, and Maris over Beltran???

Isiyku Abdulahi said...

I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.